Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 02:50 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,874,855 times

Advertisements

[quote=ACWhite;52812263]

I've been to PT for osteoarthritis in the knee. The theory is that it can strengthen the muscles around the knee and put less pressure on the joint itself, to prevent it from deteriorating further. For me, I noticed no difference in pain, unfortunately. So whether it helps may depend on the individual.

-----

This...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2018, 03:38 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,773,199 times
[quote=greatblueheron;53159413]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post

I've been to PT for osteoarthritis in the knee. The theory is that it can strengthen the muscles around the knee and put less pressure on the joint itself, to prevent it from deteriorating further. For me, I noticed no difference in pain, unfortunately. So whether it helps may depend on the individual.

-----

This...
I did a lot of specific PT work for my knee while in the rehabs and do them at home and they do help when I do them, but I have to do them a lot of the time. Once I stop and let the knee relax it gets real stiff and hard and painful to walk. I think I'll do a couple now.

The reason I brought this thread is is for the Nanotech work I've just found. It would be GREAT if it was a much less type of invasive work for the re growth of cartilage .

This Scientifc American article was published in 2008 and I hearing ads on the radio for 3 clinics here in So. Calif now doing this work.

So there is work being done for so many to avoid invasive replacements. Even the PRP and Stem Cells work.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 09-22-2018 at 04:00 PM..

Old 09-22-2018, 03:39 PM

5,949 posts, read 5,117,063 times
[quote=greatblueheron;53159413]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post

-----

This...

I haven't gotten to a PT yet. I have a prescription from my primary but it sits on my table. I called my advantage medical insurance but I don't think anyone there knows what the answer is...... does my insurance cover PT? I'm not used to that kind of incompetence (my opinion). No one there seems to want to at least find out the answer for me. Disappointing.

I know, I need to get busy and dig harder for the answer. I don't seem to care anymore.

My primary gave me a prescription for a cane. Nope, haven't filled that either.

I think I'm having a hard time accepting that I am not able to do the things I used to do. I've always had to take care of myself and have been able to do so.

Old 09-22-2018, 03:45 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,874,855 times
PT is usually covered by insurance if ordered by MD...depends on policy of course.

I don't blame you for holding off on the cane.

You can try PT to see if muscle strengthening will help...it might. Maybe it will help you avoid the cane.

Old 09-22-2018, 03:47 PM

[quote=NYgal1542;53159737]
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post

I haven't gotten to a PT yet. I have a prescription from my primary but it sits on my table. I called my advantage medical insurance but I don't think anyone there knows what the answer is...... does my insurance cover PT? I'm not used to that kind of incompetence (my opinion). No one there seems to want to at least find out the answer for me. Disappointing.

I know, I need to get busy and dig harder for the answer. I don't seem to care anymore.

My primary gave me a prescription for a cane. Nope, haven't filled that either.

I think I'm having a hard time accepting that I am not able to do the things I used to do. I've always had to take care of myself and have been able to do so.
Didn't you have a good outcome with one knee, and wouldn't you do the other one. So many do both, I can't since I had horrible outcome with hip replacement mess.

Depending on one's insurance a lot of PT is covered and there is often a co pay for the patient.

It's very discouraging for sure, and my only saving grace is that I'm older and have done a lot of life so don't have huge urges to be out in the maddening crowds. I'm thankful for my walker, never thought I'd say that.

Old 09-22-2018, 03:58 PM

jaminhealth: I had a very successful outcome from my total right knee replacement. One of the reasons I think was I had planned to relocate the following summer (that did not happen). So I had a true incentive to work as hard as I could, grin through the pain, and recover.

A lot of things have happened since then. My left knee has pain very similar to what I had on the right before the surgery. But I have no desire to have surgery again. My dreams have more or less died. I can't even think of one thing I want to have happen (other than less pain). So life has gotten kind of dull and boring. I'm not putting myself out there to make things happen. I seem to have run into a wall.

I'm 76 so no spring chicken here. I hope I don't have to rely on a walker or cane.

It feels like life has come to an abrupt stop, tho I am still alive. No, I do not have a death wish.

Old 09-22-2018, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
jaminhealth: I had a very successful outcome from my total right knee replacement. One of the reasons I think was I had planned to relocate the following summer (that did not happen). So I had a true incentive to work as hard as I could, grin through the pain, and recover.

A lot of things have happened since then. My left knee has pain very similar to what I had on the right before the surgery. But I have no desire to have surgery again. My dreams have more or less died. I can't even think of one thing I want to have happen (other than less pain). So life has gotten kind of dull and boring. I'm not putting myself out there to make things happen. I seem to have run into a wall.

I'm 76 so no spring chicken here. I hope I don't have to rely on a walker or cane.

It feels like life has come to an abrupt stop, tho I am still alive. No, I do not have a death wish.
Well, I hope you don't either, but we can't always plan life. Walker and cane is much better than wheelchair if that's any consolation. It is for me. I never thought I'd end up with a hip replacement mess in 2010 that pushed this right knee to the damage that I live with...

All these joints are connected and if one has OA anyway, more surgery just brings more arthritis. A doctor on the radio says this who does PRP and Stem Cells. He has patients calling all the time with damaged joints and from surgeries too.

So for me I've had to adjust my HEAD or I'd be sitting in the corner and crying all the time. I sometimes try to cry for just a release and it doesn't come.

I have two neighbors who both had hip replacements, each had them both done..and the one walked fairly well before the first surgery and then with falls and then doing the other one, both need rollaters to walk around. So again for them these surgeries were not great and all the pain and work they went thru.

Believe me there are a lot of NOT great stories out there. And I know this issue is forever right there in my life but I can't let it eat me alive with anger as I fear I could end up with some other dread disease from the anger.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 09-22-2018 at 04:17 PM..

Old 09-22-2018, 04:19 PM

I understand there are studies being done to see how stem cell would be beneficial to knees, etc thus reducing need for surgery.

I am interested in learning more about this. I would definitely consider it if it was within my financial range. I don't think insurances will cover it, at least in the beginning.

Old 09-22-2018, 04:23 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,353,039 times
I kept going to the Chiro for my hip thinking that was what I needed... Not! I would be in worse pain after it. Ortho said nothing would help except a new hip, going to the Chiro was just making it more painful. I believe going to PT would have done the same thing.

Old 09-22-2018, 05:16 PM

I think I've re-read the Scientific American article 3 times and as I said it was written in 2008 and now I'm hearing on my radio info about 3 clinics now doing this work === 10 yrs after this article.

So work continues to be done on regeneration of cartilage.

Read the article, I usually skim over info but I really read it and read it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement