Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2023, 05:23 AM

3,262 posts, read 4,998,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Like a lot of older folks I've given thought to checking out Florida for a long visit or even to move. BUT the summer heat would probably do me in given the high humidity which makes it harder to breathe in my opinion. Maybe it's genetic? I have younger friends down there who seem to do just fine, but even in NC the summer humidity slows me down.

So has anyone successfully changed their way of excercising to be more comfortable in the humid weather? I'm worried that even walking will leave us sweat covered in no time. Are air conditioned gyms the only answer? Swimming laps in a pool? Here in NC we love to take nature walks on greenways or public parks. But I suspect that most of the year in FL it would be too humid for those of us that think even NC gets a bit too humid in the summer.

Am I overthinking this? Can a person get used to the high dewpoints? What have fellow retires in the FL area noticed.
To answer the bolded questions: Yes. For six months of the year, I do my walking at the YMCA (we have a beautiful new one here in Orlando) and I swim in my pool. I've lived in Florida for 50 years and have never become accustomed to the heat. I live here for reasons other than climate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2023, 06:00 AM

4,536 posts, read 3,753,826 times
We have an active dog and walk several times a day, staying inside in the AC isn’t an option. In the summer we limit long walks to morning and evening as the pavement is too hot on paws. We do our own yard work on 1/2 an acre. I used to come inside and wait a half hour to cool down before showering otherwise I was still sweating after the shower. We have a pool now and it is is wonderful way to cool down after weeding or walking the dog.

When we first moved here, the humidity felt like walking into a wall when opening the door to the garage in the summer. I have acclimated since then because I’m outside every day year round. There is no acclimating if running from an AC to AC environment. We keep our AC at 80 in the day and 78 at night. It’s where we are comfortable. Going from an icebox to an oven doesn’t work well.

It’s very hot and humid for six months and not so much the other six months. We live in SWFL and knew it was hot and humid when we moved here. Moving here for only the weather is a sure path to disappointment and becoming yet another complainer. If sweating, humidity and heat are a problem, FL will never be acceptable even with AC.

Last edited by jean_ji; 05-31-2023 at 06:23 AM..

Old 05-31-2023, 06:44 AM

30,505 posts, read 16,206,257 times
just curious why you want to move to FL when NC seems like it's got it all.

Old 05-31-2023, 06:49 AM

24,607 posts, read 9,442,839 times
There's a great invention called a gym.

Old 05-31-2023, 06:52 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
There's a great invention called a gym.
Yep, but lots of people do not want to live having to jump for building to building in order not to faint.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-31-2023, 07:07 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,698 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Gardening, running, biking .... Pre-dawn! we had a corporate bicycle competition while living in Singapore, practice was 4am to 6am.

Otherwise... Lap swimming indoor AC / conditioned space. I do 72 laps day, takes about 30 minutes, but some days, 4x that amount. (Usually during bad weather). One snowy blizzard day I swam all day. Beats freezing, or roasting!

Loved to community public swim centers in NZ. One town had an indoor pool with 25 lap lanes. They were full.

Old 05-31-2023, 07:11 AM

6,627 posts, read 4,295,043 times
We are at our daughter’s now in the Panhandle. It is only 82 degrees and hot as everything. Will get much hotter. Don’t see why anyone would want to live in FL. We live in western NC, which has moderate year-round weather.

Old 05-31-2023, 07:11 AM

4,542 posts, read 2,266,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Gardening, running, biking .... Pre-dawn! we had a corporate bicycle competition while living in Singapore, practice was 4am to 6am.

Otherwise... Lap swimming indoor AC / conditioned space. I do 72 laps day, takes about 30 minutes, but some days, 4x that amount. (Usually during bad weather). One snowy blizzard day I swam all day. Beats freezing, or roasting!

Loved to community public swim centers in NZ. One town had an indoor pool with 25 lap lanes. They were full.

Yep. We always take our walks and walk our dogs first thing in the morning before the concrete gets boiling hot. Its beautiful in the morning and right at sunset. Other than that, in the summer, you feel like you are going to burst into flames.

Old 05-31-2023, 07:19 AM

8,752 posts, read 5,046,098 times
Many gyms have walking tracks.

Old 05-31-2023, 07:24 AM

4,939 posts, read 3,047,903 times
[quote=rabbit33;65352028]Acclimate!
/quote]

Have you ever tried a bike ride, or cutting the grass in August down there?.
There is no acclimation to this, other than moving to more temperate climate; which I did.
The solution is actually a cooling vest, which one immerses in ice water prior to wearing; messy but very effective in lowering core temp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement