Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2021, 12:43 PM

332 posts, read 286,654 times

Advertisements

...unrelated: what are reputation points?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2021, 01:00 PM

9,321 posts, read 16,658,483 times
As others have stated, it sounds like you are lonely. I know how you feel, after I lost my spouse, I felt totally adrift. After completing downsizing for a few months, I joined the senior center and volunteered, the community connections where I volunteer to drive people to doctor appointments, keep them company, take them to the grocery store, I continued volunteering with my therapy dog at schools and hospitals, and volunteer through several other organizations. Because of these activities I have made friends and feel a lot less adrift.

Old 06-13-2021, 01:57 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,577,773 times
A lot of seniors have trouble finding connection and friendships. It's can be one of the primary problems for seniors, depending on age, location, offerings locally, transportation, health.

The people who have found personal connections and friendships do post at times. Those who have not found connections and friendships or have trouble often or sometimes do not post.

Last edited by matisse12; 06-13-2021 at 02:35 PM..

Old 06-13-2021, 02:14 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,144,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiemur View Post
Thank you so much for all of your great ideas! I know there have been other threads like this (how long will it take to adjust to retirement) and I appreciate your fresh perspectives. I appreciate the websites listed, especially the 'sisters on the fly' -fun!

I've applied for a few part time jobs; one in particular with LTC, might be a good fit. I know myself enough, to realize now, that I am happier with some type of schedule/structure; while keeping my options open. I feel so fortunate to have this 'first world problem'. I'm going to move forward with optimism, knowing that connections are out there, everywhere, to be made. I just need to take the initiative.
Best wishes and good luck!

Old 06-13-2021, 03:27 PM

404 posts, read 380,713 times
I have the same issues. Kids are out of the house now. I no longer have my home-based business. Hubby is still working (until Oct. 31).

I can find things to do now and then but there just isn't a lot to do around here. I'm somewhat introverted and don't make friends easily (plus this town just isn't very friendly.) My plan is to move to a 55+ community in a few years. I know they are not for everyone, but having lots of activities available to me every day is perfect. I have no trouble participating in group activities. I guess I have difficulty making my own fun so I need the fun to be made for me.

Old 06-13-2021, 03:40 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,239,181 times
Smile Sounds like me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwnmo View Post
I have the same issues. Kids are out of the house now. I no longer have my home-based business. Hubby is still working (until Oct. 31).

I can find things to do now and then but there just isn't a lot to do around here. I'm somewhat introverted and don't make friends easily (plus this town just isn't very friendly.) My plan is to move to a 55+ community in a few years. I know they are not for everyone, but having lots of activities available to me every day is perfect. I have no trouble participating in group activities. I guess I have difficulty making my own fun so I need the fun to be made for me.
Last sentence sounds like me.

I like the idea for the OP of doing some PT for those over 50.

I know I need that. I was working out at a facility which is now still closed but would love someone to come to me.

Old 06-13-2021, 04:07 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,449,628 times
My sister was a public health nursing supervisor who retired a couple of years ago. She was more than ready to leave her job.

But she missed the interaction and comradery. So she volunteers with vaccination clinics (COVID) and childhood vaccine clinics around the city.

Public health is under fire right now and they could use all the help anyone can give……

Thank you for YOUR service…. I have many nurses in my life and they are golden.

Old 06-13-2021, 05:19 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,933,464 times
I retired last year. My primary plans in retirement were to:

- Volunteer as a Docent at a living history museum.
- Assemble a vintage open wheel Race Car.

I am doing both. I worked a 4-hr shift at the Museum earlier today. I will be escaping to my Play House tomorrow to install a new bottom skin on the chassis prior to installing the renovated suspension.

In my work life I was an extreme introvert for the first third of my career, until I discovered that I actually enjoy public speaking. And as a Construction Manager I had no prior experience assembling an old car from boxes containing only half the needed parts.

Retirement can be a liberating time of personal growth

Old 06-13-2021, 06:46 PM

9,439 posts, read 5,204,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiemur View Post
......Long story, short; I retired in March, the timing kind of unplanned. I had an idea of what I'd like to do, in Retirement. Recently, I had been able to work PT (I'm a Nurse) giving Covid vaccines. I really enjoyed the human interaction, and the feeling of being useful. I do yoga, hike, read, see friends, volunteer, but it's so random. I'm just feeling lost and alone. Sorry for the 'downer' post. I wonder how you adapted? Thanks
It was suggested to me that I actually make a schedule for when I retired. Daily...what I will do at what time and where, etc. I never did that but now that I've been retired for a year, I'm thinking about it. COVID obviously put a damper on going OUT and doing things.....but I think I might volunteer somewhere and take a class as well. so that would provide a bir more structure. Not that I don't have enough to do, but I think I'm getting lazy LOL

Old 06-13-2021, 06:58 PM

16,074 posts, read 10,732,474 times
It takes time to transition from work. March to June isn't very long. It took me longer. Ninety days into retirement I found PT work and that helped. I enjoyed the work and social connection for several years.

I retired young, 20 years ago, and a single survivor (widower) for fourteen years. There have been some tough times. Volunteer work helped after my wife died and I joined a couple social groups -- one walking club and a bocce club. Seven years ago, I moved 1000 miles, made new friends, joined another bocce club, and volunteered at a foundation (and now VP) and enjoy my retirement in my new location. We might feel adrift at times but people are waiting to meet you so keep going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement