Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2023, 09:30 AM

2,926 posts, read 3,099,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
When CA first legalized it, the entire medical marijuana issue became a joke. Anyone and everyone who was a pot head could obtain a medical card. No one needed a medical exam to obtain a card. You just needed to know someone in the medical field who was giving them out or you could simply get them online. Unlike a real medical prescription, this "medication" was not something prescribed which you picked up at a pharmacy. You could renew this make believe prescription any time with no limits. Once you had a card, you could obtain pot for the rest of your life, no problem at all.

But even needing a card was too much hassle so recreational pot became the law in CA, which at least is a far more honest way of doing it.

There were countless people in CA that lost their jobs as a result. People thought they could get high and go to work because they had a medical card. Most companies still drug tested for marijuana and employees who tested positive were often times promptly fired. Many companies viewed coming to work high as a safety issue. This included the company I worked for. Many pot smokers weren't bright enough to know that it was still illegal federally and federal law overrides state law every time.
That's all fine and great but we're talking retired here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2023, 09:36 AM

43,194 posts, read 18,353,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
I belive once you hit a certain age, you have earned the right to do whatever makes you happy. My mom is 72 and has never smoked, drank, done drugs, or anything else for that matter. She also lives alone, is not social but watches her weight and is very critical of everything and it drives me nuts; just seems like such a boring way to live. I am the complete opposite...when I hit 65 im going to stop caring what others think and just have a good time. I figure its the last chapter in life, why not enjoy it.
My mantra is that I'm on summer vacation for the rest of my life only this time I have money and a car !

Old 06-16-2023, 11:56 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,812,200 times
I waited decades for mj to be legal. Well that never stopped me from smoking it before, but my cardiologist says don't do it. Okay, I may have taken a puff or two, but nothing to excess and only once in a blue moon. As per my cardiologist, it can damage your heart. I have some aortic stenosis and a rapid heart rate is not a good thing. Pot can increase your heart rate. I do miss that mellow buzz though.

Old 06-16-2023, 12:21 PM

35,105 posts, read 31,381,963 times
Personally, as someone who has been a heavy drinker, pot is far, far less harmful than excessive alcohol.

You can go from relatively mild, like D8, to wild, like certain D9 strains and THC0. Even taking too much edible, while unpleasant for awhile, is much easier to get over the next day than a big hangover.

Old 06-16-2023, 01:02 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,033,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Personally, as someone who has been a heavy drinker, pot is far, far less harmful than excessive alcohol.

You can go from relatively mild, like D8, to wild, like certain D9 strains and THC0. Even taking too much edible, while unpleasant for awhile, is much easier to get over the next day than a big hangover.
Well, a few things.

When I was drinking, I operated under "Flight Rules" of no driving for 8 hours after my last drink, no scuba diving or carrying of weapons for 12 hours. Any drink for the clock started on the last swallow. It was rather maddening trying to get my alcohol fix and then making the time limit. Now, of course, I don't worry about that.

Further, I like the way, now, I feel each morning as oppose to a few short years ago.

But what would be the detox limit for pot? I don't know since I do carry weapons, it is not a question to ask because the two don't mix.......ever.

Play the rules and limits as you like but I hope that we.....or any other non player are not in the same sphere of influence.

Finally, as said above, I am a scuba diver. As I have gotten older, I have often been using my tables as oppose to my computers for decompression limits since the tables have more safety allowances pushed into them. Older bodies are not as flexible as young ones.......think about that.

Old 06-17-2023, 08:33 AM

2,525 posts, read 1,951,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
My mantra is that I'm on summer vacation for the rest of my life only this time I have money and a car !

Love that Mantra. I couldn't Rep You again.........so I'll do that right here and now !!

Old 06-17-2023, 09:41 AM

43,194 posts, read 18,353,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLoaves View Post
Love that Mantra. I couldn't Rep You again.........so I'll do that right here and now !!
I share it so that others may use it if they want.
I say that every morning when I make my coffee.
Makes you think back to those carefree days of June, July and August when "doing nothing" was something and every day was Saturday.

Old 06-17-2023, 10:34 AM

11,590 posts, read 6,063,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by considerforamoment View Post
Curious why you think that "prescribed medicine" is morally superior to a medicinal plant that has no harmful side effects (talking about edibles, not smoking, as smoking anything is not good for your lungs).
I was only making a distinction between needing medical assistance and doing drugs recreationally.

Old 06-17-2023, 01:49 PM

1,136 posts, read 588,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caco54 View Post
I am 68 and retired. Back in my high school and college days and for a time after I smoked pot. Once employed with random drug testing, a family, etc I stopped. Now free from those “restrictions” I have gotten back into it and I am enjoying the experience. Very calculated “dose” sizes makes the high just what I need. Dabbling once every week or so seems to cover. Recreational purchase, cheap, legal and safe.
Hmmm...

I considered it myself as I smoked it in my early 20's for a few years, but stopped, and then later joined the military.

Now retired and in my 60'sI would never smoke anything now, but the edibles look controlled and no nasty smells or lung damage.

Unfortunately, I love shooting as a hobby and our backward laws prohibit gun purchases and even medically prescribed THC use. I wont lie on a federal form!

A woman in Virginia was arrested for that recently, as her son took her firearm to school and shot his teacher. She lied about using marijuana tp purchase her gun, and is now paying the price.

I can drink as much whiskey as I want, and still be a legal firearm owner, but cant use the new edibles.

So I guess no retirement edibles for me until the fed govt gets these backwards laws rescinded.

Old 06-17-2023, 02:40 PM

1,222 posts, read 544,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
To me there isn't much difference between decriminalization and legalization.
The difference is in purchasing it. It is not sold in stores, so you would have to trust someone to get you some that is pure - lots of people don't know someone who sells the stuff and the trust issue in terms of the product is enormous these days.

If you get caught with it, it's not a problem - it's the purchase of pure product that's the problem when it's criminalized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement