Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2021, 11:27 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,395,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Ha ha - yes, that's why I put the comma in - but I also do have "new age" problems - lol.

I sure wish I could adopt your stance outlined in the second paragraph! How were you able to convince your nervous system not to react negatively to morons or time wasted?

The time wasted thing seems to be key to my annoyance - I had forgotten to mention that!

I'm old, so "time's a wastin'" - I don't HAVE time to waste - I have an agenda - I need to get things done and the world refuses to cooperate with me! That sounds so ridiculous and childish, but it is how I feel.

I think it helps a lot if you write stuff down in detail, in some sort of a log. First, that way you won't forget some important detail or deadline related to it. Second, I find that writing it down exports it out of my mind - I simply don't need to think about it moment-to-moment, and I can defer everything about it (including being annoyed about it) to some future date. Third, after you come to expect that even a simple problem will take a ridiculous eternity to get resolved, it is somehow easier not to get annoyed (particularly because most things DO get resolved eventually).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2021, 11:29 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,671,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Oh, I feel for you, OP!!!!

I have been on hold for 3 DAYS now, waiting for those Priceline idiots to "call me back". I would have waited on hold for an hour or more, but NO, they have to "call you back". The one time they did, it got immediately disconnected. My phone comes through my laptop so I have to sit here, then get DH to sit here, if I have to even go to the bathroom!!!!!!!

The LAW is that you get a refund, no questions asked, for airline- canceled flights, but somehow, they are fighting us on it.

I have no tolerance anymore either. Because it's a dam pile-up these days. You can't get through to anyone. We were on hold for Barclay's credit card for THREE HOURS (who also denied the refund).

VRBO (Vacation Rental by Owner) is sending me to an early grave with their theft of over 4 grand.

What are these consumer protection organizations even FOR? They don't do squat, provide no help. I've written to every single one and the FTC, BBB, politicians....no one gives a rat's azz.

So to add to Comcast as being against the consumer, let's add:

VRBO, Barclay's, Priceline, Iberian Airlines and probably every other third-party provider (which I will never use again).
I think the world is a bit more broken and I'm not sure why. I've read shipping and supply actually started having issues before the pandemic. Maybe it was that business with tariffs and China.

Mine was Avocado Mattress. I wanted a bed frame and they said "ships in 2-3 days" on the website.. great! However a week later I emailed them and found out it was actually going to be 2-3 weeks (even though the website still says "ships in 2-3 days). When the third week passed and I didn't get an shipping notifications I wanted to cancel my order simply based on the misleading information on the website. When you're paying nearly $3k for something you absolutely expect people to be accountable. They weren't and they didn't care. The customer service used a bunch of emojis in their email. Flowers and smilies and rainbows and avocados... I told them, "look maybe this is a Millennial or Gen Z thing that you are doing, but we're not friends, we're conducting a business transaction and you're failing at it and all the cute-sy emojis don't make up for the misleading information on your website".

Old 05-06-2021, 11:55 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,659,169 times
Inverse relationship, age increases & a tolerance for BS decreases. Have the same thing. Maybe cuz you know, through experience, what the customer service person will say next and you're tired of it. Not sure of the answer either. I try to look at it as an opportunity to be more patient and understanding, like a test. Communicating w/ spectrum TV is one big test, which I've failed repeatedly.

Old 05-06-2021, 11:56 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,654,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Oh, I feel for you, OP!!!!

I have been on hold for 3 DAYS now, waiting for those Priceline idiots to "call me back". I would have waited on hold for an hour or more, but NO, they have to "call you back". The one time they did, it got immediately disconnected. My phone comes through my laptop so I have to sit here, then get DH to sit here, if I have to even go to the bathroom!!!!!!!

The LAW is that you get a refund, no questions asked, for airline- canceled flights, but somehow, they are fighting us on it.

I have no tolerance anymore either. Because it's a dam pile-up these days. You can't get through to anyone. We were on hold for Barclay's credit card for THREE HOURS (who also denied the refund).

VRBO (Vacation Rental by Owner) is sending me to an early grave with their theft of over 4 grand.

What are these consumer protection organizations even FOR? They don't do squat, provide no help. I've written to every single one and the FTC, BBB, politicians....no one gives a rat's azz.

So to add to Comcast as being against the consumer, let's add:

VRBO, Barclay's, Priceline, Iberian Airlines and probably every other third-party provider (which I will never use again).
It's crazy when you imagine people in their houses on the phone, trying not to have fits and die in the process! It's maddening.

I am going to try to start thinking a "cut losses" type of thought (as in why I just caved in and paid) - in the long run, it's better for my health. I hate letting the bastards "win," but I can't seem to tame or control them, so might as well give up.

Old 05-06-2021, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
Inverse relationship, age increases & a tolerance for BS decreases. Have the same thing. Maybe cuz you know, through experience, what the next jerk is gonna say and are tired of it? Not sure of the answer either. Practice patience, try to go easy on yourself and others.
Yes - in youth I was always hopeful, and now, hope is a prescription for disappointment sometimes.

I must do some patience practices - meditation helps - just have to motivate to do it.

Old 05-06-2021, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
I think the world is a bit more broken and I'm not sure why. I've read shipping and supply actually started having issues before the pandemic. Maybe it was that business with tariffs and China.

Mine was Avocado Mattress. I wanted a bed frame and they said "ships in 2-3 days" on the website.. great! However a week later I emailed them and found out it was actually going to be 2-3 weeks (even though the website still says "ships in 2-3 days). When the third week passed and I didn't get an shipping notifications I wanted to cancel my order simply based on the misleading information on the website. When you're paying nearly $3k for something you absolutely expect people to be accountable. They weren't and they didn't care. The customer service used a bunch of emojis in their email. Flowers and smilies and rainbows and avocados... I told them, "look maybe this is a Millennial or Gen Z thing that you are doing, but we're not friends, we're conducting a business transaction and you're failing at it and all the cute-sy emojis don't make up for the misleading information on your website".
That must have been so frustrating.

I hate talking to people now.

Old 05-06-2021, 12:10 PM

6,357 posts, read 7,770,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
How do you handle just regular life and problems as they come up now that you're older and maybe sick of it all?
I have found that embracing the precepts of classical stoicism, as taught by Epictetus, Seneca, and Marcus Aurelius has really helped me tolerate incompetence and stupidity. It's out of my control, so why worry.

Oh wait, maybe that is the Alfred E. Newman philosophy . . . "What, me worry?"

In either case, life these days is calm, serene and peaceful. I save my emotions for the important stuff.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 05-06-2021, 12:31 PM

11,129 posts, read 9,764,095 times
Honestly, I feel you. There've been times when I was so frustrated dealing with people on the phone, when the whole situation just seems so ridiculous, and everything seems to have a catch that makes it impossible to deal with. Generally this happens when I am under some sort of stress from external issues that have nothing to do with the issue at hand. Take a break, give it a rest. Do something you enjoy and give yourself time to let it go. This too shall pass.

I rarely get that frustrated anymore. When I feel myself going there, I stop and let it go until I'm feeling more relaxed and remember that these are just people trying to do their job, just as I am trying to get something accomplished. Take a break, take a few deep breaths, chill out for a day, and try again with a better attitude and a sense of humor about the ridiculous nature of the modern world. I find when I'm in a better mood it comes through over the phone and the customer reps are better able to help me get what I need.

Old 05-06-2021, 12:42 PM

2,104 posts, read 1,933,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
I have found that embracing the precepts of classical stoicism. ... It's out of my control, so why worry.

Oh wait, maybe that is the Alfred E. Newman philosophy . . . "What, me worry?"

.... I save my emotions for the important stuff.
Totally agree.

Here are two of my favorite 'living guides'

"Life is short. Don't Sweat the Small Stuff . . . and It's All Small Stuff".

"It's all a matter of perspective".

The latter reminds me of a line in one of my favorite books by Marianna Gosnell, "Zero 3 Bravo: Solo Across America in a Small Plane". I don't remember the exact wording but something like everything on the ground looks small from a pilot's perspective. I think this is one of the reasons I enjoy flying.

https://www.amazon.com/Zero-Bravo-Ac.../dp/0671892088

Unlike the OP, I become more relaxed and tolerant as I get older. There are a number of studies and articles showing that older people are generally happier and more contented than younger people.

https://time.com/collection/guide-to...ty-depression/

https://www.psychologicalscience.org...e-happier.html

https://www.livescience.com/55870-me...er-adults.html

https://www.verywellmind.com/aging-t...piness-2224100

Last edited by BellaDL; 05-06-2021 at 01:21 PM..

Old 05-06-2021, 12:49 PM

19,806 posts, read 9,367,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llep View Post
Just seeing the word “Comcast” makes me angry and the last time I had to make a long call to them was about 4 years ago. I loathe everything about that company. I wouldn’t use any interaction with them as an indication that you have a tolerance issue.
DITTO.

One of the major unexpected pluses about moving from metro Denver to rural Wisconsin was no more dealing with Comcast or Century Link! Worst service I have ever experienced anywhere!

Although many people here complain about slow Internet, I have had absolutely no problems and dealing with public utilities service people have actually been a pleasure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement