Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 05:17 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,228,628 times

Advertisements

I was with a group of other retired people today (a widow/widower support group so we are all single now) and we started talking about online dating. Most of us are in our mid 60s to late 70s. One woman tried on line dating (two different companies) and the first three men were all scammers. Another woman went on dates with two different men and they both were on the sex offender registry. Several other people had other horror stories about their senior citizen friends who tried on line dating.

So many younger people find a match through on line dating, or at least have OK experiences, is it really that different for senior citizens? Or did the people in my group (and their friends) just have unusually bad experiences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2019, 05:25 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,786,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
So many younger people find a match through on line dating, or at least have OK experiences, is it really that different for senior citizens? Or did the people in my group (and their friends) just have unusually bad experiences?
I am not so sure on how many young people find a match with on-line dating. I read an article in the Atlantic recently that had some pretty bad numbers, something like 1 out of 300 contacts made in the dating app actually end up being a date.

Old 06-27-2019, 05:31 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,985,353 times
"...is it really that different for senior citizens?"
yes.

Old 06-27-2019, 05:31 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,600,795 times
Scammers preying on older women are rampant on online dating websites. (often financial scammers) Men on sexual offender registries and other criminals are also rampant on online dating websites, and in the older age groups.

When one looks at POF website (Plenty of Fish) in the older age groups, it often looks like an array of criminal offenders, men fresh out of prison, perverts, and low lifes.

Match.com and OurTime.com have similar problems for older people.

Before people start popping up with how they met a companion on the dating websites as an older person, yes, I am certain some people have done so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post

is it really that different for senior citizens? Or did the people in my group (and their friends) just have unusually bad experiences?
Yes, OP, it is different, and your friends or acquaintances are not unusual in having bad experiences.

Last edited by matisse12; 06-27-2019 at 05:50 PM..

Old 06-27-2019, 05:54 PM

5,950 posts, read 5,127,290 times
I used to partake in the sites but never found anyone who I wanted a second date with.

And I have to admit, I'm watching Dateline and those other shows on TV where some woman has been abducted and found dead later on.
I'm not trying to be rude, but I have two cats and they have gotten into my heart.

The bad experiences are not unusual. They are common.

Old 06-27-2019, 06:03 PM

515 posts, read 361,899 times
Default One good experience, several bad

I met one woman who was great, and we dated for some time. I have had a few bad experiences as well, with women that had multiple ex husbands and wanted to tell me all about them on our first date. Many of the women on the sites seem to have issues or want prince charming with tons of cash. It is frustrating and I would say there are more bad results than good.

Old 06-27-2019, 06:04 PM

3,267 posts, read 5,019,147 times
I'm 72. About three years ago, I tried online dating -- Match.com and OurTime.com. I met and dated a few interesting men, then had a very unpleasant experience with a man who had a very casual relationship with the truth. When I broke off that relationship, he became a cyberstalker, and it took a long time to get him to leave me alone. After that I said no more online dating.

Although my daughter and her husband met online and are very happy in their relationship, they are not seniors. I think it generally is different for people of our generation. It's so different from when we were younger, when we met people at school or at work and got to know them a bit before dating them. Online dating felt rushed to me. I much prefer the slower pace of the olden days: my late husband I met at work and we worked closely together as friends for a year before we started dating.

Old 06-27-2019, 06:07 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,679,171 times
I hate to say this, but the women of a certain age may be attractive, but the men are not!

That is my experience.

Old 06-27-2019, 06:10 PM

3,267 posts, read 5,019,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I hate to say this, but the women of a certain age may be attractive, but the men are not!

That is my experience.
That was not my experience, but maybe my standards are lower.

Old 06-27-2019, 06:19 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,985,353 times
above, when i posted YES, i remembered my father-in-law.
my MIL died first, and "the word" spread quickly that my FIL was "single".
he had no need of any help at all. it was/is a Gold Rush.
so...yes...it is "different". i became aware of HOW different in 2017.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement