Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2021, 10:35 AM

6,141 posts, read 3,362,970 times

Advertisements

Lifestyle is part of it.

But your body makeup is part of it, too.

You could live perfectly, eat perfectly, and still die young because of your own genetics.

You could live like a wild man, smoke, drink, do drugs all to excess, and because of your genetics, live a long and vibrant life.

Look at Keith Richards, 78 and still going.
Willie Nelson is 88.

A good friend of mine just turned 71. He’s not retired, and is still working in combat zones.

He doesn’t smoke, drink, or do drugs, but he does eat pretty much whatever he wants to, including desserts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2021, 10:37 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,231,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
Have you witnessed your partner, parents, relatives, peers, etc live to a long age with a poor diet? I'm not talking obesity but people who just have poor eating habits and it never seems to catch up with them? Talking about those who seem to live on canned goods, processed meats, microwavable dishes, take out, sugary foods, fried foods, basically anything that is said to shorten your lifespan.

I'm excluding smokers and alcoholics and focusing on poor food choices. Can genetics sometimes trump a life filled with a bad diet?
Sure, my mom lived to 87 never getting any exercise at all and eating mostly junk food and sweets. When she passed away, it was due to her advanced dementia, and her heart was so strong she went on for nearly three weeks in hospice.

Old 08-25-2021, 11:02 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,393,423 times
Quote:
Have you witnessed your partner, parents, relatives, peers, etc live to a long age with a poor diet? I'm not talking obesity but people who just have poor eating habits and it never seems to catch up with them? Talking about those who seem to live on canned goods, processed meats, microwavable dishes, take out, sugary foods, fried foods, basically anything that is said to shorten your lifespan.

I'm excluding smokers and alcoholics and focusing on poor food choices. Can genetics sometimes trump a life filled with a bad diet?
You're actually asking more than one question.

First - Is it possible to eat processed foods and live a long life? Certainly, especially if in eating such foods you don't become obese. This is more a question of the "safety" of these foods, apart from whether you are using them in a way that makes you obese and in so doing impacts other body systems related to heart and metabolic disease.

Second - Can you be obese and live long? A few people do, many do not. What do you consider a "long" life? 65? 75? 85?

Obviously we've all seen obese people over the age of 65 and 75 but the older you get the less common - doesn't mean it's impossible But - you don't know if genetics will "save" you until it's too late. Best to try to control what you can with yeah, a good diet.

Old 08-25-2021, 11:02 AM

13,715 posts, read 12,453,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
My mother fed my family a depression-era diet -- the only kind she knew -- but luckily, there was always the minimum. A little meat, fresh fruits/vegs only in season, three trips a day to the dinner table for home-coooked meals with no additives, no junk food, that was it. Nobody died before 90.
One thing I notice about the "depression-era" diet...I think people ascribe it a certain amount of false qualities.

Because there were very real concerns with long term preservation of food, they often had a lot of salt, a lot of sugar, or both.

Old 08-25-2021, 11:09 AM

21,895 posts, read 12,998,839 times
"Junk food" has more nutrition than it's given credit for by the Whole Foods cult. I, for one, am still going strong; I'm healthier and stronger than most people my age.

Old 08-25-2021, 11:21 AM

19,827 posts, read 9,387,493 times
Oh, absolutely.

My grandmother and her husband both lived to the age of 92, and my grandmother was German/Swiss/French who fully subscribed to the Julia Child way of cooking -- she probably used two pounds of butter a week, and why use milk when you can use cream? Plus plenty of German sausages and cheese, etc. And she averaged being about 20-30 pounds overweight for most of her adult life and the only exercise she got was some housework -- and she got a part-time housekeeper for that once she turned about 75 or so.

I think genetics has a LOT to do with how long one lives.

Old 08-25-2021, 12:54 PM

258 posts, read 136,224 times
Consider the majority of people you see who are 70+. Are they more likely to be rail thin or are they more likely to be obese?

That should answer your question.

And among people who are 80+...do you ever notice ANY who are obese?

That should solidify your answer.

Old 08-25-2021, 12:55 PM

15,642 posts, read 26,275,966 times
Quote:

Sure. Anything is possible. I’ve known lifelong 2-3 pack a day smokers live into their 90’s. My great great grandmother smoked a pipe, and died at 94. Her daughters died in their 20’s. TB.

My in laws were in their mid 80’s when they left the planet. They ate 50/50 good/bad. Their son, my husband, died at 59. Glioblastoma brain cancer. By the way? The man lived on grocery store cookies and lunch meat. Getting him to eat a veggie was almost impossible. I’d make enough for me, split with him, and get them back.

Do I think his diet gave him a GBM? No. Luck of the draw. Although, it interesting my ex brother in law died from a GBM. No relation to husband.

Old 08-25-2021, 12:58 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,587,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post

"Junk food" has more nutrition than it's given credit for by the Whole Foods cult.
Where do you get this? just curious how you arrived at this idea, and if you have any research to back it up?
not criticizing, just asking.

Old 08-25-2021, 01:39 PM

258 posts, read 136,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Where do you get this? just curious how you arrived at this idea, and if you have any research to back it up?
not criticizing, just asking.
Sorry, but anything that comes in a box or a wrapper isn't really food.

Cereal? Joke. It's mostly bread crumbs coalesced together with corn syrup as the glue.

Any kind of sauces/condiments. Look at the top five ingredients, which are typically water, sugar, corn syrup and perhaps vinegar and something else like tomato puree. Blech. Artificial colors/flavorings typically make up the rest, as well as chemical preservatives.

Frozen dinners? Oh gosh. Just flip them over and look at the ingredients and calorie count. Atrocious.

Juices? All sugar.

Milk? All the vaccines and hormones that go into those cows also make their way into your body. Man-boobs are a visible symptom of this. Switch to something else.

And why do grocery stores have two entire aisles devoted to junk food? If you think about most grocery stores having about 12-14 aisles, you can literally shop in just 2 or 3 for almost anything you need. The rest is basically nutrition-less garbage, typically found in the middle. Shop the ends if you want to eat well.

If you want proof that you are what you eat, just observe what obese people are putting into their carts. Typically I see bags of chips, boxes upon boxes of cookies/doughnuts/sugarbuns/etc., and multiple bottles of sodas. If the cart is overflowing with boxes it's usually an obese person.

Meanwhile healthy people are pushing around carts that never seem to be more than 1/20th full, and usually you'll see fruits, veggies, some meats, and maybe (though not always) a loaf of bread and some miscellaneous items like a block of cheese or butter which if you shop around aren't actually bad for you.

TLDR/Moral of the story: just skip the middle aisles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement