Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2023, 11:50 AM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk2 View Post
Mobile Home or Stick Built?
Is that truly your only options?

I live in a steel building in the style of a Barndominium, 2400 sq ft.

Here locally we have multiple 'Modular home' manufacturers. Which gives the buyer a choice between 20 or 30 floorplans.

In the case of one of our neighbors, the husband died. The widow made an offer to their daughter [and her husband], and together they bought a custom-built Modular. The old house was bulldozed and a month later the Modular was delivered on-site.

The new Modular has been there for about five years now and they seem to be happy with it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2023, 11:50 AM

3,083 posts, read 2,213,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I would imagine that you would just move your mobile home to another park. It's the same thing when your apartment rent gets too high. You move.
Think again. Mobile homes are not so mobile! Moving a mobile home — if it is new enough to be moved at all (a big if) — can cost as much as $15,000. And, Residents, about half of whom are seniors or disabled people on fixed incomes - get stuck.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...-rents-rising/
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/eco...ents-rcna77168
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/07/25/rent...ome-parks.html

Old 04-19-2023, 12:00 PM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
Think again. Mobile homes are not so mobile! Moving a mobile home — if it is new enough to be moved at all (a big if) — can cost as much as $15,000. And, Residents, about half of whom are seniors or disabled people on fixed incomes - get stuck.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...-rents-rising/
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/eco...ents-rcna77168
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/07/25/rent...ome-parks.html
I think those are modular homes. Not mobile homes like RVs/campers/trailers which can be moved fairly easily.

Old 04-19-2023, 12:13 PM

Quote:
I think those are modular homes. Not mobile homes like RVs/campers/trailers which can be moved fairly easily.
Do you think the OP in this thread is looking to buy a RV or camper? To refresh memory - this is what the OP said:

"The MH's are all around 1100 square feet with a 3/2 layout, large bathrooms and beautiful kitchens. The park is being rebuilt after an arson fire three years ago to a very high standard (including a pool!). If the homes weren't so nice I wouldn't consider them but a stick built house which is just as nice, to me anyway, will cost a minimum of $150k more.

The OP is looking at modular home in a mobile home park as one of the alternatives.

Old 04-19-2023, 12:14 PM

I guess figure out who these corporate investors are behind all of these ridiculous lot rent increases and park your mobile home in their corporate lot.

I am so sick of all of the government induced shenanigans in our housing market. The agencies are harming the very ones they propose to help.

Old 04-19-2023, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Do you think the OP in this thread is looking to buy a RV or camper? To refresh memory - this is what the OP said:

"The MH's are all around 1100 square feet with a 3/2 layout, large bathrooms and beautiful kitchens. The park is being rebuilt after an arson fire three years ago to a very high standard (including a pool!). If the homes weren't so nice I wouldn't consider them but a stick built house which is just as nice, to me anyway, will cost a minimum of $150k more.

The OP is looking at modular home in a mobile home park as one of the alternatives.
I don't know for sure. There are some really nice trailers out there. But you're probably right that Op is talking about a modular home.

Probably better to rent than to own in that particular situation.

Old 04-19-2023, 12:16 PM

Quote:
I guess figure out who these corporate investors are behind all of these ridiculous lot rent increases and park your mobile home in their corporate lot.

I am so sick of all of the government induced shenanigans in our housing market. The agencies are harming the very ones they propose to help.
Just the usual antigovernmental rant - without a lot of information or thought behind.

Old 04-19-2023, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Just the usual antigovernmental rant - without a lot of information or thought behind.
Read the articles. WaPo is about as left leaning pro government as a news rag gets.

Old 04-19-2023, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Read the articles. WaPo is about as left leaning pro government as a news rag gets.
You have a problem, not me. Rant away - as usual. Too many posts, not even reading what the posts are about, quick but frequent thoughtless responses.

Old 04-19-2023, 12:59 PM

Quote:
You have a problem, not me. Rant away - as usual. Too many posts, not even reading what the posts are about, quick but frequent thoughtless responses.
Rather than tell me how dumb I am, why don't you explain why you think the government does not have a hand in these rental increases.

Explain how any of this is helpful for the people of modest means living in those mobile/modular home communities.

Where are all of these corporate investors coming from and why is this (targeting people of small means) so easy for them to do? Inquiring minds wanna know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement