Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2023, 04:41 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
One thing that never fails to amaze me on this forum is wondering if they should retire. You don't have to work, you can do what you want.
And what some people WANT to do is work, in addition to other things, as amazing as you may find that to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2023, 04:51 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
And what some people WANT to do is work, in addition to other things, as amazing as you may find that to be.
Don't disrupt the official definition of 'retirement' by C-D retirement police.

None of my age 80+ yo neighbors would qualify, nor would they care to post here.

It's a very narrow path, experience, and mindset.

But thankfully, there is much to enjoy and participate in this large and accessible world.

Gotta get out of the circus cage!

Old 12-31-2023, 04:58 AM

7,529 posts, read 3,236,257 times
I have an announcement. My 78-year-old brother-in-law that I kept stating was still working has now retired. His mother also just died at 99, just short of 100 years old. My sister has his honey do list loaded and he mentioned he thinks he can have it worked off in about 15 years. They are doing a little traveling and plan to live into their 90's. He said "I'm not done living."

Old 12-31-2023, 05:25 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,386,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
actually some very important things can be bought .

in my wife’s former husbands case he got multiple myeloma…. 20 years ago it was a death sentence .

my wife heard sam walton who had the same cancer was sponsoring an experimental program in arkansas which used all kinds of experimental treatments not covered by insurance .

after meeting with my wife and husband he accepted him .

sam spent over a million dollars on him and gave him more then another year to live beyond what any doctors expected and be with family .

today these treatments are routine thanks to sam .

PRICELESS

???
Multiple myeloma was not a death sentence 20 years ago. It is a highly variable malignancy in terms of aggressiveness, always has been. There have always been (many) long-lived cases of myeloma. even when I was a student >40 years ago. Treatment of all hematologic malignancies has improved in the past 30+ years since 1990, and not even that much for myeloma as for some others. Experimental drugs sometimes pan out as useful, and sometimes don't. Is one more year of life worth $1M? Not to me, not at my age.

Old 12-31-2023, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Nobody finds that particularly amazing :-). We all know that many people WANT to work til the end, without retiring, and that is fine. But we also know that more people DON'T WANT to work til the end, and that is fine too. The only people who seem to be miserable here are those who WANT to work, but aren't employable. There seems to be no good advice to give to those...

Old 12-31-2023, 05:32 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,034,158 times
Retirement is not a requirement nor does it require a lack of any work.
Perhaps it is a self defined transition in life with its own individual parameter's.

Go forth and find your own path as you age and define your own self!

Old 12-31-2023, 05:34 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
One thing that never fails to amaze me on this forum is wondering if they should retire. You don't have to work, you can do what you want.

Old 12-31-2023, 05:49 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,189,044 times
Wishing the best for everybody for a happy and healthful new year. Looking forward to this topic on New Years Eve next year as well.

Old 12-31-2023, 05:49 AM

9,453 posts, read 5,212,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Retirement is not a requirement nor does it require a lack of any work.
Perhaps it is a self defined transition in life with its own individual parameter's.

Go forth and find your own path as you age and define your own self!
^^^What a wise comment. Thank you.

Old 12-31-2023, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGreg View Post
Wishing the best for everybody for a happy and healthful new year. Looking forward to this topic on New Years Eve next year as well.
Thank you, same from me. Hopefully all of us will still be here, but then, this is a retirement forum. Reality... This year seems to have gone by very fast. Heck, the last 63 years seem to have gone by fast :-).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement