Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2023, 06:27 PM

518 posts, read 629,589 times

Advertisements

What is your favorite genre(s) of books? Do you like mysteries, thriller, historical fiction, adventure, non-fiction, biographies, science fiction, romance? What was the last book you read and really enjoyed? I'm always looking for different genres of books to try and would like your opinions on books you really loved. Has anyone here read Steve Berry? Some his books are very informative when it comes to historical matters. Or perhaps you like Daniel Silva. My boss enjoys his books but I just can't get into them. I guess it really depends on the mood I'm in. Right now, I'm re-reading books by Lincoln Child and Douglas Preston and also books by James Rollins. I really enjoy the way they write about archeological (sp?) and ancient mysteries.

Last edited by Scarlett2; 07-28-2023 at 06:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2023, 06:36 PM

2,009 posts, read 1,221,830 times
I read a wide variety of genres. I just finished the Wright Brothers by David Mcollough sp?
was excellent

Started reading I Will Find You by Harlan Coban and I'm really liking it

Old 07-28-2023, 06:52 PM

I tried "I Will Find You" but a large plot hole near the beginning of the book turned me off. I don't want to be more specific because it might give away spoilers for those who haven't read it yet. I usually do like Harlan Cobin though.

Old 07-28-2023, 07:27 PM

2,009 posts, read 1,221,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlett2 View Post
I tried "I Will Find You" but a large plot hole near the beginning of the book turned me off. I don't want to be more specific because it might give away spoilers for those who haven't read it yet. I usually do like Harlan Cobin though.

First time I'm reading him. He definitely keeps the pages turning for me!

My favorite book is Into The Wild Jon Krakauer.

Old 07-28-2023, 07:38 PM

30,654 posts, read 16,313,181 times
mysteries, especially C J Box and Louise Penny.

also like nonfiction-nature, gardening mostly

and how-to even if it's something I've no interest in doing. I like knowing how it's done.

Old 07-29-2023, 08:18 AM

5,463 posts, read 4,086,184 times
I like Charles Dickens' works, memoirs by interesting people, some non-fiction, history. A niche author I just love is T. R. Pearson, mostly his "Neely" books about a small town down south. His long, convoluted sentences and eccentric characters remind me of Dickens and keep me thinking.

Old 07-29-2023, 08:56 AM

5,610 posts, read 6,545,063 times
I only read True Crime, or Biographies/Autobiographies. I just finished reading "A Serial Killer's Daughter" by Kerri Rawson, the daughter of Dennis Rader, also known as BTK. I cried along with her during her painful journey of living her "new" life and realizing her old life was nothing but a lie.

I also was into the Marx Brothers for several years, and read/own many books about and by them and their families. I love "old Hollywood" non-fiction. A good book I became aware of was about the actress Thelma Todd, a beauty who was in a couple Marx Brothers movies. Her death is a mystery to this day.

Last, I love the 2 books that are written by Hank Stuever, a journalist who still works for the Washington Post. His books are NOT political in any way, shape or form. The names are "Off Ramp", (written in 2004) about daily life happenings in the lives of regular people, and "Tinsel", following 3 families for 3 Christmas seasons (2006, 2007, and 2008) in Frisco, Texas.

Old 07-29-2023, 09:30 AM

48,581 posts, read 35,016,111 times
It varies a lot. Non Fiction, historical fiction, fantasy, sci fi, I like thrillers in the style of Gillian Flynn and Celeste Ng. I love stuff by Dubner, Gladwell, and Lewis. I like cookbooks that talk about cooking, like Salt Fat Acid Heat.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Last edited by Mikala43; 07-29-2023 at 09:39 AM..

Old 07-29-2023, 09:36 AM

Has anyone read "Matterhorn" a novel about the Vietnam War? I just put a hold on it at my local library. It's gigantic (over 600 pages) but I'm in the mood for good historical fiction right about now. It's an older book but for some reason, I never read it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement