Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 12:22 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,798,681 times

Advertisements

I just thought of something recently... I was wondering if it might be better for me to focus on being a "snowbird" instead of immigrating at the moment.

I'm thinking if I can make $30-50K in after tax income working only 7-9 months a year in Canada and take off to the southern U.S., Carribbean, Australia etc. in the months I don't work there'd be less headaches for me and a lot more fun. Dec-Feb is a very slow time of year up here as I mostly do outdoor work and if I can get it, it's so darned cold.

The work I do now, I'd be lucky to make $50 K before taxes working almost year-round in the U.S. Plus I'd have to waste a lot of time and money just with immigration and health insurance.

If out of Canada less for less than 5 months I'll have no lapse in medical coverage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2007, 11:20 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,391,026 times
If you can afford to be a snowbird, by all means, do it!

If you were to emigrate to the U.S., as you said, you'd be financially unable to take such large chunks of time off; maybe the standard American two weeks worth of vacations, whereas in Canada, you'd be able to take 3-5 months off and go vacation wherever you want.

As the situation was presented in your post, I would say it definitely makes the most sense to be a snowbird. At the very least, try it for a year or two and see if that satisfies your quench for a taste of America. If in time you decide that the increased work time and less pocket change is worth it to live in the U.S., then continue to research the possibility of immigration. In the meantime though, snowbirding sounds like a damn nice alternative.

Old 07-04-2007, 04:02 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,265,697 times
If you can afford to snowbird in the Caribbean, please let me know how you're doing it! We lived in the USVI for 14 months - simply too expensive. WAY too expensive, especially in the winter months, when it's high season and everyone is a snowbird. The cost of housing is just ridiculous year-round, but during the winter months it absolutely skyrockets.

I guess much would depend on what you require to stay alive and if you're willing to, if you have to, work part-time during your "vacation" to keep things going one direction. I'm with dullnboring - try it and see how it goes. For us, we eventually figured out there's no place like home.

Old 07-04-2007, 07:24 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,227,984 times
I live in the land of snowbirds. By all means, come hang out with us. Pick citrus right off the trees, hang out at the beach, play golf!

Old 07-04-2007, 10:52 PM

If I actually do earn that this year I think I might give it a try.
I'll probably at least drive to the southern U.S. for a week or two.
Thanks for your replies.

In theory 3-5 months off is better than 2 weeks,
but that also gives me a lot more time to spend my money.
If I'm not carefull $30K could be gone in 4-5 months, lol.

I use a lot of my disposable income and time on things related to getting warm so moving would solve some of that... On the other hand since medical coverage is another issue with leaving, I don't know if I left the country that I could sustain a reasonably comfortable lifestyle for more than a few years. One thing going for me now is I don't really have any bills. I just chip in every now and then to my parents.

If I moved out I could imagine spending easily $20-25K/yr on rent, insurance, gas, car ownership and maintenance, food etc., even try to live cheaply and by myself. I also understand I'd be living on after-tax income so to cover $25K of expenses just to get by I might need to earn $35K. And that's not including any money for fun.

That's one of the reasons I haven't tried for any ol' unskilled job somewhere warm because I think I have a pretty good of what it costs to live on your own. (and it's kind of scary. )

Old 07-05-2007, 12:01 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,693,098 times
There's a TON of snowbirds in the Phoenix area come wintertime. There's also quite a few 55+ communities where retired and semi-retired snowbirds generally live. They're inexpensive, offer a ton of activites and amenities, and are gated which offers some peace of mind when you're gone. Try it out, you'll love it.

Old 07-05-2007, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
There's a TON of snowbirds in the Phoenix area come wintertime. There's also quite a few 55+ communities where retired and semi-retired snowbirds generally live. They're inexpensive, offer a ton of activites and amenities, and are gated which offers some peace of mind when you're gone. Try it out, you'll love it.
Sounds nice, but I'm 29 years shy of my 55th birthday so they might not let me in.

Old 07-06-2007, 05:39 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,109,893 times
I would say give it a try for a year what could you lose other than a cold winter

We have lots of relatives that come down from the UP of Michigan to Fla for the winter.
You could use the first year to check out different places and how much it costs to live there. NE fla is not as expensive as South Fla so that might be worth a look, and as Evey said theres nothign like picking your own oranges and grapefruit right off the tree
I wish I could remember what kind of insurance a friends mom used when she comes from England for weeks at a time. But I know they are out there.

karla

Old 07-16-2010, 05:56 PM

3 posts, read 9,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Any of these places rentable?

Old 07-17-2010, 03:52 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,324,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoophead View Post
Any of these places rentable?
I think you really better check into this before u get to PHX. There r a lot of snowbirds and demand is great. Good luck and welcome if u get here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.