Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2024, 12:28 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,211,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready To Move3 View Post
Hello, I am retired and was considering moving to upstate, NY. I like the change of seasons, really don't mind the snow or cold so long I have heat. I just don't know enough about upstate, NY. Can you offer any suggestions.
Thanks.
You might also consider posting in the New York forum or one if its subforums (Buffalo, Syracuse, Rochester), if you haven't already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2024, 06:45 PM

544 posts, read 939,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I have a friend who used to drive a fuel oil delivery truck. He tells stories of customers whose driveways were only negotiable in summer. Once there is ice those deliveries were strictly off-limits.

He tried making a delivery once, his truck slid down the slope and needed a tow truck to climb out of the driveway again.

Last week my Dw wanted to spend the day driving to see a covered bridge. Along the way we were pointing out how many people park their cars by the mailbox and walk the length of their driveways. If a driveway goes down a steep slope it becomes difficult to get it back up the slope.

Right now our driveway likely has two inches of ice layer on it and the ground is frozen four feet deep, fortunately our driveway is not on a slope, it is flat. Driving on it is no different from driving across the river.
I have one of those steep driveways and when it is really gnarly, park at the top. The oil tank is accessible without the need to bring the truck down it.

Our plow guy had a new kid one day who made it down but needed a tow truck to pull him out.

The ascent up to the house isn't steep, but it's a long hill. We were at a friend's house one night when it started sleeting. It's 9 miles, about 20-25 minutes obeying local speed limits. It was a slow go, and as we started the climb up our road, the packed snow was already slick. Our quad cab, long bed diesel dually started sliding backwards and off the road. I dialed the VSP to tell them we were partly off road and if possible, to warn anyone up the hill to prevent someone sliding down into us. My spouse winched the truck 10' at a time, using any sturdy tree he could find. A large town truck came up behind us, but couldn't move by us as the road was narrow. He told us the VSP were unsuccessful in their effort to reach us in their 4WD, so they contacted the town. The driver was great and assisted in the winching. Once we made it another 100' to a neighbors driveway, he was able to pass and spread copious amounts of sand. Getting onto the sand made a huge difference. When all was said and done, the 9 mile ride took a little over 3 hours.

Old 02-26-2024, 08:22 PM

37,455 posts, read 61,373,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atypicalLIer View Post
I have one of those steep driveways and when it is really gnarly, park at the top. The oil tank is accessible without the need to bring the truck down it.

Our plow guy had a new kid one day who made it down but needed a tow truck to pull him out.

The ascent up to the house isn't steep, but it's a long hill. We were at a friend's house one night when it started sleeting. It's 9 miles, about 20-25 minutes obeying local speed limits. It was a slow go, and as we started the climb up our road, the packed snow was already slick. Our quad cab, long bed diesel dually started sliding backwards and off the road. I dialed the VSP to tell them we were partly off road and if possible, to warn anyone up the hill to prevent someone sliding down into us. My spouse winched the truck 10' at a time, using any sturdy tree he could find. A large town truck came up behind us, but couldn't move by us as the road was narrow. He told us the VSP were unsuccessful in their effort to reach us in their 4WD, so they contacted the town. The driver was great and assisted in the winching. Once we made it another 100' to a neighbors driveway, he was able to pass and spread copious amounts of sand. Getting onto the sand made a huge difference. When all was said and done, the 9 mile ride took a little over 3 hours.
I have been there a few times.

In my township, anytime you slide off into a snowbank the next car along will usually stop and offer to yank you back up onto the pavement. Everyone has slid off the road, so everyone is extra helpful.

We normally see a storm come through weekly. Every time cars slide off the roads as a fairly normal occurrence.

Winter driving is a lot smoother once the potholes are full of ice and the plow truck shaves them level with the pavement.

Our town has only one road through it. But there is one curve where they over-crowned it. The center line is at least a foot higher than the shoulder. So driving in either lane the driver's side of the vehicle is that much higher than the passenger side.

Last winter we had a week with an exceptional amount of black ice. As soon as I passed onto the black ice was when the road crown rose, as the driver's side of the car rose up a bit, the back end of my car slid off the shoulder, and my car did a 360 into a snow bank.

Normally on a level surface coated with ice [like when driving across a river when it is frozen] my car is fine, we have studded snow tires on our cars. But a sideways slant makes it a lot harder to hang onto.

Old 02-29-2024, 04:46 PM

2,478 posts, read 1,548,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready To Move3 View Post
Hello, I am retired and was considering moving to upstate, NY. I like the change of seasons, really don't mind the snow or cold so long I have heat. I just don't know enough about upstate, NY. Can you offer any suggestions.
Thanks.
What do you want to know? I live in the Capital Region.

Old 03-01-2024, 07:34 AM

737 posts, read 409,146 times
of course, I love warm weather but not extreme heat. I lived in the deep south for well over a decade, but we eventually relocated to new england. During my time in the south, we survived multiple hurricanes. We lost power for 2 weeks in one hurricane. That caused me to rethink my answer to the question, do I love the heat or cold?

also, crime issues and economy impacted my decision to relocate too.

Old 03-01-2024, 12:01 PM

3,262 posts, read 4,999,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H8t3rs View Post
of course, I love warm weather but not extreme heat. I lived in the deep south for well over a decade, but we eventually relocated to new england. During my time in the south, we survived multiple hurricanes. We lost power for 2 weeks in one hurricane. That caused me to rethink my answer to the question, do I love the heat or cold?

also, crime issues and economy impacted my decision to relocate too.
I don't think you have to love either of them. For me, the question is, which do I hate less?

Old 03-01-2024, 12:32 PM

6,593 posts, read 7,086,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stagman View Post
My wife and I are retiring in a month
We live in northern Michigan. Please, anyone with an opinion. Should we snowbird or relocate? Thanks. Family is spreadout.
We retired 7 years ago. After doing some research on places we would be interested in living and trying out a few then compared it to what we would be moving away from we decided our COL and best options were to stay put and snow bird if desired. We have family in Asia and only a few family members locally situated. Most are at least a 3 hour drive or more. We made a list of the stuff we wanted and had to have with stuff we could do without. We also started that search about 3 years prior to retirement but I pretty much had a date certain to plan on. I do understand your desire not to spend winters if I am not mistaken you mean the UP. That would be worse then the times I spent at Ft Drum NY.

Old 03-01-2024, 12:55 PM

37,455 posts, read 61,373,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
I don't think you have to love either of them. For me, the question is, which do I hate less?
If you live somewhere that gets hot, it isn't easy to cool a house without grid power.

Fortunately, you do not need grid power to heat a house.

Old 03-07-2024, 12:49 PM

982 posts, read 522,520 times
The South is a place, not a direction, so it always gets capitalized. If you want to stay warm, there is no alternative to going to the South. I plan on Puerto Rico myself.

Old 03-07-2024, 10:41 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,022,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
The South is a place, not a direction,....
Be careful... you can go too far south!

BTDT, (and far beyond) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/45th_p...%20the%20poles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement