Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2023, 05:04 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,763,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
For all us terminally clueless, just what is it, what does it protect against? Heard it the other day on the radio but it is like the abstract of my diaries, something mentioned without the reference provided. So, what is it?
This is what I was thinking...ive never heard of it and suddenly we should be vaccinated against it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2023, 05:10 AM

7,621 posts, read 3,265,767 times
This is the Retirement forum, not the Political forum.

Old 12-11-2023, 06:47 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,673,235 times
Respiratory Syncytial Virus Infection (RSV)

RSV is a common respiratory virus that usually causes mild, cold-like symptoms. Most people recover in a week or two, but RSV can be serious. Infants and older adults are more likely to develop severe RSV and need hospitalization.

Old 12-11-2023, 08:32 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,321,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
This is what I was thinking...ive never heard of it and suddenly we should be vaccinated against it?
This is from the CDC. Its a good description of why the disease is dangerous and worth preventing.

Quote:
https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/hcp/vis...ments/rsv.html

RSV spreads through direct contact with the virus, such as droplets from another person’s cough or sneeze contacting your eyes, nose, or mouth. It can also be spread by touching a surface that has the virus on it, like a doorknob, and then touching your face before washing your hands.

Symptoms of RSV infection may include runny nose, decrease in appetite, coughing, sneezing, fever, or wheezing. In very young infants, symptoms of RSV may also include irritability (fussiness), decreased activity, or apnea (pauses in breathing for more than 10 seconds).

Most people recover in a week or two, but RSV can be serious, resulting in shortness of breath and low oxygen levels. RSV can cause bronchiolitis (inflammation of the small airways in the lung) and pneumonia (infection of the lungs). RSV can sometimes lead to worsening of other medical conditions such as asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (a chronic disease of the lungs that makes it hard to breathe), or congestive heart failure (when the heart can’t pump enough blood and oxygen throughout the body).

Older adults and infants who get very sick from RSV may need to be hospitalized. Some may even die.

Old 12-11-2023, 09:46 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,763,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
This is from the CDC. Its a good description of why the disease is dangerous and worth preventing.
Thanks for the info. Being unaware of it, I was surprised to suddenly see this as a new recommended vaccine. I would naturally assume that it would have been something that was perhaps in the spotlight for sometime, but maybe it was and I just wasnt paying attention.

Old 12-11-2023, 10:16 AM

8,773 posts, read 5,065,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
This is the Retirement forum, not the Political forum.
Obviously vaccines are important to seniors, and it seems they are interested to hear what others think about the many vaccines and side effects out there. Vaccines are not political, unless you make them political.

Old 12-11-2023, 12:10 PM

7,621 posts, read 3,265,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
Obviously vaccines are important to seniors, and it seems they are interested to hear what others think about the many vaccines and side effects out there. Vaccines are not political, unless you make them political.
That was not my point if you look at the sequence. I was responding to one political poster. I do not need to be counseled here.

Old 12-11-2023, 12:50 PM

11,138 posts, read 9,773,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw222 View Post
My wife died from the current so called mild variants. It’s more than a cold to some just because you think that won’t be you then good luck.
I'm very sorry to hear of the loss of your wife. Thank you for posting about it to remind people that Covid is not JUST A COLD.

Old 12-11-2023, 08:00 PM

1,827 posts, read 807,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I'm very sorry to hear of the loss of your wife. Thank you for posting about it to remind people that Covid is not JUST A COLD.
My condolences as well. I am so sorry.

Old 12-11-2023, 09:42 PM

1,827 posts, read 807,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
For all us terminally clueless, just what is it, what does it protect against? Heard it the other day on the radio but it is like the abstract of my diaries, something mentioned without the reference provided. So, what is it?

I don’t understand this statement. From what I gather, you are at, or approaching retirement age. You live alone. I don’t know if you have a support system that you could rely on to help you if you got sick or hurt. By that I mean, a ride to the Dr., pick up a prescription or Gatorade for you, watch your critters if you are hospitalized, etc.

Everyone needs to be proactive about their health, especially as you age. Our medical system is broken. I know that I can’t depend on a PCP to know anything about me or my health, or even give a damn, let alone advise me, “you need this, you need that”.

Elders have been advised to take flu & pneumonia vax for years, I remember my mother doing that. Now there is even more nasty crap floating around, it’s just common sense that there are even MORE vaccinations. With the internet, it is easy to find out what vaccinations are recommended for who.

My support system is my spouse & vice versa. If one of us down, the other needs to stay up. We were both vaccinated for covid but in July 2022 we had company who had just come from the east coast & brought the then-new omicron variant with them. They were also vaccinated & were mildly sick. I got a little more sick, worse than a case of flu I also took Paxlovid. I recovered in a week. Spouse didn’t get sick at all, who knows why? But we both have chronic health conditions that put us further at risk, in addition to our age.

So, I consider vaccines to be part of the tool kit to keep myself & spouse, upright, out of bed & out of the nursing home. I am GRATEFUL to have them available.

I hope people continue to post what vax they have taken & what reactions they had, if any. It’s useful information.

I do NOT want anybody’s opinion about how serious/not serious they think covid, or any other contagious illnesses are, or your opinion about whether or not a vax is necessary. Your opinion is USELESS. Do not post it in this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement