Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2023, 09:49 AM

43,277 posts, read 18,419,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
You sound like fun. I was the caregiver of a blue and gold macaw who rode around on my shoulder. If he was still on this earth & I lived in Tucson, I'd join you there, THAT would be a trip.
There's a guy in my area that walks on the beach with his iguana and meets a lot of people and told me he's probably in a lot of "vacation photos".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2023, 07:03 PM

80 posts, read 63,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
The villages are very conservative and people there love Trump.
How many years have you lived in The Villages to be qualified to make such a claim? We live in The Villages, we don't love Trump and we would not consider ourselves "very conservative". When we are together with friends very rarely is politics at the forefront of conversation, nor is the complaining about ailments. People that have not lived here have so many misconceptions about what it is like living in The Villages. About the only fact they get right is that it is hot and humid in the summer but delightful in the winter.

Regarding the original topic of discussion, we find little need to seek social interactions outside The Villages. We have many friends here and there are so many activities you can get involved in. We feel very safe here with very little crime and none of the typical big city problems you hear about nowadays. We do like to venture out on day trips as there is a lot to see and do in Florida.

Old 07-25-2023, 03:55 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,082,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
The villages are very conservative and people there love Trump.
You do not live in The Villages but I do. FYI, the size of the population of The Villages in is 140k+ which is equivalent in size to the population of Pasadena, CA, and believe me the 140K+ people that live here are not all conservative Trump lovers!!! Most of the people that live in The Villages which includes us could care less about what political party, religion, sexual orientation, who one voted for for POTUS, etc. of our fellow residents. We are way too busy enjoying our retirements living in our beautiful community with more activities than we could ever possibly participate in and have no time to concern ourselves with such things. Unless you have first hand experience living in The Villages like I do, you may want to reconsider in the future making such broad brush stroke comments such as the one you made about my community ^ which has zero validity.

Old 07-25-2023, 08:04 PM

1,561 posts, read 1,056,783 times
So the perception of The Villages as having a sizeable right wing majority is not correct? I know the pictures of the Trump parade of golf carts got widespread publicity.

I do think reports of various sexual shenanigans going on there are probably greatly exaggerated.

Old 07-26-2023, 07:25 AM

8,800 posts, read 5,096,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefret View Post
So the perception of The Villages as having a sizeable right wing majority is not correct? I know the pictures of the Trump parade of golf carts got widespread publicity.

I do think reports of various sexual shenanigans going on there are probably greatly exaggerated.
I think the Trump golf cart parade happened because Trump was campaigning there....a one time event.

Old 07-27-2023, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefret View Post

Democrats in The Villages have golf cart parades also. Easy to Google the information to confirm.

Concerning your second comment, well, there probably is some of it going on but I would bet it is a heck of a lot less than you would think going by what you read, and probably only a small percentage compared to any other city of similar size.

Old 07-27-2023, 06:54 PM

//////

Old 07-29-2023, 06:49 AM

8,401 posts, read 4,424,552 times
I generally don't have interest in retirement communities, but check out this one: it offers free travel to any of their 70 network locations nationwide! You could travel domestically for one week every month, with no additional expense for accommodations! Hmm, now there is something that could interest me.

https://graciousretirementliving.com/mass

Old 07-29-2023, 07:05 AM

518 posts, read 628,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigfishTim View Post
Same here. I used to belong to a Church and the small group we were in are full of retirees. Whenever we get together, I asked "what's new? What's up?" The answer was always a shrug and "nada". What a BORING group of people! Their joy in life is talking about their grand babies

Younger people energizes me. I enjoy talking to them and offer advice when solicited.
Same here, Bigfish. I had an application in to a senior independent living facility but after serious second thoughts, withdrew it. I found I had no desire to live among older people exclusively. I like being around people of all ages and I'm still working and would have had to give up my job (which I enjoy) if I took full retirement and moved to that senior complex.

Old 07-29-2023, 07:07 AM

518 posts, read 628,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
Same here - I can't imagine living with/around a bunch of old people. I love the evenings when I hang out with my 3 year old neighbor and his parents on the back patio.
Same here, Bigfish. I had an application in to a senior independent living facility but after serious second thoughts, withdrew it. I found I had no desire to live among older people exclusively. I like being around people of all ages and I'm still working and would have had to give up my job (which I enjoy) if I took full retirement and moved to that senior complex. I can't tell you the amount of flak I got from several people in the Retirement forum when I said I didn't want to live among old people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement