Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2020, 04:38 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,439,526 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody here on city-data General U.S. forum,
I am thinking of moving to the Plains states or a Midwest state at some point for a year sometime in the future.I know i cant tolerate the cold well so i figure i will just be a snowbird in the winter.I am a registered Republican and I am looking for a purple/swing to red state that has a reasonable cost of living and has low taxes and is 2nd amendment friendly.Some of the states I have thought about are Oklahoma,Kansas,MO, and South Dakota.I got interested in that part of the country because my brother-in-law is from the Midwest and they are moving back to another part of the Midwest.I intend on making it back to Texas.

I would like the area where i live to have a good Christian community so I could find a church.My occupation is oil executive.I would not want to live in a super big city but maybe a suburb or a small city of 100,000 or less or a few hundred thousand or less.I would also want to live where there's not many dry counties and municipalities so i can get my Natural Light and franzia chillable red conveniently.I would want my area to have big box stores.I would like to live somewhere that has a Wally World.

I would like to live somewhere that has at least rolling terrain and is not pancake flat like where i live in Midessa, Texas.I dont have a budget at this point.I know some of you following my threads over the years might remember Im thinking about moving to New Mexico but now im not so sure after doing lots of research on the Land of Enchantment.I might still do it though.Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2020, 07:38 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,732,134 times
I was going to suggest Sioux Falls, until you said you wanted rolling hills, lol. The Twin Cities is great, with the exception that it's extremely blue and becoming moreso by the minute.

Beyond that, Rapid City comes to mind. The mountains are absolutely beautiful. The cost of living is low, and they city has enough amenities to keep one happy. Lots of national parks and US history abound.

Old 06-15-2020, 06:23 PM

353 posts, read 159,187 times
Rapid City seems like a great choice especially if you're going to snowbird in TX.

I know you mentioned NM. Have you thought about AZ rather than NM?

Old 06-15-2020, 06:50 PM

44 posts, read 44,337 times
I would suggest checking out Northern Michigan. The U.P. fits your description well, as they love guns, beer, and the terrain is decently rugged. There is a reason it is known as God’s country.

Old 06-15-2020, 07:05 PM

390 posts, read 309,378 times
It's not the plains state but what about Georgia heading north of Atlanta? Look in Canton or anywhere north of Milton and Cumming?

Old 06-15-2020, 07:21 PM

1,049 posts, read 657,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
Hi everybody here on city-data General U.S. forum,
I am thinking of moving to the Plains states or a Midwest state at some point for a year sometime in the future.I know i cant tolerate the cold well so i figure i will just be a snowbird in the winter.I am a registered Republican and I am looking for a purple/swing to red state that has a reasonable cost of living and has low taxes and is 2nd amendment friendly.Some of the states I have thought about are Oklahoma,Kansas,MO, and South Dakota.I got interested in that part of the country because my brother-in-law is from the Midwest and they are moving back to another part of the Midwest.I intend on making it back to Texas.

I would like the area where i live to have a good Christian community so I could find a church.My occupation is oil executive.I would not want to live in a super big city but maybe a suburb or a small city of 100,000 or less or a few hundred thousand or less.I would also want to live where there's not many dry counties and municipalities so i can get my Natural Light and franzia chillable red conveniently.I would want my area to have big box stores.I would like to live somewhere that has a Wally World.

I would like to live somewhere that has at least rolling terrain and is not pancake flat like where i live in Midessa, Texas.I dont have a budget at this point.I know some of you following my threads over the years might remember Im thinking about moving to New Mexico but now im not so sure after doing lots of research on the Land of Enchantment.I might still do it though.Thanks in advance.

Eastern Oklahoma is quite hilly and the larger towns there and probably even Tulsa itself would check a lot of your boxes. Storm Chasers hate when they see the storms are going to form in Eastern Oklahoma instead of Central Oklahoma because Eastern Oklahoma is full of trees, hills, and even some mountainous terrian from the Ouatcia Mountains.

A lot of people including myself prior to 2010 had no idea that a mountain range exists in Oklahoma but it sure does. They run between McAlester and Broken Bow in the southeastern part of the state. That part of the state is very strongly conservative and probably has sections where the far-right reside. They may be a little bit too right for someone who is just right of center but that will be something that you would have to investigate on your own and see if that is something you can personally deal with.

Old 06-16-2020, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcross View Post
I would suggest checking out Northern Michigan. The U.P. fits your description well, as they love guns, beer, and the terrain is decently rugged. There is a reason it is known as God’s country.
Okay thanks carcross.

Old 06-16-2020, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivenine View Post
Eastern Oklahoma is quite hilly and the larger towns there and probably even Tulsa itself would check a lot of your boxes. Storm Chasers hate when they see the storms are going to form in Eastern Oklahoma instead of Central Oklahoma because Eastern Oklahoma is full of trees, hills, and even some mountainous terrian from the Ouatcia Mountains.

A lot of people including myself prior to 2010 had no idea that a mountain range exists in Oklahoma but it sure does. They run between McAlester and Broken Bow in the southeastern part of the state. That part of the state is very strongly conservative and probably has sections where the far-right reside. They may be a little bit too right for someone who is just right of center but that will be something that you would have to investigate on your own and see if that is something you can personally deal with.
Ya i have been through Eastern Oklahoma a lot and go through there on a regular basis.I have known that Oklahoma has mountains for a long time.The whole far-right thing wont be a problem cuz I am far-right myself.Thanks for your input.

Last edited by C24L; 06-16-2020 at 01:01 AM..

Old 06-16-2020, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyCityIsBetterThanYours View Post
Rapid City seems like a great choice especially if you're going to snowbird in TX.

I know you mentioned NM. Have you thought about AZ rather than NM?
Well i have not decided where to snowbird yet.I am also considering the Grand Canyon State but it would prolly be real hard to find a church there for me.Extremely hard prolly.However, maybe i could just watch online and take communion every week at home.I am considering Arizona because its warmer,more conservative and is more gun friendly than the state of New Mexico.

Last edited by C24L; 06-16-2020 at 01:02 AM..

Old 06-17-2020, 07:53 AM

1,358 posts, read 908,836 times
Sioux City, Iowa would be right up your alley. Iowa's a swing state, generally, but NW Iowa is Oklahoma level of red. The Loess Hills start there, and run south along the Missouri River. They're a beautiful area in general. Sioux City metro is around 170K and is definitely not "dry".

Rochester, MN would fit too. Minnesota isn't very liberal outside the Twin Cities, and Rochester is on the western edge of the Driftless Area. Rugged, hilly, wooded topography. Great health care. Fairly religious for a larger city in a blue state (which isn't very blue outside of a concentrated area).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.