Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2021, 06:03 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,386,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Fly private, not commercial.
Just for giggles...how much is a private flight from NYC to London?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2021, 12:05 PM

7,135 posts, read 12,675,471 times
Yes, I want a smaller house with less maintenance and more storage...but as we have the world's best neighbors, it would be hard to move...

Old 04-12-2021, 01:15 PM

2,104 posts, read 1,934,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Just for giggles...how much is a private flight from NYC to London?
https://www.paramountbusinessjets.co...t-charter.html

One way: 64,500 to 270,000 USD
Round trip: 104,400 to 345,000 USD

About 15 years ago, we had a pilot friend who made private flight arrangement for celebrities. He told us about just making one for a famous conductor from Europe to one of the big city in the East Coast for over $100K.

Maybe R.E. can tell us directly how much that he has been paying for his private flights. He may own his own jet with his own pilot(s). I personally know one high-tech entrepreneur who does that. Our next-hangar-owner friend in NY was the personal pilot for Paul Newman for many years.

Last edited by BellaDL; 04-12-2021 at 01:30 PM..

Old 04-12-2021, 01:36 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,287,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
https://www.paramountbusinessjets.co...t-charter.html

One way: 64,500 to 270,000 USD
Round trip: 104,400 to 345,000 USD

About 15 years ago, we had a pilot friend who made private flight arrangement for celebrities. He told us about just making one for a famous conductor from Europe to one of the big city in the East Coast for over $100K.

Maybe R.E. can tell us directly how much that he has been paying for his private flights. He may own his own jet with his own pilot(s). I personally know one high-tech entrepreneur who does that. Our next-hangar-owner friend in NY was the personal pilot for Paul Newman for many years.

Sure, I have that amount just lying around. No problem. Doesn't everyone?

Cat

Old 04-12-2021, 03:24 PM

1,765 posts, read 4,350,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
"Since retiring" I'm guessing.

We don't need to go out to eat as much. We are staying much closer to home than before retirement unless a once-a-year trip comes up but that's tabled for now.

I "want" all my former activities, but finding out I don't actually "need" them. Many activities change along with our bodies, unfortunately.

Reminds me of Rolling Stones: "You don't always get what you waaa-ant...."

Sorry, but this is one of my favorite songs. It's "you CAN'T always get what you waaa-ant..."

Old 04-12-2021, 03:45 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,730,962 times
I want to travel more than anything. I always have. The only things that have changed are. 1. I don't want to experience COVID-19, and 2. my country and all the countries in Europe I want to visit are not allowing vacation travel. Maybe this will change by Fall of 2021?

Old 04-12-2021, 05:47 PM

35,083 posts, read 31,331,023 times
COVID related...

I did the extreme precautions thing last year from March until about Memorial Day. I still did solo hiking, Blue Ridge Parkway drives, etc., but kept up all the recommended practices.

I started dining out more regularly after Memorial Day, though I did go to a few places once they could legally reopen last April. Other than masking/distancing and telecommuting, my lifestyle hasn't changed much.

Old 04-13-2021, 03:06 AM

24,646 posts, read 9,472,982 times
I don't need a big house or multiple cars. I just need one small place to store my crap, and a passport to travel. the older you get, the more you realize it's not about more stuff, it's about more experiences.

Old 04-13-2021, 03:40 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,138,005 times
The pandemic hasn't changed my wants/needs at all.
Getting older in general has changed my outlook on things. And I've just moved on from some of the things I've done.

I'm single. No kids. Lots of great daily/friends relationships.

For example, in my 40s I bought a SFH, was into decorating, remodeling (it was the second house I'd had remodeled), gardening, etc. My lawn had to be the best on the block. I had all these places I just knew I'd travel to one day.

Well, now I'm 60. Have lost both parents and other older relatives close to me. Don't want to work anymore. And retirement -- and staying employed for 21 more months to get there -- is the main thing on my mind.

I'm in my third home -- which I also had remodeled -- and don't give a hoot about decor, remodeling or gardening. As a matter of fact I 'm getting bid to get rid of all of my grass. If I garden it will be in pots.

So for a lot of my interests it's a case of been there, done that. Just no more interest in those things.
As for travel...well that experience is not what it used to be. Even before Covid, I had no interest in being squeezed in an airplane seat like a sardine. Love the being there (wherever it might be), hate the getting there. Air travel is not that enjoyable.

And at this stage of my life I want as few inconvenices as possible. I want as low a stress life as I can get. And that means no work, and my time being my own.

So those are the reasons my outlook and interests -- wants/needs if you will -- have changed. Some things I thought were important -- or which were important before -- just aren't anymore.

(I'll never forget being at work, when my mom was sick and being on the phone most of the day with personal things to attend to. Couldn't easily get time off. I just realized how much the job got in the way of my life. That was about 10 years ago. And I've never wanted to work since then. I want my life to be my own.)

Old 04-13-2021, 06:17 AM

15,979 posts, read 7,039,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
The pandemic hasn't changed my wants/needs at all.
Getting older in general has changed my outlook on things. And I've just moved on from some of the things I've done.

I'm single. No kids. Lots of great daily/friends relationships.

For example, in my 40s I bought a SFH, was into decorating, remodeling (it was the second house I'd had remodeled), gardening, etc. My lawn had to be the best on the block. I had all these places I just knew I'd travel to one day.

Well, now I'm 60. Have lost both parents and other older relatives close to me. Don't want to work anymore. And retirement -- and staying employed for 21 more months to get there -- is the main thing on my mind.

I'm in my third home -- which I also had remodeled -- and don't give a hoot about decor, remodeling or gardening. As a matter of fact I 'm getting bid to get rid of all of my grass. If I garden it will be in pots.

So for a lot of my interests it's a case of been there, done that. Just no more interest in those things.
As for travel...well that experience is not what it used to be. Even before Covid, I had no interest in being squeezed in an airplane seat like a sardine. Love the being there (wherever it might be), hate the getting there. Air travel is not that enjoyable.

And at this stage of my life I want as few inconvenices as possible. I want as low a stress life as I can get. And that means no work, and my time being my own.

So those are the reasons my outlook and interests -- wants/needs if you will -- have changed. Some things I thought were important -- or which were important before -- just aren't anymore.

(I'll never forget being at work, when my mom was sick and being on the phone most of the day with personal things to attend to. Couldn't easily get time off. I just realized how much the job got in the way of my life. That was about 10 years ago. And I've never wanted to work since then. I want my life to be my own.)
I relate to much of that. The focus of the thread is on how what you thought important and needed have changed in this stage of your life, in retirement age, and also if Covid had an effect on that.
We did a lot of traveling, far and wide, in the last 10, 15 years and really enjoyed it. Now I just love being home, do my own thing. The charm is gone. Some of it was adjustment to Covid and I realized I dont miss it that much.
I also find my attachment to my kids and grands, loosening. It was imperative before that we see them, get together. I love them as much but i can do that from anywhere.
Happy retirement to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement