Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 06:03 PM

48,709 posts, read 35,216,072 times

Advertisements

I've reduced sugar and white flour type foods, because it affects my blood sugar. I've always eaten healthy, but now it's healthier.

I watch what I eat so I do not gain weight, it packs on faster now then when I was younger.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2019, 06:09 PM

20,114 posts, read 9,644,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I've reduced sugar and white flour type foods, because it affects my blood sugar. I've always eaten healthy, but now it's healthier.

I watch what I eat so I do not gain weight, it packs on faster now then when I was younger.
I agree with all the above. A two-pound bag of sugar now lasts us nine months, and I only buy white flour in November because I still make three batches of cookies (two Christmas cookie recipes and one batch of Toll House cookies to celebrate the first snowfall of the winter). And I do admit that I do like an occasional French roll, and I love pizza and pasta. (However, I have reduced the pizza and pasta WAY down, so now one or the other is a once-a-month "treat" instead of a once or twice a week occurrence).

However, I haven't lost any weight (I could stand to lose about 25 pounds), but the good news is that I haven't gained any weight in a year, either -- and that is unusual for me!

Last edited by katharsis; 08-12-2019 at 06:23 PM..

Old 08-12-2019, 06:15 PM

3,211 posts, read 3,006,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Also, for women, do you still diet for weight loss or maintenance? And, if not, how old were you when you gave it up?
I've never dieted for weight loss, but have always watched my weight in a maintenance kind of way just to stay at my preferred weight, which is now 110 pounds. Before that, I kept it under 125 pounds when I was young. I'll never give up maintenance, no matter how old I get.

The only foods I've given up as a senior are anything acidic, which seems to bother my stomach these days....old lady stomach, I call it...and wine, which my stomach can't handle anymore either.

Old 08-12-2019, 06:19 PM

26,666 posts, read 28,886,233 times
I had to give up a lot of good foods about 30 years ago when diagnosed with food allergies.

So I've had to add in new foods instead--like almond milk instead of real milk. Unfortunately, they make a really delicious almond milk "ice cream" and I've gained some weight from it. I've never been on a diet but I guess it's about time. I never was a big eater but now I eat even less than ever--it's just that "ice cream" that's putting pounds on. Sweet tooth.

Old 08-12-2019, 06:20 PM

344 posts, read 419,217 times
I didn’t have to give up milk, and it was a regular item on my grocery list but I never buy it or drink it now and might have bought 2 or 3 gallons in the last 2 or 3 years. Right after I retired I watched a lot of YouTube videos on whole food plant based diets and tried (with only limited success) to move in that direction. My fruits and vegetable consumption is way up and meat and cheese consumption is down (a little) but I haven’t felt the desire for milk (or eggs) since I started down that road.

Old 08-12-2019, 06:20 PM

1,978 posts, read 1,560,896 times
Nuts and peanuts, they don't digest. I am reduced to eating peanut butter.

Old 08-12-2019, 06:41 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,842,220 times
Meat like beef, I can’t eat too much, I get keto rash. In fact I have lost weight, all of my vacation weight was gone, but I have to eat lots of vegs, less protein, and up my exercise. No longer do keto diet, not effective on me. Don’t drink beer nor wine.

Old 08-12-2019, 06:46 PM

7,898 posts, read 7,145,434 times
My lactose intolerance has been joined by an allergy to milk. That is pretty restrictive. I had to give up almost all spicy foods but at least I can tolerate green curries. I don't do well digesting fats and don't need the calories. I am trying to cut back on carbs. My doctors want me to give up any processed or otherwise salty food.

At the going rate, I might as well give up food and start with the green goo smoothies. Oops, I guess not. My wife did that and ended up with diverticulitis.

Old 08-12-2019, 07:05 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,983,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Although I have grown away from eating certain things, I didn't have to stop eating any of them. My eating choices simply changed. In fact, after many years of not drinking milk, 2 or 3 years ago I suddenly found myself back in the habit of drinking chocolate milk daily and will continue to drink it. I have to have my chocolate fix after all.
I love my TruMoo After my knee replacement last winter it was recommended that I drink Boost, Ensure or even chocolate milk for the protein. I went for the chocolate milk and got hooked. I hadn't bought it 50 years. There's always a half gallon in the fridge now.

I haven't given up very much at all. I never ate shell fish, and never was much of a red meat eater. I drink five or six beers a week, and everything else I eat in moderation. I like chips with sandwiches and I still eat sweets from time to time. My weight is ok, and the blood work still looks good. I'll make the changes as they become necessary.

Old 08-12-2019, 07:23 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,074,015 times
When I was 35, all members of the allium family (garlic, onion, leeks, shallots) became pure poison to me in even tiny amounts. Italian food became an instant no-no.

When I was about 50 I gave up anything with caffeine because it was causing heart arrythmia.

When I was 55 I decided to give up red meat and eating whole eggs except in baked goods. Three whole eggs is the maximum in any recipe that I use (so no pound cake, LOL.) Switched from whole milk to 1% for lower fat content but it was too watery and so I compromised at 2% thereafter.

At age 62 I was hit with a cascade of digestive problems, starting with IBS-D as well as GERD and esophagitis, shortly after being advised to follow a low-oxalate diet because of kidney stones. As result of these multiple conditions, plus a few 'normal' food allergies thrown into the mix, I have had to give up pretty much everything. It would be easier to list the few things (less than a dozen) that I can eat than to list the ones I can't, LOL. But as long as the restrictive diet keeps my digestive system on a relatively even keel without meds, it's okay. I was never much of a foodie anyhow and was never one of those "can eat anything" people at any time in my life. The usual meds for GERD had the side effect of making my IBS-D much worse so I had to learn by trial and error which things were problematic. Turns out that most foods are, LOL

I figure it this way: For the first 12 years of my life there was a long list of foods I couldn't eat because of childhood allergies. Then I had a decent run of 23 years when I could eat most things. After that it was pretty much all downhill.

There a few foods I sometimes miss but none of them are worth the miserable consequences (which lasts for days) of indulging any of those whims - so I don't.

Over the past several years I've become accustomed to eating only certain soft bland foods, and I figure the money I save by not going to restaurants anymore ends up getting spent on garden plants instead. Works for me, lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement