Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 11:18 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,260,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItIsWritten. View Post
Do you have a Dental Plan? If not, what do you do?
No, I use my Visa card with its 2% cash back. What do yo do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2018, 11:26 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,349,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
I ask for a CASH Discount.. Normally 10-15%

Is that because you don't have insurance or maybe a senior discount? Or just because you are paying cash?

Old 06-18-2018, 11:30 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
What do I do? I do what the dentist tells me to, floss between the teeth and under the gum line every day as well as brush

Haven’t had a cavity in a long time. Turns out, those dentists know what they’re talking about
I do the same, but fillings age, so does your gums. I’ve had a number of my fillings replaced. I’ve got a watch on one tooth, the filling is cracked. If that one goes, another crown. I also have receding gums. All of this being watched by my dentist.

I woke up with massive tooth pain and needed an immediate root canal and crown. That was an emergency.

Saying this? Over the long run paying for dental insurance would have been far more expensive than paying out of pocket. Around here the dental insurance I get offered is 100 something a month, and it covers like 80% of costs on normal things but on crowns only 1/2. Just that price of 100 bucks is 500 more than we pay out of pocket yearly normally.

Husband has some issues, and it’s been recommended he go every 4 months for cleaning and exam. My mom had to do that to offset bigger problems. Even an extra visit a year won’t tip the scales toward insurance. For us, it’s not worth it.

Old 06-18-2018, 11:48 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times
I haven't found to be of much value in the past, unless provided for free by employer.

I've been lucky enough to find a local dentist who doesn't take insurance and has much lower rates. So I pay out of pocket his full rates (about half of normal rates of other dentists). He gets immediate, full payment, and I get a reasonable value.

I try to take good care of my teeth. Flossing daily, brushing at least twice, sometimes more. I don't care how tired I am, or if I accidentally fall asleep....I never go to bed for the night without brushing. I also try to brush for as long as possible, to be thorough. Mouthwash. I do occasional at-home whitening which barely counters the stain effects of the coffee I drink daily. I've lightened up on eating sugar and hard foods.

But my enamel is much thinner than it used to be. I expect some corners to start chipping off as I get older. Enamel thinned as a result of drinking acidic drinks like Diet Coke for years. I didn't know about the acid effect of those, and neither did the dentists back then.

What dental policies DO pay for that's great is complete payment for exams and cleanings, I think, which have gotten very expensive (because of ins., IMO). Without a policy, I have to pay full price for that (although it's half the price of dentists that take insurance).

I don't know why more dentists don't give discounts to full payment without paperwork at time of service. But the couple I've asked do not.

Old 06-18-2018, 11:55 AM

130,290 posts, read 12,105,905 times
When we lived in the City, DH had alot of dental work done at the dental school, & he is very pleased with it. Now if I have a toothache, I just go to see dentist & pay for it. If it is an expensive fix, & it is a tooth at the back of my mouth, I just have them pull it.

Old 06-18-2018, 12:08 PM

13,630 posts, read 10,031,964 times
Yeah right. Let this gappy smile tell the story.

Old 06-18-2018, 12:31 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,085,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post

Don't you just love how the three things that are almost guaranteed to need care in our senior years - teeth, vision, and hearing - are NOT covered by medicare?
Maybe, if they ever go to a universal, one payer medical coverage, and everybody is on the same plan the younger people will push to have it included. Especially those with children.

Old 06-18-2018, 12:34 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,085,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I have Dental Insurance and its a complete waste of money. I'm dropping it the end of the year. It rarely pays the bill, even if it's a cleaning and exam. I never completely know if the dentist or the ins is the problem. I can go to. Participating Dentist for what is covered, and yet I'm stuck with the bill. I think the Dental business, and ins are crooked as hell inthis country.

I recommend put money in a bank account, that is strictly for Dental. Then pay cash. That is if you can find an honest Dentist.
Better yet, if you have an HSA, just use the money in that to pay for dental work. If you are still working and have an HSA that you can contribute to, max out your contributions every year you can. You can use it for a lot of things that Medicare does not cover.

Old 06-18-2018, 12:37 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,488,755 times
I have belonged to a dental clinic located in a local hospital that has a sliding scale. I have belonged since they opened.

The sliding scale goes up to a 100% discount on all routine services, and that's what I qualify for. Even at a much higher income, the discount can be as much as 83% discount.

Other services such as dentures and crowns and root canals are deeply discounted if you qualify for the discounted sliding scale.

There are places such as affordable dentures ( dot com) that offer dentures cheaper, though. At $300 for a full denture plate.

Even regular hospital services can be discounted under tgeir other sliding scale program. Mine offers a discount for income up to $95k a year. At tgat ibcone i think its only a 25% discount, but is better than nada. You do habe to have insurance for regular hospital services first, then your copays or above what the insurance pays is sliding scale adjustable.
No prior insurance is needed for the dental services, though.

Check out your local hospitals and dental clinics.

If you make more than the sliding scales allow, id think you could easily afford to pay for dental services, their higher limits are so high.

Old 06-18-2018, 12:45 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,663,404 times
I have a Dental Plan, it cost the same as the 2 annual cleaning visits. I have a full mouth of porcelain dental implants, that took almost two years to complete over 20 years ago. The cost was high but worth every dollar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement