Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2023, 10:45 AM

35,133 posts, read 31,431,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
How would you even MEET people "with whom you have nothing in common"? You must be in the same place and/or doing the same thing, or you'd never even run across each other (barring approaching strangers you see on the street). Ergo, where you met or what you were doing is at least ONE thing you have in common.
I used work for a hospital system with about 17,000 employees, and was a numerous software projects that impacted all sorts of teams. I ended up coming across tons of people I didn’t have anything in common with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2023, 10:48 AM

22,642 posts, read 47,813,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I used work for a hospital system with about 17,000 employees, and was a numerous software projects that impacted all sorts of teams. I ended up coming across tons of people I didn’t have anything in common with.
You had the hospital system and the software projects in common.
But even that little bit in commom does not make them good friends as the OP speculates....
They are merely workplace acquaintances.

Old 09-16-2023, 11:03 AM

5,010 posts, read 597,564 times
The people at work are not your friends.

Old 09-16-2023, 11:18 AM

844 posts, read 424,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allthatglitters View Post
They can be with time.

I have an ex-coworker from 30 yrs ago when we first met. We managed to stay in touch throughout the years and became good friends.

Old 09-16-2023, 11:44 AM

8,407 posts, read 4,429,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
You had the hospital system and the software projects in common.
But even that little bit in commom does not make them good friends as the OP speculates....
They are merely workplace acquaintances.
But that is like saying that breathing is what you have in common, or having a body made of carbon-based organic molecules. Having or not having something in common, when it comes to friends, generally refers to common beliefs and opinions.

Old 09-16-2023, 11:52 AM

22,642 posts, read 47,813,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Having or not having something in common, when it comes to friends, generally refers to common beliefs and opinions.

Ummmm, yeah?!?!

That is why I clearly said they were workplace acquaintances, not good friends.

Old 09-16-2023, 12:11 PM

5,010 posts, read 597,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigfishTim View Post
They can be with time.

I have an ex-coworker from 30 yrs ago when we first met. We managed to stay in touch throughout the years and became good friends.
That is so wonderful! I've never been able to maintain work friendships after I left the job. My office pals got me through the late nights, the tense meetings, and commiserated with me at more happy hours than I can count. However, even though that fostered trust and deep connections, those commonalities ended.

Old 09-16-2023, 12:19 PM

8,407 posts, read 4,429,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Ummmm, yeah?!?!

That is why I clearly said they were workplace acquaintances, not good friends.
Well, I don't discuss anything other than practical matters on hand with acquaintances (eg, workplace acquaintances, while I used to work). I have no idea what their beliefs and opinions are, nor do they have any idea of mine. The closest personal statement that we make to each other tends to be "happy holidays" :-).

Old 09-16-2023, 01:14 PM

18,740 posts, read 33,455,962 times
I prefer company of people who have a congruent approach to their lives. Doesn't have to mean they ski or ride horses or such, but they are self aware and at least somewhat open.

Old 09-16-2023, 01:36 PM

15,004 posts, read 12,208,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allthatglitters View Post
Work is where I have met all my long term friends, and a couple of them from our college days. Not everyone at work, of course, and I no longer work with them, but the friendships have lasted all these years. Though several of those friends have died.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement