Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2022, 02:59 PM

88,749 posts, read 85,140,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
What on earth is KD?
Oh, lol, Kraft Dinner, or as we call it in the States, Kraft Macaroni and Cheese.

I am in Ontario, Canada. Canadians eat more KD than any other country in the world. They make jokes about it in TV commercials and in music.

A verse from Barenaked Ladies' song "If I Had a Million Dollars":

If I had a million dollars
We wouldn't have to eat Kraft dinner
But we would eat Kraft dinner
Of course we would we'd just eat more
And buy really expensive ketchups with it
Thats right all the fanciest Dijon ketchups
mmm mmm

Old 11-21-2022, 03:04 PM

88,749 posts, read 85,140,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
We just have sooooo many restaurants…..we haven’t been traveling since covid but I bet we spend as much as our travel budget just trying food from surrounding places .

When we had the house in pa it was boring as heck when it came to restaurants…there were so few and you had to keep driving farther and farther to find something different.

I cant live rural at all .

Plus when the weather is bad we can jump on a train and be in manhattan in 28 minutes .endless things to do
I know, I'm from the other side of the Hudson. Worked in the city 40 years.

But I lived part-time very rural for a few years after. Traded the restaurants and action for amazing night skies, loons calling in summer, wolves howling in winter. It was worth it.

Old 11-21-2022, 03:06 PM

107,000 posts, read 109,295,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I know, I'm from the other side of the Hudson. Worked in the city 40 years.

But I lived part-time very rural for a few years after. Traded the restaurants and action for amazing night skies, loons calling in summer, wolves howling in winter. It was worth it.
The walk around the lake and animal sounds worked for a few years when we were in the poconos .

Life got very boring for us all too quickly , especially in the long , cold icy winters .

It was fun in the summer but even that got boring after a while

Old 11-21-2022, 03:43 PM

17,440 posts, read 22,203,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I Rarely eat out at a restaurant, a Chinese Buffet once or 2X a year and Papa John's (Murphy's?) occasionally for a pizza to bake at home, and only on Tuesday's when all large pizza's are $10.99.

I eat out every night......easily a $3000 a month expense.

A few rules:

1. NO chain restaurants (Outback in hometown USA is the same as Outback in NY) Why bother?

2. I enjoy it. Does a $7 beer taste better than drinking a $2 one at home, nope but hey these people are running a business.

3. I don't want to overspend. I had dinner for $800 at the Bellagio once, it was excellent but come on $800 is ridiculous. I eat at Joe's Stone Crabs in Miami beach every year on New Years. Sure its $500-750 but I'm actually already planning this year's visit. Its the oldest restaurant in Miami Beach, they do 65 million a year in business and they are only open 9 months a year (do that math!).

Tonight I'm going to a sushi place that is 1-3 times a week for me(lunch/dinner whatever). It will be excellent and for 3 people it will be $125+. Everyone that works for there has known me for 10+ years, I have attended family events/weddings with them. I'm thrilled they are having such a great success in America and I'm happy to contribute to that.

I don't smoke, not a heavy drinker/gambler so restaurants are "my thing." So I pay for what I like.

Old 11-21-2022, 05:10 PM

23,277 posts, read 29,140,117 times
As for buying a cup of Ramen noodles for 50 cents, you can add diced onion and an egg to make it a good snack.

Old 11-21-2022, 05:25 PM

35,145 posts, read 31,453,865 times
One of the things that I've noticed is the price difference between something like Subway and trying to make something similar at home.

With coupon (plenty arrive), I can get a 6" for $3.49. I'm not going to eat all those toppings if I buy them myself. There will be a lot of waste. It's probably cheaper for me to get that lunch than try to make my own sandwiches.

Old 11-21-2022, 05:26 PM

12,065 posts, read 10,310,415 times
Quote:
As for buying a cup of Ramen noodles for 50 cents, you can add diced onion and an egg to make it a good snack.
all this talk of ramen made me go heat up one of those instant cups. Hit the spot for the moment.

I eat that maybe once a month.

Old 11-21-2022, 05:35 PM

8,372 posts, read 6,474,738 times
After you get a stent you try to eat healthy. Restaurant food is full of fat and salt, still I go some.

Old 11-21-2022, 06:26 PM

8,013 posts, read 3,949,085 times
Quote:
I Rarely eat out at a restaurant, a Chinese Buffet once or 2X a year and Papa John's (Murphy's?) occasionally for a pizza to bake at home, and only on Tuesday's when all large pizza's are $10.99.

Being alone on Thanksgiving, I thought I might walk the 3 blocks to IHOP (hard to find anything open at Thanksgiving, slim pickings) so I googled their menu. OMG! Omelets at $12-$15, and with sides and beverage and tip?

I decided to google the menu's at other restaurants within walking distance. I almost choked looking at the prices at Outback Steakhouse, and? That parking lot is always full! Where are people getting this $$ today to eat out?
The bank. The go to the bank and withdraw money. Some use a 9mm while others use a .45 caliber.

Old 11-21-2022, 06:32 PM

8,013 posts, read 3,949,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
We rarely eat out and was shocked at the cost recently......$48 for breakfast for two.......Chic-fil-a Fast Food was $30 for two......
Around here, a Chic-fil-A Grilled Chicken Sandwich is $6.39. I drink water (free). Add in 9% sales tax & it is just under $7. That's $14 for two people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement