Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2022, 08:56 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,599 posts, read 81,279,384 times

Advertisements

No, but then we never did go to the really fancy, expensive restaurants where you over pay and leave hungry. We stick to the family run non-chain Italian, Chinese, Mexican, or the Brew Pub type for dinner, about once a week. Generally we only spend $50-60 (for two) before tip. We may also go out for breakfast once in a while, and that's under $30. One of our fun outings is exploring the diner or "dive' type places for lunch, so we'll drive as far as an hour to try a place on a Saturday or Sunday, and again, it's going to be less than $30 for burgers or Fish & Chips. If we had less spending money, we would take advantage of the senior discounts and Happy Hour menus to be able to keep eating out, because we enjoy it. With the inflation today and difficulty finding help, we are very much willing to pay a little more.

Old 11-21-2022, 08:59 AM

14,958 posts, read 12,170,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Quite frankly I don’t know how people can afford to eat anymore. It’s absolutely insane. We are lucky in that we simply don’t eat much so we often share a meal or just get an appetizer. But we rarely eat out anyway.
I think eating out provides some entertainment as well as just eating . Just because or celebrating an occasion IMO are good reasons to eat out, though we don't do it often, or go to places where it's prohibitively expensive. I don't see how people could do that every night.

It's ecpensive eating at home too these days, unless its on a steady diet of ramen noodles ( I still remember those college days with ramen noodles and Kraft Macaroni and Cheese- 4 boxes for $1.00 on sale were staples). The people I really feel for are families with several children. I don't know how they do it.

Old 11-21-2022, 09:42 AM

88,631 posts, read 84,895,898 times
I've never in my life eaten ramen noodles. Never even heard of them until City-Data, but then again, I didn't go to college, which is how most people seem to know about them.

Why wouldn't one eat rice and beans instead? Has to be just as cheap and certainly more appetizing!

On the other hand, when I was a vegetarian and my dd was in college, there was this great restaurant that was not vegetarian but offered some good veg dishes on its menu. They had this plate of black beans and rice with sweet potatoes and collard greens. Always took home leftovers, but dang, they charged $18, and that was 7 or 8 years ago. I get a hankering for that meal every so often, but I make a cheap version at home.

Old 11-21-2022, 10:19 AM

11,117 posts, read 7,180,697 times
The questionable quality of restaurant "food", and handling/processing by the minimum wage, scared me off way before prices. Higher prices just seals the deal!

Old 11-21-2022, 10:49 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,922,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
We bring in more than we eat out .

We are always picking up from our favorite restaurants
Same for us. We haven't eaten at a restaurant in our town since Covid began.

We do bring food in once or twice a week ranging from fast food to restaurant entrees.

I don't mind running out to get the food. Since I've been WFH for the last three years, it's a good excuse to get out of the house for a bit.

Old 11-21-2022, 11:41 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,747,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I've never in my life eaten ramen noodles. Never even heard of them until City-Data, but then again, I didn't go to college, which is how most people seem to know about them.

Why wouldn't one eat rice and beans instead? Has to be just as cheap and certainly more appetizing!

On the other hand, when I was a vegetarian and my dd was in college, there was this great restaurant that was not vegetarian but offered some good veg dishes on its menu. They had this plate of black beans and rice with sweet potatoes and collard greens. Always took home leftovers, but dang, they charged $18, and that was 7 or 8 years ago. I get a hankering for that meal every so often, but I make a cheap version at home.
Ramen costs less than 50 cents a serving and all you need is boiling water so you can make it anywhere.

Old 11-21-2022, 11:52 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,765,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

I just had Ramen for lunch! Nothing healthy about them but I think they are good. Im not a foodie and to be honest would rather have a bowl of Ramen over a steak. My wife hates going out to eat with me because I choose my meal based on price 95% of the time unless I have a craving for something specific. I just have a hard time spending money on something I dont get any enjoyment from. I could spend $50 on a steak or $15 on a burger and at the end of the day they will both fill me up and in a few days I would have no memory of what I even ate so why spend more, lol. I spent over $300 dollars at a restaurant in Atlantic City years ago for my wife and and years later all I remember is the price, not what I ate.

Old 11-21-2022, 11:55 AM

1,436 posts, read 670,225 times
We eat out less and we eat earlier. Breakfast or lunch instead of dinner.

Old 11-21-2022, 11:55 AM

43,181 posts, read 18,318,340 times
My son loves ramen but they are way too salty for me.

Old 11-21-2022, 11:56 AM

37,639 posts, read 46,045,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I think eating out provides some entertainment as well as just eating . Just because or celebrating an occasion IMO are good reasons to eat out, though we don't do it often, or go to places where it's prohibitively expensive. I don't see how people could do that every night.

It's ecpensive eating at home too these days, unless its on a steady diet of ramen noodles ( I still remember those college days with ramen noodles and Kraft Macaroni and Cheese- 4 boxes for $1.00 on sale were staples). The people I really feel for are families with several children. I don't know how they do it.
Of course. We used to take my parents out every year on their anniversary, to Ruth's Chris. Definitely pricey, but it was excellent food and unparalleled service (the one here is really out of this world). But at the prices now, even at the lesser-priced places, I am inclined to get my entertainment elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement