Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 08:38 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,255,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Condums behind the counter only sold by the Pharmacist.
....unless you went to a gas station just outside of town. There was always one or more of those who kept a box under the counter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2019, 08:49 AM

192 posts, read 189,037 times
3-Dimensional people, manners, common sense and reason, life offline, cursive handwriting, and that opinions are not facts.

Old 03-12-2019, 09:02 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,931,616 times
Slide rule
Abacus
Two cans with a string between them

Old 03-12-2019, 10:10 AM

5,470 posts, read 4,104,950 times
lol, remember the giant slide rule over the black board in math class? I never did get the hang of slide rules.

Walking home from school for lunch.

Fotomat, waiting to get your photos back. Double prints so you could send some to the grandparents.

Having a dollar to buy holiday presents for your whole family, at the 5&10.

Old 03-12-2019, 11:51 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,755,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourown2feet View Post
Younger workers have a hard time believing people smoked all day long at their desks.

I was appalled by the rampant smoking when I entered the workforce in the 1980s. Almost a whole generation had passed since the Surgeon General's Report on Cancer and Smoking, and I still had to breathe smoky air all day long! We did not get a smoke-free workplace until 1991.
I used to love morning staff meetings, with a pot of black coffee, a dozen donuts and ashtrays on the conference table. My boss used to bring his inbox to the meeting, and we would go for a couple of hours. Everybody knew what was going on and could discuss any questions or problems. It was a great team building time.

Old 03-12-2019, 12:09 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,154,150 times
For youngsters in the finance industry, American stock exchanges traded in 8ths and 16ths instead of decimals.

Old 03-12-2019, 12:11 PM

250 posts, read 183,497 times
Radio was awesome back in the day. Remember Wolfman Jack and Dr.Demento? Recording music from the radio to my cassette tapes. Smoking sections in middle school. Suncreen really didn't exist while I was little, but women sure loved to slather on oil and fry in the sun! Hair conditioner was called "creme rinse" and it sucked. Having to constantly adjust the TV antennas.

Old 03-12-2019, 12:21 PM

5,275 posts, read 6,216,305 times
A few more:

Encyclopedias along with dish sets that you could collect a different one each month at the grocery store.
Glasses and plates given out at gas stations with each fill up.
A pickup truck in our suburban neighborhood meant your dad was in construction or a farmer.
Long distant phone calls were very costly and used extremely sparingly.
We took multiple pictures in hopes they would come out in order to put them in photo albums
We bronzed baby shoes
We went to drive ins
There were elephant's at the circus and they had a parade when they came to town
Baby's were not that secure and neither were we in automobiles
No such thing as a time share
Your credit card was squished onto carbon paper for your receipt
SUV's were for those living in rural areas, construction crews and surveyors.
Gasoline that looked brown when you put it into a clear container
Gas containers were not high tech. I just learned you can't buy an old fashioned gas container anymore
FM Convertors for your automobile
Timex watches were rights of passage for children...………..takes a licking but keeps on ticking.
Sunday nights were for the family with Wonderful World of Disney and Mutual of Omaha wild Kingdom!

Old 03-12-2019, 12:41 PM

41,000 posts, read 49,395,042 times
Having my Father tell me at Church... Just wait till we get home !

Man, that was the longest few hours ever. getting a few licks from his belt was almost a relief.

Old 03-12-2019, 12:43 PM

35,205 posts, read 31,544,687 times
Mice with the rotary track balls as a cursor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement