Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2024, 04:26 PM

12,031 posts, read 6,563,490 times

Advertisements

6 hours with no naps during the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2024, 04:30 PM

5,449 posts, read 4,045,402 times
About 7 hours a night. If it comes all in one lump, great. At my age, if I wake up mid-sleep, and manage to get back to sleep in a short time for the rest of the night, I feel like I have achieved something great.

Old 02-11-2024, 05:18 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,059,903 times
I have never been someone who could sleep for 6 hours and feel fine. Nope. (Well, OK, I could do that for 1-2 nights, but it wouldn't be fun and after that I would be zombie-like upon waking. )

I am NOT saying that anyone is, um, exaggerating ... but whenever I hear someone say "Oh I get 5 hours a night and I am fine!", I just kind of roll my eyes. I mean, I know people's sleep needs vary, but when just about EVERYONE says they need just 4-5-6 hours, I become just a tiny bit skeptical. Sorry ...

I would LOVE 8 hours a night. I typically don't get that, as I wake up HOURS before my alarm is due to go off. (I'm semi-retired but teach just 2 classes 2 days a week ... I keep wondering if my sleep schedule will get better once I'm FULLY retired, although I don't know when THAT will be!)

My sleep needs have NOT changed much at all (I turned 65 in January) -- but whether I GET the number of hours I need, well, that's a different thing.

Old 02-11-2024, 05:44 PM

7,747 posts, read 3,778,838 times
There was a poll asking, "Tonight, would you rather have a great night's sleep or great sex?"

The majority wanted a great night's sleep.

Old 02-11-2024, 08:15 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,486,725 times
7.5 hours a night. Go to bed around 11.30pm and wake up around 7am. Usually asleep within 10 minutes of head hitting pillow, almost never wake up through the night, and wake naturally - no alarm. I sleep very deeply and never hear anything else that might be happening in the house or the street.

Will sometimes nap for 30 minutes or so in the afternoon as well.

Sometimes I stay up late for one reason or another (watching something on TV, or working on something on the computer) and am then in danger of getting my second wind and being awake at 2am and not the least bit sleepy. Once I do get sleepy I will still sleep for 7.5 hours.

Age 74, but been the same for as long as I can remember.

Old 02-11-2024, 09:10 PM

7,492 posts, read 3,219,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
7.5 hours a night. Go to bed around 11.30pm and wake up around 7am. Usually asleep within 10 minutes of head hitting pillow, almost never wake up through the night, and wake naturally - no alarm. I sleep very deeply and never hear anything else that might be happening in the house or the street.

Will sometimes nap for 30 minutes or so in the afternoon as well.

Sometimes I stay up late for one reason or another (watching something on TV, or working on something on the computer) and am then in danger of getting my second wind and being awake at 2am and not the least bit sleepy. Once I do get sleepy I will still sleep for 7.5 hours.

Age 74, but been the same for as long as I can remember.

This is my problem too. Getting that second wind and still being up at 5 a.m., etc.

I haven't slept right since The Accident (18 years ago). I did have a sleep study done and I have Alpha Intrusion (my brain does not shut down like it is supposed to they told me).

I can barely function on 5 hours of sleep and that is for one night only. I used to be able to burn the midnight oil and keep going). Now, my body needs to repair itself overnight and all kinds of things go wrong if I do not sleep enough (like I cannot walk). My body wants 7 to 9 hours depending on the day.

The last 5-6 weeks I have required a nap. I believe I have been dealing with a virus or some kind of bug. But, normally I do not nap. I can do a 20 minute power nap normally, but, any longer is not possible. Sometimes just the act of falling to sleep and a quick nap is super refreshing. A couple hour nap and I have to go through the waking up process again.

Old 02-11-2024, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
There was a poll asking, "Tonight, would you rather have a great night's sleep or great sex?"

The majority wanted a great night's sleep.

Were the majority women? The smarter sex? LOL

Old 02-11-2024, 09:18 PM

314 posts, read 179,657 times
I used to average 5-6 hours when in school. There days, I feel physically sick unless I have at least 8 hours.

Magnesium Glycinate helped a lot with my sleep issues.

Old 02-11-2024, 09:25 PM

I added Magnesium Glycinate at night and Magnesium Malate in the morning. I also keep up on my electrolytes. I had done Melatonin for years; but, it always left me very groggy in the morning so I finally quit a couple of years ago when my nephew mentioned to me that Melatonin made him groggy in the morning (why he did not use it and I am sitting there going, yeah me too so I quit).

Old 02-11-2024, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
We typically need less sleep as we age - young children need the most, teenagers need a lot, and as adults as we age we need less and less. Still, we retirees do need good night's sleep; one source says 6-7 hours for us seniors minimum.

I typically get about 6 hours sleep each night and then wake up naturally. (Now, I usually get up to pee about half way through.). Sometimes I get more, especially if I've been exerting a lot of physical effort. Sometimes I take a short nap in the late afternoon.

How long do you sleep? Do you wish you could sleep more?

Do you have a routine to go to sleep such as read or watch TV?

Did you get your prostrate checked? My neighbor and friend just had something come up with his prostrate (he's 71). Prostate cancer got my eldest brother. He died at 71 in 2014. I think, generally once a night is normal-ish. I think there is a lot better outcome with early detection. Prostrate is usually deadly. So, it's time to go to your doctor and get the finger!!

More - if you need more sleep based on your sometimes extreme levels of activity you should sleep as much as you need to. You worry me with your "perfect six hours" of sleep thing. All the Presidents that only slept 4-5 hours of night looked like hell and aged a lot during their tenures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement