Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2023, 02:48 PM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Are you referring to The Vllages (in Florida) or somewhere else?
Yes, The Villages is high up there on the list of possibilities. Wherever we choose is going to have a variety of things to do and places to dine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2023, 03:07 PM

2,857 posts, read 1,802,529 times
Approximately 64 homes in my 55+ community, only modular homes. Only road maintenance, plants are maintained. People are friendly, when we do see each other. Most if not all have family, activities outside the community.

Live on the Olympic Peninsula, WA; interact with people of all ages. Calvary Chapel, people of all ages. Very welcoming to all, GOD'S Word, from the Bible taught, good fellowship, free espresso !

Old 07-19-2023, 04:29 PM

7,066 posts, read 4,510,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Yes, The Villages is high up there on the list of possibilities. Wherever we choose is going to have a variety of things to do and places to dine.
The villages are very conservative and people there love Trump.

Old 07-19-2023, 04:58 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post

Remember to check the waiting times at the restaurants during the winter season when all the snowbirds are at the Villages. It ain't pretty.

Old 07-19-2023, 05:02 PM

1,554 posts, read 1,045,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I would never consider living there for that reason. However, for those of that political leaning and enjoying an active lifestyle, that would be the place to be.

I used to know someone who lived there. A typical day for her would be 18 holes of golf in the AM, followed by lunch with friends, followed by various afternoon activities such as book club or yoga, then perhaps a concert or stage production in the evening. Frequent travel to Orlando for various activities. That would wear me out but she thrived on being in constant motion. A delightful, outgoing person but could get quite intense regarding politics.

Old 07-19-2023, 06:28 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,280,272 times
You in Nogales, right? Go SOTB, tequila, dope, chicas or chicos, fiestas. You know, live.

Old 07-19-2023, 07:15 PM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
Quote:
We would fit right in I think.

I don't want to spend my days talking politics, I just want a nice safe place to live that is kept up and has a wide variety of things to do for active retirees.

We could move to a city, instead, but I don't want to live with homeless people camping in city parks, drugs, gangs, muggings, etc. I love the idea of a city but there are too many cities that have been ruined by bad policy making. Too old for that nonsense.

Old 07-19-2023, 07:22 PM

43,056 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
is your 55+ community your whole world?

After living 5 years in a 55+ community, I've grown tired of it, I've stopped going to any events, dinners or even Bingo. It's become too much like a prison, albeit a comfortable prison.

Being a night owl, I've been going to the Dive Bars in Tucson, there's about 12 of them, and I take my ferret with me into the bar, and I only drink one beer, that's all, and I bring a deck of cards along to play solitaire, if I'm not conversing with the bar patrons, and I also bring along a deck of Uno, in case there's a few people that want to play. Been meeting all kind of really nice friendly people, that aren't just seniors, and it's heart-warming to hear: When do we get to see you again?

A neighbor of mine urged me, 4 years ago, if living in a 55+ community, to have a life outside and I kick myself for not doing this 3-4 years ago as I'm fully enjoying every minute of it.

I do have a few close friends in my 55+ community and that's all I need.

How about you?
I'm not in a 55+ but I am in a large golf resort (4 courses) and the majority of people are retired here.
I do partake in some community events but I also have social groups outside of the community..church, volunteering with the city events. I'm also on the beach practically every day and so I know other locals and have met a bunch of vacationers while wandering the shore.

I agree with you that there's lots of nice friendly people out there.

Old 07-20-2023, 01:21 AM

1,824 posts, read 794,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Being a night owl, I've been going to the Dive Bars in Tucson, there's about 12 of them, and I take my ferret with me into the bar, and I only drink one beer, that's all, and I bring a deck of cards along to play solitaire, if I'm not conversing with the bar patrons, and I also bring along a deck of Uno, in case there's a few people that want to play. Been meeting all kind of really nice friendly people, that aren't just seniors, and it's heart-warming to hear: When do we get to see you again?
You sound like fun. I was the caregiver of a blue and gold macaw who rode around on my shoulder. If he was still on this earth & I lived in Tucson, I'd join you there, THAT would be a trip.

Old 07-20-2023, 09:21 AM

1,489 posts, read 790,661 times
Quote:
I never see where anyone has named a placed and said "people there love Biden". LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement