Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2024, 11:47 AM

17,636 posts, read 13,430,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Be careful and read the fine print. My mother-in-law's family purchased a large enough plot (in California) for the parents and kids and their spouses, she being the youngest and last. When she passed in 2013 we had the cremation done, got the permit to take the remains across state lines and went to the cemetery. While the plot was fully paid for back in 1906, they charged us $3,200 to dig the small hole to bury the urn. The fine print on the original agreement required payment for the labor "at the current rates at that time" so they could charge whatever they wanted for 5 minutes work.
Our plots included opening and closing labor costs. Something that anyone buying plots should prepay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2024, 01:00 PM

88,700 posts, read 85,065,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemlock140 View Post
here in our state there are places that turn the body into soil for growing a tree, but the tree pod burial is also legal and quite popular here.

https://earthfuneral.com/?utm_term=g...saaegjqf_d_bwe

https://earthfuneral.com/?utm_term=g...saaegjqf_d_bwe
thank you!

Old 02-28-2024, 01:15 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,687 posts, read 81,455,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Very smart move on your part. Plus, it takes a lot of pressure off your children or family

When my father died 40 years ago his funeral was 4K

Mom died a few years later years ago and her funeral was 5-6K

When we paid for our funeral it was 10K

A good friend's ex-wife is dying and his daughter just paid +/- 15K

All at the same funeral home and all basically the same services (ours are exactly the same as my marents, including the same coffin. Not sure what coffin our friend's daughter just bought, but all ather funeral services are the same)
For the last 4 family members that we have lost, my Mother in law, Stepfather, Mother, and an Aunt, the cost was under $1,000 each, $695 for the cremation and varying cost of the urn. Only the one had a cost for burial with her husband, the rest we buried or scattered ourselves. None had any kind of formal funeral service because only immediate family was left (in their 90s) so we just did family memorial pot-lucks at someone's house.

Old 02-28-2024, 01:49 PM

24,713 posts, read 11,044,214 times
About ten years ago MIL happily let us know that she has purchased adjacent lots for her/FIL/SIL/SO/me. We just left her in her believe that we will always be happily together.
We will get cremated and ashes spread. Probably under a briar bush for me:>)

Old 02-28-2024, 03:54 PM

5,775 posts, read 11,412,414 times
Just to toss a little humor into this topic, I recall a co-worker named Alice from 20+ years ago. She was no doubt one of the most jubilant people in the work group. She was in her 40s when cancer struck and put her on a downward spiral. She left work during the chemo and other treatments but those were not enough to save her. Many at work kept in touch with her through her last months of life. Alice decided to buy a burial plot for her grave at a nearby cemetery, so a friend from work went along to lend some emotional support for that transaction. The next day, we heard about Alice's comment after buying the burial plot - she said hey, for the first time in my life, I'm a property owner!

Old 02-28-2024, 04:11 PM

909 posts, read 671,384 times
My brother already said he wants a 'green' burial out on the land he owns. And yes, it is legal.
I know my grandfather had family buried on their farm in South Dakota back in the day.

Old 02-28-2024, 04:35 PM

384 posts, read 666,766 times
We bought 2 plots over 50 years ago when we were 1st married. We have no children and have decided to be cremated and have the ashes spread since there is no reason to have a plot that no one will come to. Trying to sell the plots is almost impossible. The cemetery does not want to buy them back. Good luck with trying to sell them.

Old 02-28-2024, 04:38 PM

10,623 posts, read 12,167,534 times
Sorry of this sounds uninformed -- the truth is -- I don't know....

What's the difference between digging a grave and reopening a grave.

I found an old price list for the cemetery where my parents are (buried, of course), and it had two prices listed separately for those services. And given that there was only a $100.00 price difference, I really don't get why they even have two prices.

Old 02-28-2024, 08:58 PM

88,700 posts, read 85,065,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
Just to toss a little humor into this topic, I recall a co-worker named Alice from 20+ years ago. She was no doubt one of the most jubilant people in the work group. She was in her 40s when cancer struck and put her on a downward spiral. She left work during the chemo and other treatments but those were not enough to save her. Many at work kept in touch with her through her last months of life. Alice decided to buy a burial plot for her grave at a nearby cemetery, so a friend from work went along to lend some emotional support for that transaction. The next day, we heard about Alice's comment after buying the burial plot - she said hey, for the first time in my life, I'm a property owner!
I always said the only piece of land I would ever own would be my cemetery plot! I could never imagine my self being able to to get a down payment. But life did change for the better, and I bought my own place, a condo, at the age of 52.

Sorry about your coworker's abbreviated life, and interesting that she had a sense of humor despite it all.

Old 02-28-2024, 10:07 PM

17,636 posts, read 13,430,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Sorry of this sounds uninformed -- the truth is -- I don't know....

What's the difference between digging a grave and reopening a grave.

I found an old price list for the cemetery where my parents are (buried, of course), and it had two prices listed separately for those services. And given that there was only a $100.00 price difference, I really don't get why they even have two prices.
The correct terminology, at least years ago, is opening and closing the the grave. It is a separate charge from owning the plot and can be paid upfront, just like perpetual care
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement