Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2021, 08:37 PM

215 posts, read 193,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I guess they didn't do the mandatory out-processing for some of y'all when y'all got out?

We had to attend a week long class before your final out-processing. One day, a VA service guy spoke to us. He took our info and started our VA medical processing. Copies of medical records included.

I was surprised at how they checked everything. Those veteran service officers know their stuff.

Most county offices have them. You can check with them if you have questions.

Well maybe they don't all know their stuff. Cuz after i got my rating, I was curious and started reading the regs. I was then able to help my BIL get his 100% rating. He was a vietnam vet - gee those guys should be almost automatic. But then he would ask too many questions and I told him to just do what I said - lol. Maybe his VSO told him to hit the road.
1987 - I went through 3 days at Fort Dix for out processing. They noted my knee (surgery) and hearing loss. There was no talk of rating till I was already out and had to go to VFW or some such office to get a job. They advised me to ignore it so it would be easier to get a job with no rating. I also had to go to a VA Hospital after I was out to get my dental covered as it was not covered at out processing.
I see now that was a mistake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2021, 10:13 PM

12,065 posts, read 10,340,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olds1 View Post
1987 - I went through 3 days at Fort Dix for out processing. They noted my knee (surgery) and hearing loss. There was no talk of rating till I was already out and had to go to VFW or some such office to get a job. They advised me to ignore it so it would be easier to get a job with no rating. I also had to go to a VA Hospital after I was out to get my dental covered as it was not covered at out processing.
yes because you can still work if you are rated. They even gives vets points for that

You can be 100% disabled via the VA and still work.

Now there is a rating that starts at 60% and they decide you are unemployable so bump you to 100% - but you are not supposed to work.

Hope I got that right. Let me know if i did not.

Old 03-10-2021, 11:22 PM

365 posts, read 353,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olds1 View Post

get evaluated now. it's not too late. go get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post

I had a vet propose to me and part of his "offer" was Tricare for life.

did it work? I might start using that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post

My suggestion is to enroll if qualified and use it enough to maintain your enrollment (they may drop you if you don't use it). You never know when you may need it.

iirc, some VA emergency room and urgent care benefits require the vet to have used the system in the previous two years.

I have heard vets say they go once a year, just to keep their participation current.

Old 03-11-2021, 12:38 AM

12,065 posts, read 10,340,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashlight View Post
get evaluated now. it's not too late. go get it.

did it work? I might start using that.

iirc, some VA emergency room and urgent care benefits require the vet to have used the system in the previous two years.

I have heard vets say they go once a year, just to keep their participation current.
Knock on wood - hope this does not jinx me -

I have not been to the VA medical in at least five years. I find it more convenient to just use a regular local doctor.

How can they say you have to use the VA, when it is not readily available??

As for emergency room use at a local hospital - just inform the VA within 48 hours that you were there.

Old 03-11-2021, 01:03 AM

365 posts, read 353,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post

As for emergency room use at a local hospital - just inform the VA within 48 hours that you were there.

if it is not service connected, I think the 2 years thing applies. easy enough to find on the VA website.

Old 03-11-2021, 01:12 AM

3,976 posts, read 2,008,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillinICT View Post
Interesting, I always thought I couldn’t get VA health care so never looked into it. When the non affordable healthcare started and the costs skyrocketed I somehow and I can’t remember exactly how, heard I might be eligible having only served 12 years with an honorable discharge. Found out because of my gulf war service, the first one, I was not only eligible but I also was not subject to the means test but could submit income if I wanted to determine copay but that was voluntary.

30 years ago today I was breathing the wonderful oil well fire smoke, dust and who knows what else while we were blowing up the ammunition dumps.
I am a Gulf War vet also (90-91), exposed to the same smoke, depleted uranium, and one near vicinity scud missile strike nearby, (full of who knows what). I finally signed up online to register with the VA near my home about 6 months ago. I had to submit documents regarding income. What I recall reading from the website is that means testing can affect priority of scheduling for treatment for one thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill790 View Post
Hmmm. I applied for VA care (so I could get a COVID vaccine) and was turned down because they said I made too much. And I too am Pri 6 (Gulf War vet). Anybody have any idea why?

--
I have my very first consultation with a primary care doctor via video today, as my VA center doesnt allow walk ins for consultations. I am trying to line up an appt in June, but I have no idea what priority rating I have between my Gulf War history, my income, my current 40% rating, and my existing condition. Do you have a current VA rating?

Old 03-11-2021, 01:17 AM

3,976 posts, read 2,008,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
That 'vet' was a retiree. That is how he had access to Tricare and a pension.

Military pensions can be 'decent', they are steady. I served 20 years, my pension is such that I am well within spitting distance from the federal 'Poverty level'.
And if you do get a VA rating under 60%, your pension is offset by the exact amount of the VA rating payment.

At least the VA rating is tax exempt.

Old 03-11-2021, 06:20 AM

337 posts, read 452,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snebarekim View Post
And if you do get a VA rating under 60%, your pension is offset by the exact amount of the VA rating payment.

At least the VA rating is tax exempt.
If you are under 50% disability rating, (0-40%, VA ratings are only increments of 10%) your disability check is subtracted from your retirement check and is tax free. You do not receive a full retirement check PLUS a separate disability check until you are rated 50% and above. So an example would be.... Your retirement check before disability rating was 1,800$. But you are rated at 20%. You would receive a direct deposit of 1,516$ for retirement and a 2nd deposit for $284 for Disability and the Disability check would be tax free. (All numbers rounded for ease)

Old 03-11-2021, 06:30 AM

337 posts, read 452,723 times
On a side note.... Being diabetic, I have 11 prescriptions and close to half are testing supplies (syringes, pen needles, lancets, blood testing strips ect) Instead of getting the scripts filled at the VA and paying a copay, I have the VA Dr. handwrite these scripts with 3 refills and I take them to a nearby Army base and get them filled there for free. The VA hospital is 3 miles from my house. Would be easy to just fill them there, but I like saving the 264$ copays every 3 months. The reason I don't just use the Army base doctor is that it is a distance away, and a lot of military installations are cutting retirees off of clinical care. But you still can use their pharmacy. So I go up to the base and while they are filling my scripts, I go to the commissary and get a months worth of groceries or go to the BX and look around.

Old 03-11-2021, 07:50 AM

1,073 posts, read 1,050,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lathemanjack View Post
Tricare is hospital insurance for those that retired from the military and can be used at any medical facility
VA health care is for veterans that served in the military and is used at VA medical facility only
VA care is not limited to VA facilities. The Mission Act, enacted under the previous administration, made changes to community care availability.

https://missionact.va.gov/#community-care
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement