Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 07:17 PM

4,858 posts, read 3,674,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCakes572 View Post
Wow, thanks for the replies. They were married the entire time he was in the Navy.
It is called the: Former Spouse Protection Act.

I receive a portion of my ex-husband's retired pay. We were married 13.5 years, all of which was during his active duty, and I initially received 32.5% of his retired pay.

A few years ago he apparently became rated for VA disability, and they pay him VA pay but take away some of his retired pay, hence my portion was reduced by 1/3.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2019, 07:29 PM

155 posts, read 119,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
I do respect that you are not an attorney- The statue of limitations long ran out to collect on any arrears. Go read up and learn a thing or two. Social security has no authority to implement on an outdated an unenforceable court order that expired. Wow just wow that IF that was even true...that it made it that far.

I did read your post...and IT was a blessing for her.
I remember that he had me call Social Security for him because he was beside himself. I did with him on the line to give consent. I don’t recall the specifics, but I do remember that the Social Security representative told him that it was indeed legal, and that he was mandated to pay the arrearages hence, his Social Security was garnished, as he had no other income or assets.

Several years ago, I spoke with a friend of mine, who happens to work as a Social Security representative and he said it is not at all uncommon to have Social Security garnished for nonpayment of child support as well as non-payment of federal student loans. Said those were the 2 most common reasons for garnishments.

Maybe you should read up and learn a thing or two as well. No need to be so snarky.

Old 02-23-2019, 07:59 PM

2,294 posts, read 1,693,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedesmarcelina158 View Post
I remember that he had me call Social Security for him because he was beside himself. I did with him on the line to give consent. I don’t recall the specifics, but I do remember that the Social Security representative told him that it was indeed legal, and that he was mandated to pay the arrearages hence, his Social Security was garnished, as he had no other income or assets.

Several years ago, I spoke with a friend of mine, who happens to work as a Social Security representative and he said it is not at all uncommon to have Social Security garnished for nonpayment of child support as well as non-payment of federal student loans. Said those were the 2 most common reasons for garnishments.

Maybe you should read up and learn a thing or two as well. No need to be so snarky.
I have heard of this also. That abandoned mother deserved every cent of back child support that her ex-spouse skipped out on. Her own retirement savings were probably curtailed by having to support 4 children on her income alone due to his selfishness.

I had a family member go through this and it was a nightmare - she died an early death due to stress. Karma usually wins out and I certainly hope it did in that case.

Old 02-24-2019, 01:23 AM

11,024 posts, read 7,895,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoman_6 View Post
it's scary to me how people can have access to the internet, and choose to seek advice from a bunch of people that probably know nothing of the topic, instead of going to accurate sources, such as the military, social security and, I don't know, a thousand government websites ready to answer the question
I only think that could be scary if they take unsubstantiated claims by others as gospel. In many cases people have already checked the official websites and are unable to interpret the legalese sufficiently to find how it affects there own situation. In that case, knowledgeable readers can provide very good practical knowledge and reinterpretation of the regulations that will allow the questioner to better decide if they should further pursue the matter.

Old 02-24-2019, 04:15 AM

7,996 posts, read 5,427,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
.. I think it is ironic that someone gets paid despite never wearing the uniform once, never shot a single shot in battle or even practice but they get 1/2 the money.......
Hmmm...did the spouse stay home and keep up the home, take care of the children while they were doing all of that??

Old 02-24-2019, 06:13 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,573,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
Hmmm...did the spouse stay home and keep up the home, take care of the children while they were doing all of that??
All of those were personal choices. Not compensable job duties.

If she didn't want to have children, then she shouldn't have had them.
If she didn't want to stay home, she didn't have to.

Women have to own their personal choices around having children.

Old 02-24-2019, 08:08 AM

51,314 posts, read 36,980,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
It is called the: Former Spouse Protection Act.

I receive a portion of my ex-husband's retired pay. We were married 13.5 years, all of which was during his active duty, and I initially received 32.5% of his retired pay.

A few years ago he apparently became rated for VA disability, and they pay him VA pay but take away some of his retired pay, hence my portion was reduced by 1/3.
But wasn’t this established at the time of divorce? The point is not what does VA allow, what matter is the terms agreed to in this 40+ year old divorce. Again, these people are elderly, been divorced 40+ years, and more importantly he’s been collecting that pension for decades now. If her getting portion of his pension was in the terms of divorce, she’d have been getting it for decades. Regardless VA will have no authority to order spousal support, and OP has not come back to state ages (has to be 80’s). Is his mom willing and able to take him back to court for support 40 years later?

It’s not something VA can do for them, it has to be a court order.

Old 02-24-2019, 08:09 AM

51,314 posts, read 36,980,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post

They sure did not in the time periods we are talking about here.

Old 02-24-2019, 08:35 AM

24,145 posts, read 15,233,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louiloui View Post
Retirement benefits for a divorced spouse who does not remarry may depend on the state where you live. My SIL and BIL live in PA. divorced after 25 years of marriage. SIL never remarried and she gets 50% of his SS and 50% of his teachers pension, he never remarried either, I guess he couldn't afford to.
She gets 1/2 of his SS, but he doesn't give it out of his check. It is a totally separate deal. If he has 3 ex wives married at least 10 years, they each get 1/2 of what he gets. He still gets the whole. That's part of the problem with SS.

Now if he has a kid when he's 60 and retires at 66.? that kid will get 1/2 until he is out of High school.

I was stunned the day I discovered I got 1/2 DH's social security. I have never been gainfully employed since i was 18.

Old 02-24-2019, 09:05 AM

3,166 posts, read 1,632,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post

Did the spouse impregnant his wife?

Did the spouse arrange/pay for childcare while on duty?

Did the spouse prefer mother of his children to stay at home with children rather than alternative provider of childcare?

Did mother forego employment opportunities to stay at home with children?

Husband and wife have to own choices and economic consequences.

In the eyes of the law, a pension is a joint marital asset.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement