Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2009, 09:15 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,708,848 times

Advertisements

What with this economy is going on when people paid lots of money up-front
to live in a life care community? Now they have aged, and these place
will not give them money back. In the new ones because the money is used,
to build and the people who wish to leave need to wait well the builder does focus on his inventory. Aging in place and the life style for many now is
not looking so great. Erickson now is in trouble and many there who did buy
and see the dream gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 10:07 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,415,745 times
It is the old adage "if it is too good to be true..." People get enamored by all the marketing and glitz from these private companies. When, Erickson was coming into Denver, they send me all the marketing material, month after month. I looked into it and recognized the big risk in this financial arrangement. I tried to warn and discuss the problems with others but they were "glassy eyed" with all the glitter.

I would never buy into any retirement community because I want to be flexible and free. As I get older, I do not even want to own a house--it becomes restrictive because it takes time to sell. I own a house now, but as time goes by and I have more health problems, I will sell and live easier as a renter in the various options of senior housing. If I do not like the senior community, then I can easily move to another one.

To tell you the truth, I do not want to own anything anymore. I want to get rid of my car and all the junk that I have accumulated in life. I want no concern about fixing and maintaining this and that...I want to get up and go with as little as possible. I have learned that I do not own possessions, they own me.

Livecontent

Old 11-10-2009, 12:13 AM

4,948 posts, read 18,708,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
It is the old adage "if it is too good to be true..." People get enamored by all the marketing and glitz from these private companies. When, Erickson was coming into Denver, they send me all the marketing material, month after month. I looked into it and recognized the big risk in this financial arrangement. I tried to warn and discuss the problems with others but they were "glassy eyed" with all the glitter.

I would never buy into any retirement community because I want to be flexible and free. As I get older, I do not even want to own a house--it becomes restrictive because it takes time to sell. I own a house now, but as time goes by and I have more health problems, I will sell and live easier as a renter in the various options of senior housing. If I do not like the senior community, then I can easily move to another one.

To tell you the truth, I do not want to own anything anymore. I want to get rid of my car and all the junk that I have accumulated in life. I want no concern about fixing and maintaining this and that...I want to get up and go with as little as possible. I have learned that I do not own possessions, they own me.

Livecontent
Now, the people who did buy, and are in so called limbo with not a way out.
They also did send me all this, but it was way to high for me and they did not
offer the try it to see if you like it deal just come for a lunch and buy?

Old 12-01-2009, 05:51 PM

51 posts, read 110,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post

Livecontent
I am soo with you!!!
Once I sell ...never again will I buy.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:05 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,762,858 times
If we do not build our very small cottage, then we plan on renting for the rest of our stay on planet earth. I would never pay upfront for an assisted living development. What if they go bankrupt? Lots of these places are hurting with the downturn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement