Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2020, 07:21 AM
JRR

8,159 posts, read 5,653,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakingItEasy View Post
Miserably uncomfortable. I don't know if with age, it seems to get worse. Floridian here. Usually I head to NC mountains or Wyoming, Utah, Colorado during summer months (RV) but this Covid Summer cancelled all of that.

I'm reminded now why I've been getting out of FL from May - September the last 4-5 summers - it's miserable.

I'm already thinking of where I'll be going come next May. Hopefully we'll be done w/ the pandemic (but who knows?).

I can tell you this, though. The months of Nov-mid April are pretty decent here....
My last memory of living in Florida was on March 30 three years ago. 10 PM and I'm finishing loading the two vehicles for heading out the next day. Really humid; sweat just pouring off of me; I was as wet as if my wife had turned a hose on me. 30 hours later we are at our new home unloading and the weather is crisp and cool
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2020, 07:22 AM

43,059 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
some states allow a certain amount of retirement money at zero taxes ... our state ny is a high tax state but they allow up to 20k in retirement money tax free or non state pension/ city .
SC has a state income tax and is very tax friendly for retirees.
I came from Texas that had no income tax but got you on property tax.

I pay significantly less here in SC than I did in Texas and I even had an Ag Exemption on my property.

Old 08-31-2020, 07:34 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
Surely you must know that FL is nothing like any place in CA, right?

So stay put till you both wanna leave... or get divorced.

Till then visit and rent for a couple of months each year.

Don't rush it.. as time passes things come into better focus.

Not to be glib, but at FRA, there aren't that many years left to put things into better focus.

Old 08-31-2020, 07:38 AM

4,849 posts, read 2,665,246 times
humidity is killer..your husband is right..stay where you are or he'll be miserable..or be a snowbird..

Old 08-31-2020, 07:50 AM

4,536 posts, read 3,752,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausikaa View Post
Actually, it is intracoastal not intercoastal.
I usually use ICW for brevity and when asked what the acronym stands for I wrote intercoastal. Thank you for the correction, it’s much appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZPurdue View Post
Where in Florida? My in-laws moved to Sarasota 30 years ago from the Chicago area. They are on the intercoastal waterway and hurricanes have never been a problem there. Humid, yes. I plan to spend a couple months each year there once my wife reaches retirement (in a year).
Charley, a Cat 4, took an unforeseen, abrupt right turn into Punta Gorda (54 mikes south of Sarasota) on the way to Tampa in 2004. Luckily Irma slowed to a Cat 1 or 2 by the time she went over Sarasota in 2017. Never say never with hurricanes.

Last edited by jean_ji; 08-31-2020 at 08:45 AM..

Old 08-31-2020, 08:23 AM

3,319 posts, read 1,814,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
[/b]

Not to be glib, but at FRA, there aren't that many years left to put things into better focus.
You're right!
For some reason I read that they were both 2 yrs away from retirement... and around 62!

Oh well... cancel that ..but I'd still recommend a rent first move.

Old 08-31-2020, 08:28 AM

11,103 posts, read 9,746,390 times
Definitely take a vacation to the area of FL you are considering. A nice long vacation, like 3 weeks minimum, so that you get a feel for the things to do there, the types of homes available in your price range, the distances and traffic you will encounter doing the things that you hope to do in retirement. Also spend time with those grands and kids so that you get a feel for what their actual availability to you will be like if you move there. With parents working, and kids having their friends and extracurriculars, you may find that they will have little time for you on a regular basis.

Some of my friends have made arrangements that the wife, who enjoys travel and spending time with the grands, spends a few weeks where they every 3 months, while hubby stays home. In fact, a lot of our friends do this just for regular travel not including grands. Not everyone is a travel bug and would want this, but moving where the grands are can be a bust if your kids have to move for their jobs after you move there, or if the kids have no time or interest in you when they reach their teens.

Old 08-31-2020, 08:37 AM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Your two reasons for wanting to leave Tehachapi do not seem compelling enough to prompt a leave-taking.

How much do 'crazy rules' actually impact your daily life? And taxes are not necessarily a problem. Making a huge move just to avoid some taxes is not necessarily wise.

It seems the stronger impetus for you is wanting to be near grandchildren and two daughters.

Your husband makes good points about heavy humidity, heat, and lack of 4 seasons. Also hurricanes depending on where you might live in Florida.

I agree with Marino that you have many positives to be grateful for in your location in California.

It sounds like you are possibly looking to fill up your new retirement life with grandchildren (who will grow up) and your two daughters.....something that does not automatically nor necessarily work out well for everyone.
Agree - what are these crazy rules?

And no state income tax - well she needs to think about what that provides. They will end up paying taxes in other ways.

I have a friend that moved here to hell on earth texas from beautiful california and dragged her hubby away. Poor man was never the same. She now laments all the things she used to do there. Here if you don't like heat and humidity - can't even leave the house.

Old 08-31-2020, 08:47 AM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post

And no state income tax - well she needs to think about what that provides. They will end up paying taxes in other ways.

I have a friend that moved here to hell on earth texas from beautiful california and dragged her hubby away. Poor man was never the same. She now laments all the things she used to do there. Here if you don't like heat and humidity - can't even leave the house.
I'm leaving CA for another state and have lived in CA most of my life. I lean conservative on most issues. With that said, if I already owned a house in Tehachapi with an acre of land, and could afford to live there, I'd probably never move. I could overlook the "crazy rules" and the higher taxes to live in Tehachapi.

Old 08-31-2020, 08:49 AM

6,354 posts, read 7,759,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog53 View Post
I retired in April 2020 at FRA of 66. My husband will be able to retire at FRA in 2 years. We have talked about moving to Florida from our current home in Tehachapi, CA. We love Tehachapi for the peaceful atmosphere and four seasons, but are tired of the taxes and crazy rules in CA. My daughters and families live in Fl, one in Indialantic and one in West Melborne, and my son and family in CA.
What about your son and his family? His kids don't need grandparents? You state that you want to be near your daughters and their children, but other than this brief mention, what about your son? And, families are very mobile these days. How long are your daughters going to stay where they are before they move? Are you going to chase them across the country as they move?

If I had 1.4 acres in Tehachapi, there would be no way you would get me out of there. As to the craziness, at least you are in Kern County, one of the last conservative strongholds in SoCal.

And the weather is a big one. Don't discount the humidity. It was the primary factor in my retirement decision to stay in the Rockies or west of them. Everything else played out from that.

My ex-step daughter, her husband, and children moved from SoCal to a small town in southern Idaho specifically to get away from the "meddling grandmothers". Both are physicians and come to regret the overbearing influence their two mothers had on their family and life. So bad that they up and moved. You don't want to move to Florida and then have your daughters and their families move because you "live too close".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I can understand this. California has truly become a "nanny state" and the government exercises quite a bit of influence over daily life. For example, about two years before I retired and moved out of CA, I received a $168 ticket for jaywalking! That was totally unnecessary, given the situation, and confirmed within me what a messed up state it has become.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement