Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2024, 09:54 PM

6,627 posts, read 4,293,045 times

Advertisements

About 7 hours a night, sometimes a little more, sometimes less. Usually asleep by 2:00 and up by 9:00-9:30. Sometimes I wake up earlier, check the day’s news on my IPAD and go back to sleep. Truly a luxury of being retired.

Old 02-11-2024, 11:00 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
There was a poll asking, "Tonight, would you rather have a great night's sleep or great sex?"

The majority wanted a great night's sleep.
Eh, I can sleep when I'm dead.

Old 02-12-2024, 12:22 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,482,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
We typically need less sleep as we age - young children need the most, teenagers need a lot, and as adults as we age we need less and less. Still, we retirees do need good night's sleep; one source says 6-7 hours for us seniors minimum.

I typically get about 6 hours sleep each night and then wake up naturally. (Now, I usually get up to pee about half way through.). Sometimes I get more, especially if I've been exerting a lot of physical effort. Sometimes I take a short nap in the late afternoon.

How long do you sleep? Do you wish you could sleep more?

Do you have a routine to go to sleep such as read or watch TV?

You're phrase of "exerting a lot of physical effort" IS a reason retirees don't sleep as much.
Deep sleep can coincide with the greater physical activities.

I typically get 4-6 hours of sleep, real lucky if I get 7-8, but then I'm tired all day.

Seasonal sleep..at least for me in the north, means summer..after sun sets, and once I wake to pee if I see day light sneaking in around the black out curtains..and I'm wide awake.

I awoke right now out of a bad dream that was heading to be a nightmare, so forced myself awake...or I had a temporary possession...and was looking at his life through his eyes.

Best
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2024, 08:36 AM

7,752 posts, read 3,785,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Did you get your prostrate checked?

Yes; PSA is normal.

Old 02-12-2024, 08:40 AM

7,752 posts, read 3,785,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
You're phrase of "exerting a lot of physical effort" IS a reason retirees don't sleep as much.
Deep sleep can coincide with the greater physical activities.
Here's a screen shot of an active day on the ski slopes; I was definitely tired that night & slept more.

A day I had to shovel snow & snowblow to remove snow from the backyard deck was a ton of physical labor; I slept well that night.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Last edited by moguldreamer; 02-12-2024 at 08:56 AM..

Old 02-12-2024, 09:02 AM

975 posts, read 535,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
According to my fitbit I get between 6.5 and 7.5 hours of sleep typically. I'm in bed for about 8 hours though.

No routine. I never have any difficulties going to sleep. Well, almost never. I cannot sleep on an airline redeye flight at all.

Usually I pop up 2 or 3 times to pee during the night, sometimes more. Occasionally I will stay awake for awhile after rising overnight, usually not.

I'm usually short on time spent in deep sleep, according to fitbit. Otherwise no complaints.
I have a fitbit but I put it in a drawer and forgot about it, it kept waking me up telling me to breathe. Also, the burning sensation on my wrist where it was using the little laser to keep track of my vitals was annoying.

I only get up once in the night to pee.

My 90 year old aunt, who lives with me, goes to bed and stays in bed for 12 or more hours so if she has to get up to go somewhere in the morning I have to get her in bed by 7 so she will be up by 8:30. She does get up to pee in the night but it has gotten less often lately. A few nights I can tell she hasn't gotten up at all.

Old 02-12-2024, 09:05 AM

975 posts, read 535,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbeagles View Post
My oldest son was like that too. Brought him to the doctor but there was nothing wrong with him. He’s 34 years old now and still doesn’t sleep much and is an early riser; gets up between 4:30 and 5:00 a.m. I’m almost 63 and used to be a night owl and liked getting up at 10 a.m. if I could. But the last several years I’ve been sleeping less about 5-6 hours a night and getting up around 6a.m.
My daughter who didn't sleep when she was a kid has trouble sleeping now because of anxiety and sleep apnea. She has one of those machines and since she got it she has had a lot better sleep. She is 40 now. I took her to doctors when she was a baby and they never found anything wrong with her either.

Old 02-12-2024, 09:52 AM

8,270 posts, read 8,644,982 times
4 to 6. Nap for about 45 minutes.

Old 02-12-2024, 10:14 AM

7,492 posts, read 3,223,452 times
Mogul,

So you ski for 5 hours and sleep well? I sleep well if I walk through Costco (but, I am hobbled). Being out of shape is nice because doing so little is like a major workout in the olden days. Well, I'm kidding (sorta).

You're going to live forever doing that.

Old 02-12-2024, 10:21 AM

14,933 posts, read 12,130,043 times
I think about 7-8 hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement