Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2021, 12:27 PM

13,664 posts, read 9,733,801 times

Advertisements

It's less about management or power over others, be it "hard power" or "soft power". It's more about creative and archivally-significant contributions, that are only possible in an institutional setting.

The example that impresses me, is that of a senior physicist, leading a team that's working on a fusion-reactor... one of those giant toroidal magnetic-confinement machines. It's a project that's in the tens of billions of dollars, maybe involving thousands of people and decades of planning. It's thrilling, intellectually intense and has the literal potential to change the world. But it's also grindingly bureaucratic, stressful and beset with all sorts of issues of regulation, struggle to garner funds (instead of doing the actual research!), dealing with headstrong and abrasive personalities, and just burning-out (no pun intended).

Eventually one gets sufficiently aged as to slow down, and sufficiently senior as to no longer be involved in hands-on research. The struggle feels both too draining and too artificial... so, one seriously contemplates retirement. But then obtrude the various opposing factions of thought, the urge to quit and the inevitable regret.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2021, 01:37 PM

16,110 posts, read 10,775,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
.... As such they got their sense of worth and purpose from what they did,

For myself, I am the complete opposite as my life was never defined by my jobs. I can look back and be happy that I did a lot of meaningful work that impacted a lot of lives for the better. But, my sense of self worth was never tied to my career.
I think we all need to have a self-perception that our work life is productive and measurable in some fashion. Retirement, unless it it structured in some way or there is a certain level of responsibility, is hard to measure in the old familiar ways. That might be why the transition is difficult for some. I worked in state and local government for 37 years in a variety of capacities -- about seven different roles including a Governor's appointee and a Department head assistant, division director, a welfare caseworker, grant writer, and city planner -- that is a broad scope of work for one career. There were times where my self-perception was being "in but not of" a certain organization. Kind of a hired gun. Working in prison systems can mess you up if you don't keep some of that perspective. I think that having a variety of roles with different measures of productivity helped with my transition although it still took longer than I had imagined. After 20 years of retirement, I am the vice president of a non-profit foundation so I still have some of that drive left over from my working days but, at 72, it is low key and fading.

Old 06-15-2021, 01:47 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,119,091 times
I think the whole article is just a piece of clickbait. Sure it sounds feasible that big time CEOs are egocentric like having others follow their orders so when retirement comes they do not like it.

Note there is not a shred of evidence presented to document this idea. Instead it is well documented that top CEOs have been retiring earlier and earlier. Best guess is they have the money and don't want the stress. The mean retirement age for top CEOs has dropped over the past couple of years from 62 down to 59.

I personally only know one top CEO. I worked many layers down from him but did attend several meetings where he was present and also have an opportunity for a couple of dinners with him and a small group. He was a nice guy, modest without a big ego. I can easily see him retiring early and enjoying it. I also know quite a few successful upper level managers who have retired successfully. One continues to exercise his ego and leadership by running a club of fellow fishing fly tiers.

Old 06-15-2021, 02:14 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,754 posts, read 58,128,451 times
A very good role for ex- managers / CEO's to transition to in retirement is owning franchises (that are already well managed).

These people are, in fact, the largest purchasers of franchises, and it is usually a good fit. Can be done in 'retirement'. (and remain retired)... passive investor with decision making authority.

Old 06-16-2021, 05:26 AM

11,552 posts, read 6,041,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Over the years, I've noticed that many managers, not all, and maybe not even plurality, love being managers not to develop the company or the staff, but simply to control people. They like being able to micromanage and having the power to basically end someone's financial well-being at their own whim.
Power is a addicting. There aren't many who can shed that addiction. A big reason George Washington is still my favorite president is that he anxiously gave up the most powerful position in America without hesitation. He didn't want it. I've done it myself.

Then there is the old saying "power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely".

It is not easy to handle power. It is a corrupting force. Most of us normal Joes would probably succumb. I have been in a lot of small team settings where one of my colleauges became a petty tyrant the moment they were assigned to be a Team Leader.

Old 06-16-2021, 05:27 AM

1,532 posts, read 2,424,492 times
I am a retired executive who now works for one of the top drug and alcohol rehabs in the country. I bring in patients run them through admissions and get them settled. One of our largest patient pools are retired executives a group that I handle. Many had a few drinks after work and now with too much time on their hands it starts at 3pm, then noon.

Our success rate with these patients is very high. We encourage them to fill their day and use their pre retirement talents to better the world. Once redirected they do very well.

Just a bump in the road.

Old 06-16-2021, 05:32 AM

4,281 posts, read 5,943,664 times
Default No Admin help?

At both large corporations where I worked, I was shocked at the number of Executives who could not use e-mail!

They had their Admins print off all emails, the Execs would hand write a response, and the Admins would then type the response as an email and send the message!

Old 06-16-2021, 07:34 AM

11,762 posts, read 14,667,164 times
A friend of mine told me the advice she got about retiring. She said that you need to be able to answer three questions.

1. Is your identity tied up in your work?

2. Do you know what you're going to do with your time after you retire?

3. Do you have enough money to retire?

Until you can answer these questions satisfactorily you should not retire.

Old 06-16-2021, 08:20 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,978,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
At both large corporations where I worked, I was shocked at the number of Executives who could not use e-mail!

They had their Admins print off all emails, the Execs would hand write a response, and the Admins would then type the response as an email and send the message!
I had a temp who did that. She's an older lady. I asked her if she needed whiteout in case she mistyped on the computer. She did get that joke.

Old 06-16-2021, 08:00 PM

1,543 posts, read 1,536,974 times
I had an executive that has been announcing his retirement for a long time. I only worked at this place for 7 years, but he told me my first month on the job he had only five years left.

A month before I resigned my position, he told me he had only two years to work. I left the company two months ago. He has no family, he is divorced, and he does not have any friends outside of work. Today, he is 63 years old. He makes six figures, has a great retirement portfolio, but he can’t let the job go. He would have nothing to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement