Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2021, 11:38 AM
JRR

8,237 posts, read 5,736,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I buy the pre shredded bags of coleslaw, they have different varieties, some are broccoli stem, some are 50% carrots, & some are the normal cabbage mix. I like them all, & it's fun to try different dressings, plus they are cheap around a buck a bag. I used to chop my own cabbage, but now it's just easier to buy the bags. Probably just as cheap too.
Broccoli slaw actually is on our menu tonight. I make my own dressing and we are having brats in a bun with lots of sautéed onions along with the slaw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2021, 11:44 AM

12,166 posts, read 8,552,809 times
Our local HyVee makes a good potato salad that we buy now and then. They also prepare a decent Cobb salad for under five dollars that makes a fresh summer meal.

Deli meats - corned beef and pastrami. I actually made my own corned beef years ago. But with only two people it's impractical.

When the kids were teens it helped to keep a few of those stuffed chicken breasts and cheap frozen burritos around.

To my husband it makes no difference but over time my taste buds have gotten sensitive to the added chemicals in prepackaged food and they don't taste good to me.

I'm not picky about no chemicals. Occasional premade isn't probably going to do much harm. But I just want to enjoy the flavor of what I'm eating so a lot of prepared stuff is out for that reason.

I'm in such a habit of cost consciousness that I rarely find it practical to buy a "kit" of anything that's easy to make when I can buy separate ingredients, freeze portions and enjoy the taste of homemade.

I'm guessing our next shift to prepared meals will be "Meals on Wheels" a couple of times a week and I'll postpone that as long as possible.

Old 06-12-2021, 12:07 PM

17,612 posts, read 16,769,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Our local HyVee makes a good potato salad that we buy now and then. They also prepare a decent Cobb salad for under five dollars that makes a fresh summer meal.

To my husband it makes no difference but over time my taste buds have gotten sensitive to the added chemicals in prepackaged food and they don't taste good to me.

I'm not picky about no chemicals. Occasional premade isn't probably going to do much harm. But I just want to enjoy the flavor of what I'm eating so a lot of prepared stuff is out for that reason.
If you are ever in a time crunch and want something pre made try Kevin's brand of prepacked meals that you just heat and serve. They seriously taste homemade. No chemical taste whatsoever in my opinion.

Every now and then I get them on a buy one, get one free special at the grocery store.

Old 06-12-2021, 12:09 PM

12,166 posts, read 8,552,809 times
I forgot to add that our local Quick Stop chain has fresh fried chicken for sale now. Honest to goodness it's the best fried chicken I've eaten since my mother's.

Never thought I'd buy fried chicken from a filling station. I'm waiting for the Texas Chainsaw guys to come jumping up from behind the counter. Heh.

It's odd but it's that good.

Old 06-12-2021, 12:15 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,289,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I buy the pre shredded bags of coleslaw, they have different varieties, some are broccoli stem, some are 50% carrots, & some are the normal cabbage mix. I like them all, & it's fun to try different dressings, plus they are cheap around a buck a bag. I used to chop my own cabbage, but now it's just easier to buy the bags. Probably just as cheap too.
I agree this is a great product. I’ve used it only in cooked recipes but I’ll try it as a salad.
Baked potatoes in the microwave are easy and if you stuff with veg and some cheese, it’s fillings and healthy.
Boca burgers are fine in a pinch and there is plenty of variety.
Now that it getting hot out, I’m doing a lot more yogurt smoothies with frozen fruit, ice and a juice in the blender for lunch.

Old 06-12-2021, 12:35 PM

18,448 posts, read 15,909,598 times
Quote:
So...which foods did you USED TO make from scratch that you NOW buy "ready to eat"..or "semi ready"???
How strange.

Convenience foods took off in the 1950s, so I don't know why this question is being posed in 2021, when the average American diet is mostly convenience ready-to-eat foods and has been for eons.

Old 06-12-2021, 12:54 PM

7,898 posts, read 7,140,575 times
Unfortunately I have had to give up most convenience foods. I have high BP and the amount of salt in prepared foods is staggering. Since I do fairly well keeping the salt content down for everyday eating, I can barely stand to eat most restaurant meals. Again, the amount of added salt is typically massive.

Old 06-12-2021, 12:59 PM

131,400 posts, read 12,298,153 times
Oh in addition to the pre shredded coleslaw I also now buy the pre peeled garlic. years ago, we'd sit at the kitchen table & peel a few heads of garlic.

I mostly cook from scratch, but I do sometimes liek to buy things premade, such as chicken kievs, I can't see myself making that from scratch.

Old 06-12-2021, 01:10 PM

18,448 posts, read 15,909,598 times
Anyone who shops the aisles of a grocery store is buying convenience foods. Canned foods are all prepped. Heat 'n Serve or not even heat.

How many people grow their own grain? Make their own bread every time? Grow their own animals for butchering? Grow all their vegetables and fruit? Milk cows for their dairy? Hunt and process their own turkeys for Thanksgiving?

We are a society of convenience, whether that's been thought about or not. Pre-made, ready-to-eat has existed for well over 50 years.

[mod cut - personal attack]

Last edited by VTsnowbird; 06-12-2021 at 05:33 PM..

Old 06-12-2021, 01:16 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,847 posts, read 58,440,876 times
Ice Cream!, Of course (Tho I make a lot of home-made as well).
Making fresh Strawberry IC tomorrow. Raspberries should be ripe by next week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement