Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2023, 10:23 PM

2,863 posts, read 1,808,197 times

Advertisements

Oregon, a couple, mid-70's, moved somewhere in Oregon, to a place where both healthy. When needed more care, they would live in an assisted living home nearby ? Perhaps others know of such communities. Know another couple, moved to such a community in AZ.

A modular home, I reside, 55 community, shaped like a horseshoe, 66 homes. Property taxes based on ones income. There's a different structure than a manufactured home, I think. Grateful to have a home !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2023, 12:22 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,714 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Yes to MH,. If....
1) resident owned park https://www.rocusa.org/meet-the-communities/
2) 100% handicap equipped from ground level and accessible from a covered carport. No ramps, no steps. These homes are either on an incline hill, or 'pit-set'.

MH can be very nice and affordable, but often decline in value.

Big no to a tiny home. They are way overpriced. And too small for caregiving role.

Old 04-19-2023, 06:03 AM

17,310 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk2 View Post
Hi all, I posted part of this in the Real Estate forum but want some advice so here is a crossover, if that's allowed.

My elderly husband is in decline (he's 81, I'm 68) and in the near future we may be looking to sell our current home and make significant changes.

My dilemma is this: should I purchase a beautifully appointed, so-called "tiny house" (they used to be called "mobile homes, lol) in an over-55 community with a $600 per month rental fee or a "real house" in a regular neighborhood? The price differential for the home would be around $150k, which could be otherwise invested. Still, there is that rental fee.

The MH's are all around 1100 square feet with a 3/2 layout, large bathrooms and beautiful kitchens. The park is being rebuilt after an arson fire three years ago to a very high standard (including a pool!). If the homes weren't so nice I wouldn't consider them but a stick built house which is just as nice, to me anyway, will cost a minimum of $150k more.

I'm talking myself into the MH but don't want to regret it down the line.

Thanks in advance.

My buddy bought a MH in the Florida Keys. When I questioned his judgment (hurricanes/floods) he said they get delivered on a truck after driving on the highway at 60+ MPH for days. He put his on stilts so it was 5 ft off the ground or something. Seemed like two valid arguments!

Old 04-19-2023, 07:44 AM

24,548 posts, read 10,869,900 times
To me it sounds like OP has her mind made up already.
I would be more concerened about needs once husband's mobility decreases than a now beautiful kitchen. 3/2 and 1100 sqf makes for small rooms/hallways.

Old 04-19-2023, 08:28 AM

983 posts, read 608,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I love mobile homes but you have to be careful. In many cases the owner of the park can sell it and then you're stuck. Or the owners can raise the rent on the land and again, you're stuck.

My parents had a mobile home in a retirement park as a summer home after they retired but there had been one of those messy predicaments like what I described above. It was settled by having all residents pay into the ownership of the land. Everyone bought a share and in that way there was no owner able to sell the land beneath their feet.

The mobile home parks I've seen offered more privacy than a condo and were quiet. You had your own yard, which you don't get in a condo. I wouldn't want the upkeep on a house and it gets worse and worse as time goes by and you are able to do less for yourself.

However, I have seen condos that had teeny fenced in backyards but it's still more like an apartment home. Depends on what you like--a yard of your own? A real house? Just a unit in a building? A mobile home will depreciate in price and you have to watch out for the possibility of the owners selling the land out from under you but if they had them around here and you could be sure the land wouldn't be sold I'd go for a cute mobile home with a little bit of a yard so I could have a garden and some privacy.
Not necessarily true. They may not increase as quickly as a stick home but they will go up if repairs and maintenance is kept up. We have seen some go over 200,000 that are not completely redone (old windows, built ins, etc) that are 1979 or so.

We have a share in our park so a stable monthly fee but then we pay real estate taxes on our home. We get a great sense of community here and don't have to take care of the pool

Old 04-19-2023, 08:47 AM

17,381 posts, read 16,524,581 times
I think you should go with the option that gives you the best access to fun activities for YOU to do.

You need to have some things to look forward to. You'll need to be able to get out for a 30 minute game of pickle ball and even your husband might enjoy sitting in his wheelchair around a campfire listening to group songs, stories and the like.

Old 04-19-2023, 09:27 AM

30,527 posts, read 16,222,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I think you should go with the option that gives you the best access to fun activities for YOU to do.

You need to have some things to look forward to. You'll need to be able to get out for a 30 minute game of pickle ball and even your husband might enjoy sitting in his wheelchair around a campfire listening to group songs, stories and the like.

and, sad as it is to think about, something you can handle when he's gone.

Old 04-19-2023, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
and, sad as it is to think about, something you can handle when he's gone.
Married couples have to think of the time when one of them is gone. Barring some sort of sudden tragedy or some really strange luck, one spouse will outlive the other spouse. What then? What would you hope your life to look like.

Old 04-19-2023, 11:42 AM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk2 View Post
Hi all, I posted part of this in the Real Estate forum but want some advice so here is a crossover, if that's allowed.

My elderly husband is in decline (he's 81, I'm 68) and in the near future we may be looking to sell our current home and make significant changes.

My dilemma is this: should I purchase a beautifully appointed, so-called "tiny house" (they used to be called "mobile homes, lol) in an over-55 community with a $600 per month rental fee or a "real house" in a regular neighborhood? The price differential for the home would be around $150k, which could be otherwise invested. Still, there is that rental fee.

The MH's are all around 1100 square feet with a 3/2 layout, large bathrooms and beautiful kitchens. The park is being rebuilt after an arson fire three years ago to a very high standard (including a pool!). If the homes weren't so nice I wouldn't consider them but a stick built house which is just as nice, to me anyway, will cost a minimum of $150k more.

I'm talking myself into the MH but don't want to regret it down the line.

Thanks in advance.
A mobile or manufactured home may be good and a good value, but renting a lot in a park is not something I would ever do or recommend. The rental fee can go up, the park could be sold out from under you.

What's wrong with staying put?

How important is saving the $150K to your overall plans?

Old 04-19-2023, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
A mobile or manufactured home may be good and a good value, but renting a lot in a park is not something I would ever do or recommend. The rental fee can go up, the park could be sold out from under you.

What's wrong with staying put?

How important is saving the $150K to your overall plans?
I would imagine that you would just move your mobile home to another park. It's the same thing when your apartment rent gets too high. You move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement