Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 07:32 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,562,078 times

Advertisements

So I totally admit that traveling with me can be a little like riding on Cleopatra's barge. I am a chronic overpacker, I just break out in hives at the thought of needing something and not having it. And sorry I secretly think women who can go on a 7 day European vacation with 2 pairs of shoes are alien pod people..

Anyway, have a 4 day girls weekend in Florida coming up and trying to get down to 1 carryon.

Are you a light traveler? tips?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2018, 07:36 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,277,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
So I totally admit that traveling with me can be a little like riding on Cleopatra's barge. I am a chronic overpacker, I just break out in hives at the thought of needing something and not having it. And sorry I secretly think women who can go on a 7 day European vacation with 2 pairs of shoes are alien pod people..

Anyway, have a 4 day girls weekend in Florida coming up and trying to get down to 1 carryon.

Are you a light traveler? tips?
Depends if I have to carry my luggage or not.

The last trip we took - the tour company took care of all that, so I had the largest suitcase that the airlines allowed!

But I can also pack light. One thing I don't take is a pile of makeup and hair stuff. I cringe when I see what my niece and her daughter pack for an overnight. They are young and pretty - why need all that stuff?? Hmm - maybe it is all a mirage under the piles of makeup - lol?

Old 03-09-2018, 07:52 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,878,541 times
I'm retired so every day is a vacation. But when I was a worker bee and actually took vacations I had two bags, one for clothes and one for toiletries.

Old 03-09-2018, 08:53 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,562,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
I'm retired so every day is a vacation. But when I was a worker bee and actually took vacations I had two bags, one for clothes and one for toiletries.
you don't travel anymore now that you are retired? lol, I was hoping that I would be traveling MORE once I retired.

Old 03-09-2018, 09:00 AM

555 posts, read 595,695 times
I'm a light packer. I can get everything into a carry-on (which I usually check anyway since I fly Southwest; why kill my arms/shoulders/back trying to get it into an overhead bin?) plus a backpack that fits under the seat. I can do that be it a weekend trip or longer; we take an 8 night trip every winter to get away from the cold. My tips? Roll up everything you can (I taught that trick to my BF; he was AMAZED at how much room it saved!) Stuff your shoes with socks or undies to maximize space; what doesn't get stuffed in shoes gets stuffed into any little nook or cranny available. Speaking of shoes, limit them to the pair you wear on the plane plus one other pair if you can (admittedly, I am not a fashionista.) They take up too much room. Think of packing like a puzzle; how will everything fit best? For outerwear, think layers.

You can do it!! Have fun on your trip!

Old 03-09-2018, 09:06 AM

5,251 posts, read 3,610,760 times
Light traveler here... Put everything you feel want to pack on the bed & then try to reduce by half; every item of clothing should be able to go with any other item in style, color, etc., & avoid white, gets dirty too easily. Packing cubes/sleeves can help, if really tight for space leave behind things you can pick up cheap at destination: soap, shampoo, deodorant, hair spray, hat, etc., (leave space for souvenirs to bring back too)

Old 03-09-2018, 09:10 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,878,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
you don't travel anymore now that you are retired? lol, I was hoping that I would be traveling MORE once I retired.
Nope, other than exploring local ghost towns or Jeep trails.

Old 03-09-2018, 09:36 AM

17,710 posts, read 29,834,812 times
When I travel to Europe for a 22-day vacation, I take:

a. On my body: walking shoes, shorts, golf shirt, socks, underpants. Fleece (for rainy days). iPhone and wallet.

b. In my carryon bag:
1. 7 underpants
2. 1 socks
3. 5 golf shirts
4. 1 long pants (just in case I go to a very fancy restaurant)
5. 1 ditty bag

c. In my daypack:
1. 2 cloth napkins (I hate eating in restaurants and using paper napkins)
2. 1 100ml bottle [very] hot sauce
3. iPad
4. Paper journal (scissors, scotch tape, pen)

I stay in AirBnBs with washing machines.
I usually leave behind (into the trash) 5 undies and 4 shirts.
I agonize about the long pants. Spent 22 days in Portugal last Fall and never wore them.

Last edited by davebarnes; 03-09-2018 at 10:53 AM..

Old 03-09-2018, 09:39 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,799,960 times
Light. Probably underwear, shorts, island shirts, swimsuit, sandals and toiletries if it is my idea of a vacation. If it is not a warm weather vacation and/or not the coast, there might be jeans, different casual shirts, a jacket and light hikers instead. Almost never anything that isn't casual (unless there is a wedding or funeral; but that really isn't a vacation) and maybe one extra changes of clothes at most..

Old 03-09-2018, 09:57 AM

16,076 posts, read 21,159,132 times
I only take two pair of shoes also. One pair for walking and another nice pair for dinner, etc. For me that usually means a pretty pair of sandals or low heeled peep toes if I have to get dressed up. The important thing for me is my outfits are matched to the shoes, not the other way around, so that I don't need different shoes for different outfits.
Clothing that can be rolled up as previous posters have mentioned. A men's shave kit case holds minimal make up, toiletries and hair care and skincare items.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement