Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2019, 01:21 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times

Advertisements

Again, doctors have no hold on insurance companies, it is the other way around.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2019, 02:19 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Again, doctors have no hold on insurance companies, it is the other way around.
I don't buy that one....the doctors rule the insurance world as to what they want to do. They want the elective surgeries to go on and on so they do. The insurance companies don't dowel out the drugs and surgeries.

And then there is this: hospitals have invested more and more millions in operating rooms equipement for all the elective surgeries...I can see when a surgery is an emergency but all these elective traumas to the body.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 07-28-2019 at 02:37 PM..

Old 07-28-2019, 02:32 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
Joint replacements are a total scam and a rip off. Do some research into stem cell injections. I fell down the stairs over a yr ago and was told I needed a knee replacement. No way. Now, a yr later, I am fine and healed up, with one cortisone shot. I tell you, it is a scam. Do NOT do it. And the replacements are only good for 10 yrs or so.
I am always flabbergasted to read posts like these. Do you just skip over the posts from people who have HAD the surgery and are now living pain-free?

And from what I've read, the replacements are often good for 20 years or more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
They are major assembly line surgery business. And one lives with metal and plastic in their bodies until it's time for a revision or until one dies. I live with so much damage from hip replacement in 2010 and live with regrets that I did it. Yes to PRP and Stem Cells. Regenerative Medicine.

But the surgeons have the monoply on it all with insurance companies. Hospitals are all outfitted for the major operating rooms and all the equipment for it all.

One D.O. I see said these replacements are the bloodiest surgeries he's seen.
I am sure that the previous major surgeries I had were very bloody. I was unconscious so I didn't see.

And my cataract surgery in 2015 was "assembly-line surgery," if all that you mean is that the very experienced surgeon did one after another on his surgery days. SO WHAT. I got my vision back and still don't need glasses for distance OR close-up (at the age of 60).

Right now my left knee is so bad that I am walking with a cane and will have to until that knee is replaced, hopefully in January 2020. (The cortisone shot I got in May did absolutely nothing -- although they DO work for many people.) The surgery will cost me a maximum of $1,500 (that's my insurance out-of-pocket max). That will be a bargain for being able to walk normally again!!

Incidentally, I could try stem cell therapy, but at a cost of several thousand dollars OUT OF POCKET with no guarantee that it will have ANY benefits. (See https://www.healthline.com/health/st...for-knees#cost .) It would be great if I could wait several years until the therapy has been studied enough in knees so that insurance would cover it, but that's not the case right now.

Old 07-28-2019, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I am always flabbergasted to read posts like these. Do you just skip over the posts from people who have HAD the surgery and are now living pain-free?

And from what I've read, the replacements are often good for 20 years or more.

I am sure that the previous major surgeries I had were very bloody. I was unconscious so I didn't see.

And my cataract surgery in 2015 was "assembly-line surgery," if all that you mean is that the very experienced surgeon did one after another on his surgery days. SO WHAT. I got my vision back and still don't need glasses for distance OR close-up (at the age of 60).

Right now my left knee is so bad that I am walking with a cane and will have to until that knee is replaced, hopefully in January 2020. (The cortisone shot I got in May did absolutely nothing -- although they DO work for many people.) The surgery will cost me a maximum of $1,500 (that's my insurance out-of-pocket max). That will be a bargain for being able to walk normally again!!

Incidentally, I could try stem cell therapy, but at a cost of several thousand dollars OUT OF POCKET with no guarantee that it will have ANY benefits. (See https://www.healthline.com/health/st...for-knees#cost .) It would be great if I could wait several years until the therapy has been studied enough in knees so that insurance would cover it, but that's not the case right now.
Oh, I know enough who have plenty of pain and issues with replacements done,,,I'm one of them, going on 9 yrs. And many are not living pain free!!!!

And go to some of the replacement forums and read some stories ... a lot of misery even after the major jobs.

And if the insurance companies got involved in the Stem Cells and PRP and people could get them and get what their bodies need to regenerate, the more would do them. Tearing up the body and putting metal and plastic in is NOT regnerative medicine. The price scares them off, it has me.

All the athletes who do the PRP and Stem Cells can afford them. They don't do a surgery every time a new injury, the do PRP and Stem Cells.

And today a knee replacement is probably about $50K or more all said and done...and you deal with what you got.

Old 07-28-2019, 03:33 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,220,586 times
My wife had TKR on her right knee three years ago. She's been totally pain free since 4 months after surgery. she had her left knee done in early may of this year. It's still a bit sensitive but healing on schedule. We are doing 3 to 5 mile walks almost every day. The surgery was definitely not a scam, and I am thrilled she took this course of action. She doesn't have great insurance so the cost was in mid $6000 range. Absolutely worth it.

Old 07-28-2019, 04:12 PM

oh btw: the VA hospitals are doing PRP and Stem Cells with many of their wounded and damaged patients. Good enough for them, good enough for me.

Old 07-28-2019, 04:26 PM

1,204 posts, read 935,376 times
Had knee replaced three years ago. Before, awful grinding pain in knee when mobile. Now walk comfortably. Will do the other one next year. No doubts here.

Old 07-28-2019, 04:28 PM
JRR

8,165 posts, read 5,661,013 times
I always get a kick from those who want to tell other people what to do, based on their ideas/experience. I have had a hip replaced three years ago and my recent knee replacement. So far, I am very happy with the results. But if someone wants to live with their pain or try alternative treatments for their situation, then have at it. I would not tell anyone that they should have a joint replacement if they are not inclined to do so.

Old 07-28-2019, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
I always get a kick from those who want to tell other people what to do, based on their ideas/experience. I have had a hip replaced three years ago and my recent knee replacement. So far, I am very happy with the results. But if someone wants to live with their pain or try alternative treatments for their situation, then have at it. I would not tell anyone that they should have a joint replacement if they are not inclined to do so.
Precisely, and chances are had I had a good hip replacement, I may not be as fearful to cut my body again. No one likes to live in pain and many do with or without replacements. When I think how good I felt 5 months post op and then everything went downhill for me. And I do live with back OA and it all is connected as I see it now. And the shorter leg which went on too long from the hip job. Believe me, not everyone has great results.

Old 07-28-2019, 05:37 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Precisely, and chances are had I had a good hip replacement, I may not be as fearful to cut my body again. No one likes to live in pain and many do with or without replacements. When I think how good I felt 5 months post op and then everything went downhill for me. And I do live with back OA and it all is connected as I see it now. And the shorter leg which went on too long from the hip job. Believe me, not everyone has great results.
Jamin, precisely NO ONE was telling you what to do (not sure whom JRR was referring to in his post). No one is stopping you or LivingDeadGirl from trying all the alternative treatments you want. Just wish you would stop saying (in the case of LDG) or implying (you) that joint replacements are a scam or some sort of conspiracy between doctors and insurance companies. I am sorry you had a bad experience with yours, but it is not the norm.

As I wrote, I would try the stem cell treatment, but as far as I know it's not covered by my insurance, and I am not willing to pay thousands of dollars out of pocket when the treatment might do zero. I hope someday it will be covered by insurance (like by the time my right knee is as bad as my left one currently is!). The link that I posted earlier suggests that there is promising research going on with regard to knee cartilage, but it's a way off from being a perfect solution for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement