Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2023, 10:59 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,053,820 times

Advertisements

Been in this forum for probably 17-18 years first as a lurker and then as a frequent poster.
Most of my thoughts were on financial retirement and eventually outcomes with much debate as many of u know. Not been very active lately in fact hardly at all last year or so and Entering year what 16 of retirement and in our mid 70's. Our health is good, and our finances are really good and we focus on giving to those in need especially food.

At this point we have known many who have passed on many who are still thriving. We know those who are on the edge financially, those who are good and those travelling the world literally.

I can only tell you knowing the lives and decisions many have made that choices made have consequences and after a certain point there is no make-up. Make your choices wisely and yes you can also find yourself in your mid 70's with years ahead of you so be ready!

Any fellow retirees in their 70's or 80's with thoughts to share join in. As is normal anyone else who wants is welcome to share their thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2023, 01:17 PM

492 posts, read 406,509 times
Welcome back, Tuborg. I've missed seeing your posts. I wish you a happy and peaceful 2024.

Old 12-30-2023, 01:33 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,346,263 times
Thank you for your thoughtful post.

My initial comment is to reiterate yours, plan wisely. Importantly be open to seeing possible plan negatives, and attempt to incorporate work-arounds for those negatives. Some appear to emotionally commit themselves to an approach, and once having done that may be reluctant to see possible difficulties ahead. Also, aging may well consist of two or even three stage. Immediately after retirement when the focus is on the financial and perhaps travel. Next, taking concrete steps (making changes) for 'old age.' Finally the stage for some when higher intensity caretaking is needed.

Another comment: it may be a mistake to count on the past when preparing for the future. Demographics, the pandemic, changes to younger generation life goals , and even altering immigration patterns almost certainly will impact (probably limit) caretaker availability. How that may play out, I do not know. However, in response there may well be governmental and institutional changes to current policies.

Old 12-30-2023, 01:57 PM

106,718 posts, read 108,913,061 times
on the other hand no words have ever been more costly then THIS TIME IS DIFFERENT

Old 12-30-2023, 02:21 PM

329 posts, read 186,400 times
OP, curious what lessons you can share on your journey so far.

Old 12-30-2023, 02:57 PM

8,343 posts, read 6,436,914 times
One thing that never fails to amaze me on this forum is wondering if they should retire. You don't have to work, you can do what you want.

Old 12-30-2023, 03:31 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,350,203 times
And in my community it does not matter what you did in your pre retirement life.

Old 12-30-2023, 03:54 PM

9,361 posts, read 14,119,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
One thing that never fails to amaze me on this forum is wondering if they should retire. You don't have to work, you can do what you want.
Each person's situation is different. Some people worked hard to get ahead in their field of work and enjoy the accomplishment it brings. Others like working with people and interacting with those their work involves. Working requires concentration but sometimes has rewards.

Others work only to earn an income. Yes, if that is the only reason you are working it feels great to have enough set aside that you can stop and instead think of yourself for a change.

Still others quit their paying job and continue to work in some other context. Renovating their home for example. Fixing their own cars. Etc.

And then you have farmers. Their work is essentially never done.

Old 12-30-2023, 03:58 PM

6,587 posts, read 7,094,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
on the other hand no words have ever been more costly then THIS TIME IS DIFFERENT

Ain't that the truth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Exactly.

Good thread TuborgP. It is a great idea to kind of sit back and look at where you are and how you got here? I am glad I took this path, though it wasn't exactly a cushy Jetson job at Spacely Sprockets. But what I like to rethink is how far towards being the Jetsons we have come. I think back to building a radio that used no battery. That started me down the path to kind of this twisty windy road with dips to boot. I like many here came looking for answers but I didn't lurk, just jumped right in.

Old 12-30-2023, 04:01 PM

17,400 posts, read 16,547,378 times
Thank you for posting Tuborg. My husband and I are in our late 50's, around the time that you retired, and it's good to hear and learn from those who have already BTDT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement