Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2019, 11:38 AM

31,698 posts, read 41,163,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I've looked into several but came to the conclusion that you'd have to be reasonably wealthy to even consider it for more than a handful of years.
I'd hate like hell to be kicked out in my 80s.
They usually have a intensive financial health check hurdle to get over. They do that to make sure you don't run out of money. It isn't just a matter of handing them a check for X dollars and move in. You need additional left over capital and monthly income well in excess of the monthly fee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2019, 12:02 PM

23,178 posts, read 26,322,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
They usually have a intensive financial health check hurdle to get over. They do that to make sure you don't run out of money. It isn't just a matter of handing them a check for X dollars and move in. You need additional left over capital and monthly income well in excess of the monthly fee.
Yeah, I guess that makes sense...not to be accepted in the first place.
The one that looked best to me here had a $90,000 buy in with an percentage option of 'buy backs' (or money for heirs) plus fees of about $5000 a month.I wouldn't doubt that the monthly amount gets higher the higher the percentage you choose .
I suppose they use some rigid actuarial schedule to assess how long your assets might last and go from there?

Old 09-30-2019, 12:40 PM

6,656 posts, read 4,399,583 times
Quote:
The one that looked best to me here had a $90,000 buy in with an percentage option of 'buy backs' (or money for heirs) plus fees of about $5000 a month.I wouldn't doubt that the monthly amount gets higher the higher the percentage you choose .
I suppose they use some rigid actuarial schedule to assess how long your assets might last and go from there?
If you can find a nice one for a $90k buyin, that's a steal. The ones we've looked at require around $500k buy-in. We also are on a wait list. We're still in our early 60s, but they said they have about a 10 year wait list. We were told some families are putting their children on the wait list when they are born. They'll just skip over you if you aren't ready to enter.

Old 09-30-2019, 12:54 PM

654 posts, read 640,167 times
My mom is in one of these. It seems to be very adept at siphoning money out of her bank account.

Old 09-30-2019, 01:06 PM

23,623 posts, read 19,421,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
We've just started to look into these as an alternative in the future. (DH is 76, I am 63.) I'm interested in getting input in what is experienced by those Who are actually living in these communities. And those who dealt closely with relatives in CCRC'S.

(Note I am NOT talking about assisted living facilities. We are looking at campuses that offer a continuum of aging care needs—from independent living, assisted living, and skilled nursing care can all be met within the community.)
My godmother (we are very close and talk about once a week) bought into one about 15 years ago. She has no complaints and I know she appreciates not worrying about being relocated in future if/when her health deteriorates. Several of her friends there have needed more advanced care but didn't seem to have transition issues. Overall I'd say she's quite content.

Old 09-30-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Yes, it will probably be a ratio of up to 200 percent the liquid assets needed to get in and 1 1/2 times the monthly fee in monthly income or a adjustable ratio between the two. Usually a multiple page financial disclosure form along with credit scores etc.

There are additional models beginning to emerge along with buy in fee oriented and no buy in but much higher monthly fees and combinations of. Newer models offer a concierge service where you purchase the level of additional services needed on a monthly basis. That enables you to stay in independent living longer with the services coming to you if needed. It depends on how your assets and insurance are structured as to which is better for each of us.
I would offer a word of caution that one could go into a cost model that is popular now but replaced down the road by a different newer and more popular model. Hard to sell and get your money back for you or your heirs.

Old 09-30-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaubleau View Post
My mom is in one of these. It seems to be very adept at siphoning money out of her bank account.
That's what many find great about them. They have the resources and amenities for you to be able secure comfort and support as desired.

Old 09-30-2019, 05:58 PM

51,735 posts, read 26,032,028 times
The ones run by established churches seem to be the most stable. However, the cost to buy in is still substantial, several hundred thousand dollars depending on facility and age, and the monthly fee is often significant.

If it doesn't work out. Say you don't care for the new staff people, or the new management approach, or it is just not the right fit for you, I don't think you get your money back.

Marriott runs a number of CCRC across the country. They have two deposit options. One is 90% refundable after you leave, once others have put down their deposits.

Old 09-30-2019, 07:10 PM

51,735 posts, read 26,032,028 times
We know several couples without children who have moved into a local CCRC. They seem to like it and are glad not to have the worry of running out of money and not being able to afford care.

Old 09-30-2019, 11:21 PM

9,444 posts, read 6,626,982 times
We preferred to buy our own condo in a 55+. It is actually a duplex with a private enclosed patio/garden area. There are more young people here and more active activities. AND, our condo has doubled in value in 5 years. We prefer to choose our own doctors. My aunt bought into a CCRC , was happy there, and lived to be 95. None of her kids lived close by though, whereas ours are close. My husband is early dementia now and will require Memory Care at some point, which I'm not sure a CCRC would provide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement