Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2024, 05:29 PM

11,377 posts, read 9,293,598 times

Advertisements

I'm glad this topic is not on the Relationship forum. No reason why singles shouldn't post on a topic like this.

After work I went to a Division 1 Women's College Basketball game, Lafayette vs. Loyola (Maryland). Loyola won. There were a few singles scattered about but I was surprised the attendance was so low, especially since the team is currently playing very well. I guess I shouldn't have been. They were thankful to those in attendance for coming to the game. A great evening of entertainment for $7.00.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2024, 08:05 PM

32,947 posts, read 36,405,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrolman View Post
Since it was also Ash Wednesday, I went to early Mass. Feasted on a large stack of banana pancakes afterwards. My wife has been gone 47 years, so no romance for me.
I would have invited you to my place for dinner, but I don't cook well enough for you to travel 2,700 miles. We could have found something in the vinyl collection to dance to (something slow)*, and held hands while we watched an old movie.

*We don't need to fracture anything.

Old 02-18-2024, 08:44 PM

88,630 posts, read 84,895,898 times
I did not remember it was Valentine's Day until late in the afternoon. I don't think I ever had a really standard romantic Valentine's Day, meaning where someone sent roses or gave me a schmaltzy card, but my late bf and I would go into town early on February 15 to see how much half-price chocolate we could score at the two drugstores. That was fun. Good memory that makes me smile.

We did the same thing after Easter, lol.

Old 02-18-2024, 09:33 PM

35,099 posts, read 31,350,535 times
Uneventful.

I live an hour and a half away from my girlfriend. We went on a short trip the weekend prior to Valentine's Day, which was our third anniversary. I was home alone that evening.

Old 02-18-2024, 10:11 PM

3,381 posts, read 1,975,815 times
We've been married over forty years and with so many birthday, Mother's Day, Valentine's Day, anniversaries and other commemorative events in our time together I truly and emphatically do not want any more gifts.

However, my husband did do something special that made me very very happy. He went to Costco and brought home one of their sundaes which I absolutely love but often hesitate to buy because of the calories. I could not have been happier if he had bought me a diamond necklace! He also brought home flowers (something he does often) and a funny card but it was the sundae and his thoughtfulness that made my day

Old 02-19-2024, 06:29 AM

7,114 posts, read 4,835,961 times
We went out to dinner with another couple we’ve known for years. The restaurant is fairly new, but has been around long enough to have gotten all the kinks out of their service.

A beautiful venue, we’ve been wanting to try it. Well, it was awful. The service was bad, the food was mediocre bordering on bad.

The owner was at the door thanking people as we were leaving, and asked how everything was. My husband told him how bad it was. He offered to have us come back again “on him”. We said no thanks.

It was bad enough to be amusing. But I’m glad we got to try it, glad we are able to do these types of outings still.

Old 02-19-2024, 01:06 PM

206 posts, read 137,924 times
Did anyone snitch on their ex?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...ay/ar-BB1hX30k

Central Texas authorities have the perfect gift for your ex for Valentine's Day

Do you have a former significant other who you know broke the law? Here's your chance to turn them in!

Crime Stoppers is offering "reservations" for those who know anyone with outstanding warrants in Hays County
  • A set of limited-edition, diamond-studded platinum bracelets
  • A free chauffeured ride with some of Hays County's finest
  • 5-star accommodations with full amenities, including a bed and toilet
  • A professional photo that will last a lifetime
  • A gourmet Valentine's Day dinner for those who make their reservations before Feb. 14

Officials say there's no limit on how many people you can refer to them and that no coupon is required

Old 02-19-2024, 04:37 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,799,188 times
Flowers and Cards for spouse and then off to the Tennessee mountains to explore the bluegrass and old time music scene. Even got to see a little scattered snow. Bonus was daughter and her husband joined us there. Got home last night.

Old 02-19-2024, 09:41 PM

26,657 posts, read 28,714,563 times
My husband passed away in August at the age of 83. I'm just a few years younger and have felt "lost" ever since. Out of lonliness I started eating lunch at a local senior center in the fall and one day a man at my table asked for my phone number.

Actually, this man asked my friend for my phone number, she called me to see if I was okay with that. I said I guess so.

Months later, by Valentine's Day, I was still dubious even though we'd been seeing each other about twice a week. Dubious because this man is in his late 80s and anyway I still feel lost and depressed. But Valentine's Day was okay. This man called and came over with one of those heart shaped boxes of chocolates. Then we sat on the couch and played Scrabble. It took the pain out of Valentine's Day and even though I keep wondering what's the point in dating at this age, this relationship seems to be helping and my Valentine's Day was just fine.

Old 02-20-2024, 05:23 AM

387 posts, read 1,332,625 times
I am a widow. In January I made lunch plans with 4 friends for Valentine's Day. Three are women, the other a man. We met for lunch at a local Mexican Restaurant.

We had a great time. I stopped at a local chocolate shop and brought some truffles. Another brought cupcakes. We talked about past Valentine's Day. We laughed so hard.

I also belong to a Facebook group-Letters Against Isolation. You mail cards, notes to seniors in various homes or who receive Meals on Wheels. I bought 20 Valentine's and mailed them to various addresses throughout the USA. Also sent some to family and friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement