Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2024, 09:33 AM

312 posts, read 200,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
My wife wants to entertain in our home, I'm okay with a couple we are long time friends with, neighbors, not so much. A friendly chat at the fence line, sit with us by the firepit with a beverage is okay by me....entertain inside the home ......totally different animal to me, just don't feel it.
100% agree. Hanging out poolside/firepit or in the clubhouse is as close as I need to be to my 98% of my neighbors. I have gone to dinners/parties at their apartments, but never have to reciprocate because I don't have a dining table or chairs (exactly for this reason).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2024, 09:35 AM

22,668 posts, read 47,874,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
On an impulse i invited a couple over who live in the neighborhood.
Please give me some suggestions. Plan help plan my “event.” What would you do?

Did you ask them over for dessert after dinner?
Did you ask them for morning coffee?

What did you say when you invited them over? What did they agree to?

Old 02-14-2024, 10:17 AM

8,290 posts, read 8,701,039 times
I would have started with taking them out to dinner before I invited them to my home. You can learn a lot about a person by sitting in a restaurant with them.

Old 02-14-2024, 10:23 AM

88,831 posts, read 85,240,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
I found the 'safest' way to having new neighbors over is to invite them for brunch at the time of their choosing.

I can offer a variety of beverages be it coffee, tea, juice or just water.

I usually have a small buffet style of homemade foods for people to take whatever to their liking.

1. Bagels, croissants, muffins, toast with jams, butter and cheese
2. Fruits, crudité & cold cut, deviled eggs platters
3. Quiche and/or a hot casserole

I usually gift the guests small jars of my homemade jams if they seem to really enjoy it.

I don't invite new friends for dinner unless I know about their food and beverage preferences and/or any dietary restrictions.
Yes, brunch is also a good idea.

Old 02-14-2024, 01:00 PM

16,145 posts, read 7,127,414 times
Thank you all for all your responses. I feel better now, like a I can DO this.
The couple is not new to the neighborhood. Our little cul-de-sac has always been very friendly, although they live on a different street.
It is funny/sad how things change. When we moved here my kids were in elementary school and 3 of us moved in around the same time and became good friends, visited each other at home. But it was always at day time, to play bridge, but rarely at night too with spouses. The kids grew up, our friends moved and a bunch of young couples moved in about the same time. We invited everyone in the cul-de-sac over for a block party and everyone came, it was a lot of fun. Again we were visiting each others homes for parties. Their children grew up, went off to college and we hardly see them any more other than at passing, or dog walking.
I like the 2 PM "just for some drinks and cheese for a couple of hours in the afternoon" which was sort of the invitation anyway. I will skip the alcohol as neither of us drink anymore, have a couple of varieties of cheese, and some italian soda kind of things, fruit and crackers and something sweet. I don't want to pull out our coffee maker out of storage, so no coffee, but mulled cider, since it is cold outside.

Old 02-14-2024, 01:02 PM

16,145 posts, read 7,127,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
I found the 'safest' way to having new neighbors over is to invite them for brunch at the time of their choosing.

I can offer a variety of beverages be it coffee, tea, juice or just water.

I usually have a small buffet style of homemade foods for people to take whatever to their liking.

1. Bagels, croissants, muffins, toast with jams, butter and cheese
2. Fruits, crudité & cold cut, deviled eggs platters
3. Quiche and/or a hot casserole

I usually gift the guests small jars of my homemade jams if they seem to really enjoy it.

I don't invite new friends for dinner unless I know about their food and beverage preferences and/or any dietary restrictions.
Wow, that is very sweet and generous of you!

Old 02-14-2024, 01:26 PM

43,433 posts, read 18,529,978 times
Quote:
On an impulse i invited a couple over who live in the neighborhood. They are very nice, we enjoy talking with them when we meet them on our walks, like I did, or see them at town events. I am a bit out of practice in having just a couple over who are not also good friends we have known for a long while. We just dont entertain as we did once, and those were parties with close friends and lots of food. I am wondering if I should serve coffee and cake or wine and cheese or both. What time afternoon or evening? I know this sounds stupid but I am a bit nervous.
Please give me some suggestions. Plan help plan my “event.” What would you do?
So you don't know them well.

Afternoon with a deli spread..cheese, fruit. Wine, soda, Iced Tea.

I say this from a casual lifestyle perspective.
I don't know how casual or formal you are with entertaining.

Old 02-14-2024, 01:33 PM

88,831 posts, read 85,240,026 times
Quote:
Thank you all for all your responses. I feel better now, like a I can DO this.
The couple is not new to the neighborhood. Our little cul-de-sac has always been very friendly, although they live on a different street.
It is funny/sad how things change. When we moved here my kids were in elementary school and 3 of us moved in around the same time and became good friends, visited each other at home. But it was always at day time, to play bridge, but rarely at night too with spouses. The kids grew up, our friends moved and a bunch of young couples moved in about the same time. We invited everyone in the cul-de-sac over for a block party and everyone came, it was a lot of fun. Again we were visiting each others homes for parties. Their children grew up, went off to college and we hardly see them any more other than at passing, or dog walking.
I like the 2 PM "just for some drinks and cheese for a couple of hours in the afternoon" which was sort of the invitation anyway. I will skip the alcohol as neither of us drink anymore, have a couple of varieties of cheese, and some italian soda kind of things, fruit and crackers and something sweet. I don't want to pull out our coffee maker out of storage, so no coffee, but mulled cider, since it is cold outside.
My daughter does not drink alcohol, but she's always enjoying these fancy "mocktails", if you feel creative. There are a lot of ideas on the Internet, as well as a lot of new alcohol-free products.

Old 02-14-2024, 02:54 PM

7,780 posts, read 3,371,777 times
I am going to caution you about food. A lot of people are on specialized (low carb) diets. You need to not be offended if you miss the mark on food without asking them first. Same with alcohol as some people just do not drink.

Old 02-14-2024, 03:56 PM

2,889 posts, read 1,831,007 times
cb2008, How you made them feel by inviting them to your home ! Happy the responses reassured you; afternoon, your choice of refreshments sounds delightful !

Would so enjoy hearing you're visit, possibly encourage others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement