Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2023, 07:51 AM

7,430 posts, read 4,672,937 times

Advertisements

Yes. Both of my closest friends. I just tolerate them. We go way back in our 20s. We were bonded by idealism, helping each other out, becoming godparents to godsons. Good ole days!

But now, we are spread out in 3 different countries. We are still connected on FB but found we were totally different beings now. One is still extremely idealist while I became a pragmatist and realist. The other from time to time makes light of my being single as he was already married even before I met him. I know he's just jealous and it was his defense mechanism whenever I share/tag him a pic of me and my 30y old friend.

FB makes sense in keeping in touch with them but I would not enjoy any more if we were living in one same town for example. What's keeping me in contact with them is the friendship I had with them when I was younger. We were inseparable then, and I was best man to both their Church weddings.

So at this point, I am happy not having male friends. Female friends, that's a different story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2023, 08:05 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
Just read Yippeekayay's post and was going to comment. Same here. I have some friends which go all the way back to kindergarten. We touch base a few times a year for old time's sake and to catch up on news. They are dear to me but we wouldn't spend a lot of time together. They are part of my life.

We have maintained a marriage-long friendship with a couple who married the same year we did. Our spouses worked the same night job and we went to the same college. They had no children, we had two. There were moves to other states. Now we are retired and live in the same town. We have a meal together a couple times a year and provide various kinds of help and support for each other. It's an important relationship but not a particularly close one.

When you've been friends for life there are a lot of changes. Still friends but different paths.

Old 09-24-2023, 11:06 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
I have to have respect for a person to desire friendship and express it. Don't have to be identical, of course, but I have to feel respectful with differences.

Old 09-24-2023, 11:17 AM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Just read Yippeekayay's post and was going to comment. Same here. I have some friends which go all the way back to kindergarten. We touch base a few times a year for old time's sake and to catch up on news. They are dear to me but we wouldn't spend a lot of time together. They are part of my life.

We have maintained a marriage-long friendship with a couple who married the same year we did. Our spouses worked the same night job and we went to the same college. They had no children, we had two. There were moves to other states. Now we are retired and live in the same town. We have a meal together a couple times a year and provide various kinds of help and support for each other. It's an important relationship but not a particularly close one.

When you've been friends for life there are a lot of changes. Still friends but different paths.
Somewhere long ago I heard it said that true friends over years may not see each other very often, or even communicate that often, but when they get together it's as though they are continuing the same conversation they were having the last time they saw each other. There's a unbroken bond there that supercedes ( for lack of a better description) the differences in their life paths, their varying life and philosophical ( and even political- certainly the case for me and my friends!) perspectives. Even with these differences- which friends who know each other well, and love, recognize as part of each's character- the love and concern for each person, share a genuine interest in how life has gone for each person, sharing the joys and sorrows, is as I see it the commonality that brings these friends together even if they don't see or communicate with each other very often.

Old 09-24-2023, 12:15 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
I saw an old friend who I'd been out of touch with for some 50 years. Met up in the city when both there and had a great time. Some of the basics never changed (we were very advanced for young people) and now we are in good contact despite the distance of some 2,000 miles (Vermont/Colorado).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement