Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2024, 02:50 PM

505 posts, read 258,405 times

Advertisements

Just moved back to NC from VA and having to re-do my will and power of attorney and healhcare directives.

The software I am using ( Quicken Willmaker ) recommends "Everplans" as a way to safeguard important documents online.

So I am wondering if anyone has any experience with Everplans, good or bad. Is it helpful? Does it offer anything better than my simply encrypting my documents and backing them up myself? I have good encyption software and backup everything fairly often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2024, 04:47 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Though I may have used some web template to generate important documents like those, I don't store such things online. I keep a notarized/signed hard copy at home, a scan on the home computer hard drive or a flash drive/CD, and another on file with the trust company who will serve as my executor. My healthcare proxy, my PCP, and the local hospital I would most likely be transported to have copies of my advanced directive.

Old 02-13-2024, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Though I may have used some web template to generate important documents like those, I don't store such things online. I keep a notarized/signed hard copy at home, a scan on the home computer hard drive or a flash drive/CD, and another on file with the trust company who will serve as my executor. My healthcare proxy, my PCP, and the local hospital I would most likely be transported to have copies of my advanced directive.
Smart. I plan to do something similar, but might also use Everplans or something like it. Just to make it easy for my executor ( son or daughter ) to access everything. Also plan to store originals in a safe deposit box at my credit union.

What I don't know is whether or not Everplans would be worth the effort to use it.

Old 02-13-2024, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upminster-1 View Post
Smart. I plan to do something similar, but might also use Everplans or something like it. Just to make it easy for my executor ( son or daughter ) to access everything. Also plan to store originals in a safe deposit box at my credit union.

What I don't know is whether or not Everplans would be worth the effort to use it.
Frankly, how much easier would it be to hand a copy of the most current signed original to the person who needs it? Be careful about storing important originals in a safe deposit box. The bank will freeze your accounts upon notification of your death. That will probably include access to the box. A person who needs that original won't be able to get into it without a court order. Make sure anyone who will need access to the box's contents signs the signature card!

Last edited by Parnassia; 02-13-2024 at 05:10 PM..

Old 02-13-2024, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Frankly, how much easier would it be to hand a copy of the most current signed original to the person who needs it? Be careful about storing important originals in a safe deposit box. The bank will freeze your accounts upon notification of your death. That will probably include access to the box. A person who needs that original won't be able to get into it without a court order. Make sure anyone who will need access to the box's contents signs the signature card!
Indeed. My son will be a signatory and will have one of the two keys to the box. I will also provide him with signed and notarized "originals" ... I am just seeking redundancy and minimizing risk.

Old 02-13-2024, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upminster-1 View Post
Indeed. My son will be a signatory and will have one of the two keys to the box. I will also provide him with signed and notarized "originals" ... I am just seeking redundancy and minimizing risk.
I meant to mention the box key too. My dad gave one to me, but I had no urgent reason to get into the box anyway. He kept his will at home, we'd discussed my future executorship beforehand, and I knew where to find the original. That plus the DC generated the court authority I'd need. IME, you can have too much redundancy. That can make things more complicated because it is harder to keep everything current.

Old 02-13-2024, 05:29 PM

Quote:
I meant to mention the box key too. My dad gave one to me, but I had no urgent reason to get into the box anyway. He kept his will at home, we'd discussed my future executorship beforehand, and I knew where to find the original. That plus the DC generated the court authority I'd need.
Thanks for all the advice. Part of the reason for moving back here to NC was to be near family and get all my affairs in order, and to simplify things for me and my family. It is a sobering process, even though I plan to live for quite a while. Will be headed to the credit union in a few days to rent the box and get everything signed and notarized.

Old 02-14-2024, 04:01 PM

2,859 posts, read 1,802,529 times
Off topic ? Happy you're near family; yesterday fell, broke my arm. Praising my Lord for their care.

Old 02-14-2024, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sera View Post
Off topic ? Happy you're near family; yesterday fell, broke my arm. Praising my Lord for their care.
Sounds like your family is also a blessing ! Hope you heal quickly.

Old 02-17-2024, 07:45 AM

3,085 posts, read 2,213,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sera View Post
Sorry to hear about the accident! Hope you have a quick and easy recovery!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement