Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2021, 10:20 PM

207 posts, read 118,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth Emerson View Post
I am frequently falling ill and when I consulted the doctor he told me that I have to change my diet plans. I searched for many diet plans but couldn't find the proper one can anyone suggest a good diet plan to improve health.
Anything specific like high cholesterol or blood pressure?

I personally have had good luck with weight watchers. WW now.
With any eating plan it is dependent on your choices but WW does steer you towards healthy eating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2021, 03:20 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Just look at all these very old people they find in Russia living on vodka and whale blubber as their secret to long lives

Old 08-25-2021, 03:22 AM

101 posts, read 97,844 times
Default genetics always trumps environment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
Have you witnessed your partner, parents, relatives, peers, etc live to a long age with a poor diet? I'm not talking obesity but people who just have poor eating habits and it never seems to catch up with them? Talking about those who seem to live on canned goods, processed meats, microwavable dishes, take out, sugary foods, fried foods, basically anything that is said to shorten your lifespan.

I'm excluding smokers and alcoholics and focusing on poor food choices. Can genetics sometimes trump a life filled with a bad diet?
Genetics is 80% of it. Witness 2 pack a day smokers that live into their 80;s.

Old 08-25-2021, 03:30 AM

879 posts, read 763,902 times
My mother’s side of the family - my grandmother lived to be 99, and all her sisters lived well into their 90’s. They ate fresh veggies cooked in fatback or bacon grease, fried pork chops, red meat all the time and cooked with every cream of type soup there was. They made and ate fried pies, fudge, and all sort of cakes and pies. My mother will be 89 in December. She also eats many processed foods and has been in good health until just recently. She had a mild stroke last October but has recovered quite well.

Old 08-25-2021, 04:46 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,593,936 times
Depends, whether you mean Actively bad diet, or Passively bad.

A human can live a long and healthy life with half of the American typical nutritional intake -- we get the vitamins and minerals we need, even from junk food. Billions in the world do.

What shortens life is all the toxic components in diets -- fats, salt, sugars -- that people fill up on at (and between) mealtimes, leaving no room for good nutrients that are left on the table.

My mother fed my family a depression-era diet -- the only kind she knew -- but luckily, there was always the minimum. A little meat, fresh fruits/vegs only in season, three trips a day to the dinner table for home-coooked meals with no additives, no junk food, that was it. Nobody died before 90.

Old 08-25-2021, 08:07 AM

3,249 posts, read 1,739,106 times
Part of living a long life is eating in moderation, genetics, regular checks up with your doctor and a willingness to accept modern medicine all play pretty much equal parts in longevity.

Old 08-25-2021, 08:10 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times
Yes, it is, but most don't get away w/ it. End up w chronic disease, earlier than they would have.

My FIL ate TV dinners, white bread, donuts, etc. his whole life I think. Also, add in fast food, but passed at almost 90. Drank moderately when younger. He was calm as a cucumber though. Not much bothered him, never got much involved w/ other people (hmm)or their troubles, walked a lot all through his life, too.

We had a resident where I worked, 94. I used to take pictures of her junk food in the kitchen to show my husband and we would laugh. Stacks of donuts, cookies, white bread, etc. Lived to be 99 actually. She was a bit overweight, loved to cook big Southern meals. Another cool customer, seldom got ruffled.

I worked w/ elders, many over 90. Born in a time when processed food was minimal and more "real" foods available. Maybe a factor? Not many too much overweight, some skinny. Most somewhat active, even at adv. age.

Last edited by Nanny Goat; 08-25-2021 at 08:50 AM..

Old 08-25-2021, 08:12 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,188,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
oh yes. My mom lived to 92 and she ate whatever she wanted. But she didn't drink or smoke.

And my aunt by marriage also ate whatever. She would have Mexican pastries and coffee for breakfast. Her daughter would bring her fast food or tacos for lunch or dinner. She passed last year at 95. Also did not drink or smoke.
My mom, too, except she had a glass or two of wine for dinner every night. Died at 99 years, 9mo of age.

Old 08-25-2021, 08:17 AM

8,755 posts, read 5,042,001 times
Both of my parents had good chloesterol and BP. Mom loved potato chips candy, cake. Dad loved pork rinds, spam, lard, eggs, bacon, fatty meats. Me, I have high chloesterol, high BP, on meds for both. I eat healthy...

Old 08-25-2021, 09:01 AM

16 posts, read 23,131 times
There is misinformation about what is healthy and not - for example, what causes high cholesterol. At what level is it too high and so on. Genetics and one's beliefs system also play important roles in overall health.

The mind is tricky - if I go thru life focused on some achievement and am fulfilled - I can be so grateful and feeling so abundant that my beliefs cause me to act and react to challenging life circumstances in a more positive way. And I affect those around me and spread positivity and whatever. Round and round my life goes with that focus. In this mentality I may not really ever think about the importance of food and nutrients. My body feels hunger and I eat instead of snack all day on chips and donuts to destress.

If I go thru life in fear and worried and not trusting - that is my focus - always on the lookout / aware of - and that is what I will notice the most and unconsciously moved towards that. Say I'm afraid of cancer or illness so I workout and eat well all the time. The true / real focus isn't on health - it's on illness. Everything I do has to do about avoiding ILLNESS. I will notice illness more often than notice and be grateful I am so healthy.

So whatever you believe about food and health - plus your genetics to a small extent [science has already proven genes get turned on or off depending on our environmental triggers] - and why you're eating what you eat - it may or may not matter.

There is no easy answer. Our bodies, minds and hearts all work together and no two bodies / minds / hearts are the same. What eating routine works for me certainly should not just also work for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement