Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2021, 09:57 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,587,748 times

Advertisements

OP, treat retirement as the gift it is both to yourself and the community.

I was able to retire 7 years early and bought a small ranch. I love it. I'm 10 miles from the nearest town of 232. I now have time to work my ranch, I blacksmith, nothing better than getting up just before dawn, firing up the forge and having a cup of coffee while watching the sun rise over the mountains as the forge heats.

There were 5 head of Pronghorn Antelope just behind my shop this morning and one of them had a new fawn.

There was an opportunity to take a part time job as curator of a small local museum. My dream job I never could have taken without being retired since it doesn't pay enough to live on, but I've always loved history, now I spend 3 days a week telling people about the local area, prepping artifacts and creating displays, I have the best of both worlds. I'm retired, and doing the work I love in the place I'm happiest in the world.

What more could a person ask?

Retirement is what you make of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2021, 09:58 AM

11,141 posts, read 9,773,353 times
OP,
You might want to look into volunteering for Remote Area Medical (RAM) clinics. This non-profit organization holds pop-up clinics around the country in areas of underserved, or uninsured patients who receive exams and care. It could be very rewarding, and you can get some US travel in at the same time.

Here's their website: https://www.ramusa.org/

Old 06-13-2021, 10:22 AM

6,310 posts, read 4,204,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
It's also possible to be happy in retirement with absolutely no schedule and no routine.....and even no structure.

I've been very happy in retirement with no schedule and no routine and no structure for 11 years.

So if someone does not feel like having a schedule and routine after working 30 or 35 or 40 years in a workplace (or however many years) it's very possible to be happy without them.

I agree that connection can be important. I was watching 'Dream of Italy' on PBS last night and Italian culture is set up for easier connections than in many places in the U.S.
Yes! Although it's interesting that a routine of sorts has developed over time. However we are not chained to it so it's a matter of doing what we want, when we want and when we are in the mood. It also depends on the weather It's pretty extreme here in Arizona so the rhythm of our lives adjust to it.

Old 06-13-2021, 10:41 AM

6,139 posts, read 3,358,943 times
How did I adapt in retirement? I adapted by ending my retirement and going back to work.

Adrift is a great way to put how I felt. I retired in my late 40’s after a long career in the military. During my career, I was so busy working, I didn’t have a lot of time to spend my money, so I invested it instead. So when it came time for me to hang up the uniform, I didn’t have to work anymore because I had plenty of money to last me the rest of my life.

But what I didn’t plan on was that I didn’t like not having a job. So I started applying for all kinds of defense contractor jobs, and eventually found the perfect one for me.

So I am doing basically the same job I did before, I just don’t wear the uniform anymore. So now I’m in my mid 50’s, still going strong as a contractor. Now, I’m worried about retirement, if I’m honest with myself.

I plan to work well into my 70’s because I don’t like not having a job.

I’m sure people look at me like I’m crazy, a guy who could easily never work another day in his life, and live quite comfortably, but still getting up every morning and bringing my “A” game to accomplish the mission and to teach these young troops how to be better airmen.

But when someone tells me they are retired and do nothing, I think that’s kind of crazy.

Old 06-13-2021, 10:59 AM

18,735 posts, read 33,410,912 times
My former sorta-fiance left the Marines as a Lt.Col. at age 42 or so. He wanted a job with less stress.

So he became a police officer and retired for good around 62, had a ton of money and bought a huge house and got remarried (this time, he was genuinely divorced).

I shudder to think if we'd continued. Am ever glad he dumped my by overnight Fed Ex after all the lies.

Old 06-13-2021, 11:42 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,964,408 times
I don't know why so many are telling a new retiree to find part time work or volunteering in the field s/he just retired from. IMO retiring is the time in life that one does not have to work!

By all means find a activities that interest you, but first give yourself a chance to experience being retired. It's a whole other world when you don't have to do things on someone else's schedule.

One of the first things I did was to give myself a few months to determine what sleep/wake schedule was right for me. Now that I don't have to operate on someone else's schedule, I tend to stay up late and sleep a bit later in the morning like I have wanted to do my entire life.

Best advice I can say is give it time. Be lazy for awhile... it's ok to do that. Give your mind and body a rest from the ratrace of the working years. After awhile, you will either fall into a schedule that works for you or you will be more unstructured.

Old 06-13-2021, 11:46 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,882,766 times
^ I agree completely! You are not required to produce for the collective, you did your time. Relax, watch cartoons, go 3 days without showering or getting out of your sweats. Dress up in your best zoot suit and hit the swing club. Play golf or go fishing on a Monday morning. Spend a day reading a book. So many choices.

Do what you want when you want. There's time now, time enough at last.

Old 06-13-2021, 11:52 AM

899 posts, read 673,007 times
OP, I wonder if there's any way you could mentor a newly graduated nurse.

We're not retired yet, but we hope to RV around the country. My wife is wondering how she'll keep busy because she likes to garden and feather the nest, neither of which are doable with RVs.

She may do some part-time work from the road. She's in the business field and found this but hasn't looked into it yet.

https://www.upwork.com/

Not sure if there's an equivalent in the medical field.

OP, because you're a nurse the odds are that you're female (sorry if I jumped to the wrong conclusion). If the travel lifestyle appeals to you (but like many females you wouldn't travel alone), you might consider:

https://www.sistersonthefly.com/

I don't think you have to follow them all over the country but if they're passing through your area you might check them out.

Old 06-13-2021, 12:14 PM

2,866 posts, read 1,811,707 times
Breathe ! Agree with Posters to relax, adjust to this part of your new journey.

Suggestion: Sit quietly, possibly write what you enjoyed about nursing, things you are Not going to miss.

Think of grief myself, one journey is complete, now a new one begins, in Your time. Think what is best for you. To me, rushing from me activity to another, too much to soon. Ease into your journey, there's no rush.

For me, when my husband died, someone said there is no time. After 41years, it did take time to adjust, process my new journey.

Thank you for your Thread; Very caring Posters on City-Data.

Old 06-13-2021, 12:15 PM

332 posts, read 287,252 times
Thank you so much for all of your great ideas! I know there have been other threads like this (how long will it take to adjust to retirement) and I appreciate your fresh perspectives. I appreciate the websites listed, especially the 'sisters on the fly' -fun!

I've applied for a few part time jobs; one in particular with LTC, might be a good fit. I know myself enough, to realize now, that I am happier with some type of schedule/structure; while keeping my options open. I feel so fortunate to have this 'first world problem'. I'm going to move forward with optimism, knowing that connections are out there, everywhere, to be made. I just need to take the initiative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement