Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2019, 10:10 PM
JRR

8,196 posts, read 5,710,709 times

Advertisements

I once sat next to Rudy Valee on a flight from New York City to Miami. I sat down and looked at him and wasn't quite sure. Then the flight attendant brought him a pillow and called him Mr Vallee. So I said "Pleased to meet you Mr Vallee". He nodded and that was that for the whole trip; not exactly the friendly type. You would think that with his $ that he would not have been flying coach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2019, 05:20 AM

7,665 posts, read 4,650,954 times
Sadly, the thing that got me a ton of calls and apparently went national was me skipping out of an unending meeting at work in Chicago to sneak in a cigarette. NBC was across the street and asked for a quick blurb for a little report on ways I've tried to stop smoking while I was smoking. They were less than an hour to airtime. I said fine and forgot all about it. Apparently the conversation went national and played on multiple days. F....

Old 09-16-2019, 07:19 AM

88,865 posts, read 85,274,311 times
I had a day of fame at work once.

I worked in the city and it was my habit on the way into the office to stop at one of those street carts that sell coffee and doughnuts and bagels and whatnot and pick up a corn muffin. I just loved corn muffins and ate them almost every work day. Then I would warm up the corn muffin the office microwave when I got to work

Well, one morning I got in at 8 and I had to use the ladies room, so I set my corn muffin down next to the microwave and went to the bathroom, and when I came out, someone had stolen it. I was MAD. I get cranky when I am hungry, and how cheesy ARE you that you steal somebody else's breakfast???

So I went back to my desk and using the department-wide distribution list, I sent out an email saying "Whoever stole my corn muffin, I hope you choke to death on it." Not nice, but, as I said, I was hangry.

However, we had just had this big training thing about bullying and abusive language and behavior in the workplace, and my director was home that day and reading her email and saw my message and called the assistant director and I got called into the office with my manager and reprimanded for sending out inappropriate emails. I apologized, etc., and all was well.

However, the email had already been forwarded throughout the organization beyond my department, and I had several meetings that day at other offices, and every time anyone saw me, I got a lot of ribbing about my anger over my stolen corn muffin.

When I left the department for a promotion later that year, they had a little going-away party in my department for Mighty "corn muffin" Queen.

Never did find out who took it.

Old 09-16-2019, 05:35 PM

19,945 posts, read 9,504,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I

So I went back to my desk and using the department-wide distribution list, I sent out an email saying "Whoever stole my corn muffin, I hope you choke to death on it." Not nice, but, as I said, I was hangry.
That is funny. One time my husband and I stayed at a very nice condo, and I baked a batch of blueberry muffins. We had one each, I put the rest in a basket, and then we went for a hike or something. When we returned, the maid(s) had been in to clean, and the basket was missing at least two of the muffins. (We just laughed about it, though.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement