Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2024, 06:28 AM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
My husband passed away in August at the age of 83. I'm just a few years younger and have felt "lost" ever since. Out of lonliness I started eating lunch at a local senior center in the fall and one day a man at my table asked for my phone number.

Actually, this man asked my friend for my phone number, she called me to see if I was okay with that. I said I guess so.

Months later, by Valentine's Day, I was still dubious even though we'd been seeing each other about twice a week. Dubious because this man is in his late 80s and anyway I still feel lost and depressed. But Valentine's Day was okay. This man called and came over with one of those heart shaped boxes of chocolates. Then we sat on the couch and played Scrabble. It took the pain out of Valentine's Day and even though I keep wondering what's the point in dating at this age, this relationship seems to be helping and my Valentine's Day was just fine.
I'm so sorry for your loss. It's sweet that you and your new gentleman friend have found each other and that you have a nice companionship at this stage of life. I'm glad you were able to spend Valentine's Day together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2024, 06:44 AM

387 posts, read 1,331,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
My husband passed away in August at the age of 83. I'm just a few years younger and have felt "lost" ever since. Out of lonliness I started eating lunch at a local senior center in the fall and one day a man at my table asked for my phone number.

Actually, this man asked my friend for my phone number, she called me to see if I was okay with that. I said I guess so.

Months later, by Valentine's Day, I was still dubious even though we'd been seeing each other about twice a week. Dubious because this man is in his late 80s and anyway I still feel lost and depressed. But Valentine's Day was okay. This man called and came over with one of those heart shaped boxes of chocolates. Then we sat on the couch and played Scrabble. It took the pain out of Valentine's Day and even though I keep wondering what's the point in dating at this age, this relationship seems to be helping and my Valentine's Day was just fine.
What a great Valentine story. Companionship is so important. I have 'guy' friends that I like to go out to eat with or go to the movies. Not interested in serious dating but still nice to go out and sometimes have a male point of view.

Old 02-20-2024, 11:38 PM

1,204 posts, read 933,989 times
I had a quintessential retiree’s Valentine’s Day. A good friend needed medical treatment on Monday far enough away from where we both live that it involved an overnight stay. I drove him there, intending to stay one night and then drive him back. Turned out he had to be in the hospital for a few nights. So we spent those days hanging out in the hospital, including Valentine’s Day. The friendship became stronger as a result of this time together, so it had a happy ending, well suited to the holiday.

(The friend had a complete recovery, as complete as it gets in your senior years.)

Old 02-20-2024, 11:51 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
I got some nice Galentine's Day cards this year.

Old 02-21-2024, 05:17 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
I would like to thank all those who sent me such kind rep comments as well as those in this thread who said such nice things. There is nothing that takes the place of your lost spouse but there seems to be something about male companionship that I need, at least for now. He's not a "boyfriend" lol and I know I need to get back to my women friends again too.

I don't especially like to talk about these things but I guess we have to. MQ, you really have my sympathy for what you went through. This is life. Give thanks for each tiny victory--that's my way of thinking lately. All in all, it's mostly a losing battle but there are silver linings on most of those clouds.

Old 02-23-2024, 01:13 PM

4,276 posts, read 5,931,553 times
No Cards and No Gifts. House Rules.
We went out to Dinner the night before as we have had msny bad experiences when dining out on the Holiday, long waits for table, slow service, poorly prepared food, etc.
Going the night befoe avoids all of that.

Old 02-25-2024, 06:30 AM

20,099 posts, read 8,998,912 times
Wife gives me the same Valentine's card every year. Keeps it in a drawer.

Old 02-25-2024, 07:45 AM

10,089 posts, read 6,420,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
I'm glad this topic is not on the Relationship forum. No reason why singles shouldn't post on a topic like this.

After work I went to a Division 1 Women's College Basketball game, Lafayette vs. Loyola (Maryland). Loyola won. There were a few singles scattered about but I was surprised the attendance was so low, especially since the team is currently playing very well. I guess I shouldn't have been. They were thankful to those in attendance for coming to the game. A great evening of entertainment for $7.00.
That's great to hear about Loyola - I graduated from there. I always found it amusing that around 75% of the evening school students were Jewish in classrooms with crucifixes everywhere on the walls. Attendance used to drop very sharply during the High Holidays. As far as my Valentines Day went, I gave the cats an extra can of Fancy Feast as a treat.

Old 02-25-2024, 10:24 AM

903 posts, read 663,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
No Cards and No Gifts. House Rules.
We went out to Dinner the night before as we have had msny bad experiences when dining out on the Holiday, long waits for table, slow service, poorly prepared food, etc.
Going the night befoe avoids all of that.
We stopped cards and gifts for all holidays over 20 years ago. We have everything we need. I would rather hear the words then read them. We had fun reminiscing about past Valentine's Days.

Old 02-28-2024, 02:55 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I did not remember it was Valentine's Day until late in the afternoon. I don't think I ever had a really standard romantic Valentine's Day, meaning where someone sent roses or gave me a schmaltzy card, but my late bf and I would go into town early on February 15 to see how much half-price chocolate we could score at the two drugstores. That was fun. Good memory that makes me smile.

We did the same thing after Easter, lol.
I wasn't expecting anything and yet the spouse showed up with a two-pound box of chocolates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement