Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2023, 09:12 AM

14,443 posts, read 14,395,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I've never had a reaction (but don't get more injections than needed)

A very fit and active tenant (37 yrs old) has been disabled since March 2019
Brain swelling, nerve damage.

Ice baths 2x / day, many experimental treatments, no improvement.

He's never been able to hold his 3 yr old kid.

Stuff happens
Just how many injections do you think you need?

I follow the advice of CDC rather than make believing I know on my own what shots I need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2023, 01:19 PM

7,779 posts, read 3,371,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post

I follow the advice of CDC rather than make believing I know on my own what shots I need.
The CDC guidelines are clear. Anyone immunocompromised was recommended to take a lot more than the general public.

Old 12-09-2023, 02:25 PM

8,811 posts, read 5,120,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy884 View Post
Certainly there are better treatments for it now than before, so it's definitely an individual choice. I'm not trying to talk anyone else into getting it these days and for me, just make my own decision after listening to my doctor's recommendations.

I just got my updated booster last Friday though. A co-worker of mine had bad COVID-19 and was out for a week and came back (we work from home online) but OMG for a few more days he was barely able to work last week. And then on top of that, another co-workers mom died of Covid-19 last Thursday (they thought she was getting better and would be released from the the hospital and then she took a bad downturn). These things happening in my small circle or co-workers got me to make an appointment at Walgreens and get my shot. My doctor wanted me to get it and those personal stories influenced me to get it sooner rather than later. I had gotten a booster in Sept. (old one) before traveling to Europe at my doctor's recommendation and three months later got another.

I'm one who had no reaction to RSV or the flu, but Covid-19 boosters usually about 12 hours later mean I get the chills and don't feel all that great for about six hours.
Yes there are better treatments, most of the time now covid is nothing more then a cold. However even a cold is dangerous for those old and frail. Most healthy and younger people can handle it.....like a cold or flu. I would never take all those covid and booster shots at a young age....who knows what is does to your system long term.

Old 12-09-2023, 02:36 PM

5,465 posts, read 4,091,820 times
I'm 67 and healthy. I asked my PCP about the RSV shot (via online message) and got in response, an article saying, among other things, "talk it over with your doctor." Duh. Still haven't got it.

Old 12-09-2023, 02:58 PM

1,401 posts, read 742,008 times
I've gotten flu, RSV and new booster and every other vaccine possible in the last 2 yrs. and not had any problems, thankfully. What did cause more of a problem was after getting the first Shingles shot. The person who gave it to me just said "oh the regular soreness, blah, blah, blah, will happen"... But what I got was a very large, raised red, hot area on my arm, like the size and shape of a large avocado. So weird. I googled it and turned out that it is something that can happen, so I felt ok about it. But it lasted over a week and with the heat and soreness.

I have waited until the last possible day to get the 2nd shingles shot, but I know what to expect.

Old 12-09-2023, 06:56 PM

1,896 posts, read 849,325 times
^^Look at the website for RSV vaccination. I don’t think you’re in the recommended population group, but your parentslikely are.

We had flu & COVID vax on same day. I was the only one who felt off, & just a little. Spouse’s pulmonologist recommended we wait one month after those to get RSV, did that & no side effects. His reasoning was RSV is a new vaccine.

Everyone is different & has different needs. I appreciate hearing how different people react to the vaccinations. I don’t appreciate poster’s personal opinions about COVID, i.e., it’s just a cold. Good lord, I am sick of that crap. Or at least take it over to Politics forum.

Old 12-09-2023, 08:53 PM

589 posts, read 317,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
I think all these covid shots do more harm then good. Covid now is nothing more then a cold.
My wife died from the current so called mild variants. It’s more than a cold to some just because you think that won’t be you then good luck.

Old 12-10-2023, 05:39 AM

4,175 posts, read 3,099,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villabella22201 View Post
I've gotten flu, RSV and new booster and every other vaccine possible in the last 2 yrs. and not had any problems, thankfully. What did cause more of a problem was after getting the first Shingles shot. The person who gave it to me just said "oh the regular soreness, blah, blah, blah, will happen"... But what I got was a very large, raised red, hot area on my arm, like the size and shape of a large avocado. So weird. I googled it and turned out that it is something that can happen, so I felt ok about it. But it lasted over a week and with the heat and soreness.

I have waited until the last possible day to get the 2nd shingles shot, but I know what to expect.
I missed a day of work after one of the Shingles vaccines.

Old 12-10-2023, 08:47 AM

18,743 posts, read 33,476,053 times
Shingles vaccine was brutal for me- collapsed twice, shaking fever. Still better than getting shingles.

Old 12-10-2023, 11:34 AM

3,233 posts, read 2,458,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post

I follow the advice of my doctor. The CDC doesn't know your particular circumstances, previous reactions to shots, or recent diagnosis. The CDC guideline is just that, a guideline. When the CDC or government suggests that all get a vaccine without knowing the individual they are doing a disservice. Sorry, I don't do things because the CDC tells me to. I listen to my doctors advise.

BTW I got 3 covid vaccines and still got Covid 4 times. No on any more boosters. I think energy and money is being spent on a vaccine that doesn't prevent Covid and may be in question as to whether or not it actually lessons the symptoms if you get it but for some it has caused issues. At least the flu shot, if they get the strain correct for the year, reduces symptoms and the likely hood of getting it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement