Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2022, 03:19 PM

7,430 posts, read 4,758,483 times

Advertisements

Galaxy, you have put up with so much disrespect that I am amazed that you can even stand to look at your spouse. There’s much worse things then living alone. I actually am really enjoying not having to care for anyone and not having to clean up my ex’s constant messes. One of you will care for the other until death and then the last one will be alone. I have joined a few senior meetup groups and enjoy both the female and male companionship in addition to my friends and family. My life is full and happy with a lot less stress. Fluffythewondercat has been miserable in her marriage for a long time. I am hoping she finds peace and happiness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2022, 04:10 PM

89,019 posts, read 85,546,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Oh, by GOD they are Canadians.....BORING PEOPLE.

The ones that don't leave for the US!!! Do a search of famous Canadians. Wow, what a contribution to the USA.

As Henry Kissinger said " all you need to know about a country are people trying to get IN or OUT".

Bless the Canadians that have left Canada and so enriched the lives of Americans.
Ahem. I am an American currently (not permanently) in Canada. In 2018, on my 10th trip over the border, the CBSA had me pull over and go talk to the nice immigration lady to find out why I was traveling into their country so frequently. She told me that since our 2016 election, 8000 Americans a month were applying to move to Canada. They were backlogged with applications, and they knew some Americans were trying to sneak in illegally.

I told them I still had a job, a home, and an elderly mother in the States that I'd be returning to. But I was surprised at the 8000 number.

Old 01-15-2022, 04:15 PM

48,709 posts, read 35,206,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Ahem. I am an American currently (not permanently) in Canada. In 2018, on my 10th trip over the border, the CBSA had me pull over and go talk to the nice immigration lady to find out why I was traveling into their country so frequently. She told me that since our 2016 election, 8000 Americans a month were applying to move to Canada. They were backlogged with applications, and they knew some Americans were trying to sneak in illegally.

I told them I still had a job, a home, and an elderly mother in the States that I'd be returning to. But I was surprised at the 8000 number.
Yeah, I couldn't figure out there post. Nothing made sense, including taking the post a face value. I don't find Canada boring, more "drama free".

But still, they had Rob Ford, so you can't count on them ALL the time.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-15-2022, 04:25 PM

89,019 posts, read 85,546,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Yeah, I couldn't figure out there post. Nothing made sense, including taking the post a face value. I don't find Canada boring, more "drama free".

But still, they had Rob Ford, so you can't count on them ALL the time.
No, it's not. I mean, I watched their PM election process. It's just more polite (and most wonderfully, limited to only 36 days or so). 5 candidates debating, not 2. But they still say negative things about each other.

And there are anti-mask protestors in the park every Saturday, etc., and occasionally you see signs in front of houses suggesting the PM do something anatomically impossible. It's the same, only different!

But it is not boring.

Had to look up Rob Ford. He was before my time here.

Old 01-15-2022, 04:48 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,114,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
.............But it is not boring.......
Have you guys lived in Canada??? IT IS a boring country!!!

I remember going to see a movie in Canada and at that time in Canada there was always a "short" sponsored and paid for by the Canadian Film Board.

The clip was pretty funny. I showed Canadians having fun doing various activities, and then a huge dump of snow fell on everybody!!! Fun activity, quickly followed by a dump of snow...then another fun activity and then the huge dump of snow.

Even the Canadian Film Board paid for film showing that "fun" doesn't happen in Canada.

Old 01-15-2022, 05:10 PM

48,709 posts, read 35,206,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Have you guys lived in Canada??? IT IS a boring country!!!

I remember going to see a movie in Canada and at that time in Canada there was always a "short" sponsored and paid for by the Canadian Film Board.

The clip was pretty funny. I showed Canadians having fun doing various activities, and then a huge dump of snow fell on everybody!!! Fun activity, quickly followed by a dump of snow...then another fun activity and then the huge dump of snow.

Even the Canadian Film Board paid for film showing that "fun" doesn't happen in Canada.

Well that just proves it.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-15-2022, 05:43 PM

14,045 posts, read 27,300,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
Sorry for you. DH andI have breakfast together, go on long walks, and yes watch the news together with a glass of wine before dinner. Life is to short, not to be happy with the one you are with. There are happy couples out there, who do talk to each other!
Same for me and my wife of nearly 50 years.

Speeding up the video to 1.25 made it a lot easier to watch.

The advice given is pretty good for folks who are approaching retirement and haven't really focused on how to proceed once retired. But it assumes you want to constructively continue to work on your relationship.

I have been retired for over 15 years now, and we pretty much have developed some of the routines mentioned in the video. We eat breakfast together every morning, and typically have a lot to talk about during this time together. We also have taken walks as part of our daily routine, and as they mention in the video we have used retirement time to take "staycations" and explore some of the activities and features in our Northern California area. It has been a relatively easy transformation, and we still keep many of the same routines to this day.

But the video assumes that you want to continue having the relationship, and posting this video as a "negative" certainly implies that the basic positive attitude towards continuing the relationship isn't there.

Old 01-15-2022, 07:02 PM

6,331 posts, read 4,251,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
You can change the playback speed. 1.25 might make them sound more normal. 2.0 really perks them up.

Great tip and wow what a difference, much better. Thanks

Old 01-15-2022, 07:19 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,515,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
You can change the playback speed. 1.25 might make them sound more normal. 2.0 really perks them up.
Oh, so glad you reminded me I can do that in case I watch the video!

Old 01-16-2022, 02:57 PM

22,128 posts, read 13,271,045 times
Could have saved your marriage?

From what little I've read here, I doubt it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement