Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2024, 01:35 PM

35,011 posts, read 16,972,291 times

Advertisements

This is a somewhat difficult post to write, and I am not sure it is in the right place. I am informed that most of the cases of this arise at over age 65, so I picked Retirement. On January 20, 2024 I suffered a significant attack of Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (embedded link). When I woke up severely dizzy around 4:30 a.m., after going to the restroom I took my temperature (normal) and my blood pressure (also normal, but when I had something like this years ago it had spiked.

I saw my internist the following Tuesday, and a neurologist a week later. Since then , I have been recovering, with some issues. It is bad enough that I canceled a pending trip to Israel in March.

Anyone hear of this?

Last edited by jbgusa; 02-15-2024 at 01:39 PM.. Reason: Add information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2024, 02:26 PM

22,568 posts, read 47,624,621 times
Mom has it. It is what made a walker mandatory for her.

Old 02-15-2024, 02:48 PM

2,103 posts, read 1,931,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
On January 20, 2024 I suffered a significant attack of Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (embedded link).

Anyone hear of this?
Yes, it happened to me twice. The first time I went to a doctor and he fixed it on the spot by performing an Epley maneuver. When it happened the second time few years later, I did the maneuver myself. My husband suffered the same thing shortly after that and the symptoms also went away after a few maneuver tries.

Here are some youtube videos and info on doing the Epley maneuvers to treat BPPV vertigo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4S4...nel=Bob%26Brad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SLm...el=FauquierENT

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/heal...epley-maneuver

Quote:
Follow these steps if the problem is with your right ear:

Start by sitting on a bed.
Turn your head 45 degrees to the right.
Quickly lie back, keeping your head turned. Your shoulders should now be on the pillow, and your head should be reclined. Wait 30 seconds.
Turn your head 90 degrees to the left, without raising it. Your head will now be looking 45 degrees to the left. Wait another 30 seconds.
Turn your head and body another 90 degrees to the left, into the bed. Wait another 30 seconds.
Sit up on the left side.

Follow these steps if the problem is with your left ear:

Start by sitting on a bed.
Turn your head 45 degrees to the left.
Quickly lie back, keeping your head turned. Your shoulders should now be on the pillow, and your head should be reclined. Wait 30 seconds.
Turn your head 90 degrees to the right, without raising it. Your head will now be looking 45 degrees to the right. Wait another 30 seconds.
Turn your head and body another 90 degrees to the right, into the bed. Wait another 30 seconds.
Sit up on the right side.

Old 02-16-2024, 06:04 AM

2,105 posts, read 3,009,133 times
Yes I had problems with it a few years ago. Bouncing off the walls big time.
Physical therapy and home exercises. I haven't had any severe episodes since.
I still have dizziness at times but from neck issues.

Old 02-16-2024, 09:21 AM

12,031 posts, read 6,563,490 times
Yes, I’ve had it every time I get real congested and my ears plug up. I have small ear tubes and they easily make the crystals that cause it.
The dizziness is wretched !!

The Epley maneuver always works for me if I do it three times a day and usually by second day I recover fully if I catch it early on. Once it took four days of doing it, but each day got a little better.
There are other similar maneuvers that also break up the crystals in your ears —YouTube has good videos on various maneuvers — type search for positional vertigo.

Don’t worry it’s common and benign — and good luck to you!

Old 02-16-2024, 01:24 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,969,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
This is a somewhat difficult post to write, and I am not sure it is in the right place. I am informed that most of the cases of this arise at over age 65, so I picked Retirement. On January 20, 2024 I suffered a significant attack of Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (embedded link). When I woke up severely dizzy around 4:30 a.m., after going to the restroom I took my temperature (normal) and my blood pressure (also normal, but when I had something like this years ago it had spiked.

I saw my internist the following Tuesday, and a neurologist a week later. Since then , I have been recovering, with some issues. It is bad enough that I canceled a pending trip to Israel in March.

Anyone hear of this?
I had to ask the question to Google of the vertigo I had, calcium deposits in the inner ear breaking lose and.....YEP! Same thing! https://www.mountsinai.org/locations...tional-vertigo

When it happened to me, it was miserable. Had to take, the first time, 2-3 days off. Then, later on, "lighter" sessions came back, when I was at work. One time, I think I was able to get home, using the lines of Herbert Jefferson, Jr. from classical "B. Galactica" to guide me:

"Lieutenant, you obviously can barely stand!"--Colonel Tigh
"The Viper is flown from the seated position, Sir."--Lt. Boomer

.......but another time, my co workers had to drive me home. I was clinging to one as he walked me to the shotgun seat of my car, and two of them got me back to the ranch.

For me, it wasn't serious, it was expected at my age, and I have been in the lines of work where it, vertigo, can happen so I guess I something to ease my mind about it.....................BUT STILL!

They, my clinic, got me some physical therapy with suggestions and so far, 2 or so years later, so good. .......

.........but it is disconcerning enough.

Old 02-16-2024, 02:43 PM

5,451 posts, read 4,045,402 times
I have had it a few times, usually manifests with a rapid turn over when I wake up. I haven't needed treatment for it yet.

Old 02-16-2024, 03:14 PM

332 posts, read 286,627 times
Yes, it happened to me. 4:30 in the morning when I got up to use the restroom. I went to the Urgency Room after a few days of doing the Epely Maneuver. They couldn't give a definitive cause. I think it was a combination of dehydration, fatigue, and a Migraine. I didn't pursue specialized Physical Therapy. When I get up in the middle of the night now, I sit for a bit to make sure I'm steady. Almost 64; things are starting to go south physically.... Still I'm happy to be able to enjoy each day!

Old 02-16-2024, 07:34 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,253,478 times
Had one attack years ago; it was awful. Room spinning, nausea, etc. ENT doc did the Epley maneuver and although I felt incredibly nauseated for the rest of the day, the BPPV did get better and eventually went away. I learned to change positions slowly. If I ever get it again, I will do the Epley at home. I have had patients who did it and it worked for them. It does not work 100% of the time, so if it does not, it's time to see the doctor.

Old 02-16-2024, 08:00 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,176,492 times
Yup - came down with vertigo almost a year ago (which was very bad timing - had to cancel a trip that I was looking forward to). Like previous posters have already said: Epley manuever is what I was told to do (several times a day)...it helped, and eventually (over the next two months or so), the symptoms lessened - until they disappeared altogether after another three months or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement