Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 03:05 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,977,625 times

Advertisements

I was featured on the front page of our local newspaper. Three photos of me, none holding a booking number.

In our town that was kind of an achievement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2019, 03:09 PM

23,326 posts, read 18,890,074 times
I've ended up in a few newspapers, a local TV or radio broadcast, a book, or a magazine due to public sector work. Interview, quotation, photo of me or a photo I took, or having content published. Somewhere a Supreme Court testimony transcript buried in the archives. Shook hands with Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton in public once. Oh right...then there's the flattering photo in a professional research journal of a bloody-handed me trying to wrestle the jawbone out of a dead deer without damaging the teeth (suffice it to say, there's a right way and a wrong way that involves bolt cutters). It was 5 am, about 34 degrees and raining, the deer was not cooperating at all and I was half dead with the flu at the time.

But that's not really personal.

Every once in a while someone comes up to me with a puzzled look on their face trying to connect the dots between me and some distant media memory. Especially funny when it happens in some international airport 1000 miles from home. An indicator that some cable TV channel is filling air time with reruns. The story surrounding one of my rescued exotic pets happened to be featured on an Animal Planet vet medicine show. The film crew was usually lurking around this practice so if you showed up with anything other than a dog or cat they pounced.

Last edited by Parnassia; 09-10-2019 at 03:53 PM..

Old 09-10-2019, 03:33 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,772,388 times
No fame yet except both of my kids were in newspaper for more than once. They won some prestigious in academic

Old 09-10-2019, 06:23 PM

7,481 posts, read 6,267,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
Hee Haw Gal Victoria Hallman is from my hometown. I've never met her but many folks back home are good friends with her. Don't need to look up ole Lester. I know exactly who he is.

First nuclear plant? BWR or PWR? lol I was a co-op student at Plant Hatch many years ago.
Tell me more, BWR, Plant Hatch, 1970- 1982. What dept. did you co-op in, possibly I & C? I was a Technician there and then Supervisor.

Last edited by Southern man; 09-10-2019 at 07:18 PM..

Old 09-10-2019, 06:49 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,970,897 times
"Is it like that for you? Does it contribute to your life now?"
essentially, no.
i won a Vince Gill look-alike contest which was a big deal back then.
just like about everything else in my life: "back then".

Old 09-10-2019, 07:16 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,613,533 times
In the early '80's I was working as a photographer & a picture of me chasing the capó of that city's Mafia family down the courthouse steps was on the front page of the state's main newspaper, just the two of us. I think I still have it somewhere...

Old 09-11-2019, 01:03 AM

1,607 posts, read 1,946,275 times
I was on the original Mickey Mouse Club TV program in 1958. Talent Roundup Day.

Old 09-11-2019, 01:39 AM

16,102 posts, read 10,766,542 times
Guest on a call-in talk radio show.

Old 09-11-2019, 01:39 AM

21,553 posts, read 8,733,710 times
My 15 minutes was when I got my name on the front page of the local newspaper. "Girl, 7, Saves Family." Our house had caught fire in the middle of the night, and I was the first one to wake up, smell the smoke and call for help. I remember a reporter coming to the house the day after the fire, talking to my mom and writing in a small notebook. My last name was misspelled, but what a thrill it was to feel like a hero!

Old 09-11-2019, 02:06 AM

6,773 posts, read 5,494,467 times
Well, it certainly has not "enhanced my life", but:

a newspaper (memba those?) In 4th grade featured a picture of me and an older classmate standing with a cube of smashed up car in 1970. The article was about recycling.

Then one day I was on the radio when i won 2 tickets to a concert. I was the 20th caller.

And finally, when my house burned down, it was on the local "film at 11" news. Where they mentioned my nake, stated i "was home at the time of the fire, but was able to get out , was treated and released from the hospital fir smoke inhalation, and was staying with friends ".

I was mentioned on the local news the night i died at work. It wasn't much more than a report like the fire.

Then i am listed in a college scholastic achievement book, my one college professor was amazed i was homeless that year but went back to college ( on many loans) and so she turned me in to the publisher. I was embarrassed, because i had to drop out the next semester due to medical issues and having a major surgery.

That doesn't totally add up to 15 minutes, but what can i say. Well maybe all told it does.

Guess im done for life. I guess I've had my 15 minutes
already.

Nope. Not done for life. There'll be an obituary, lol.

Oh, wait, tyeres more. In the atec80s i was a line cook in a popular restaurant in New England.cooked dinner for Peter Yarrow, and Mary Travers ( Peter Paul and Mary) an actress whose name escapes me and a few otyer notable celebrities. Never got to meet them, as it was always VERY BUSY in the kitchen, but waitstaff would tell us, or the host would tell us who was seated and which orders were theirs. We always added the "special ingredient " for them!

Last edited by galaxyhi; 09-11-2019 at 02:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement