Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 05:21 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times

Advertisements

Light packer. Even in my house. I love having half/empty closets and cabinets. Hate clutter.

Take flowy stuff and roll it up. Roll everything up. Even 4 days will fit in a carry on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2018, 07:45 AM

6,353 posts, read 11,591,423 times
My last trip to Europe I carried a 30 liter backpack (that's a large daypack or small overnight) and an insulated grocery bag. My biggest issue was a last minute rainy forecast so I packed a bulky rain jacket that I only really really needed one day. Because of the jacket the bag puffed up as big as the backpack.

Otherwise I was pretty good - 2 pair nylon pants 1 pr cotton. 3-4 lightweight shirts, 4-5 underwear, 3 bras, various socks. one "luxury" was a pair of slip on skeechers. They are very lightweight (9oz) if a bit bulky. When I go shopping I heft the items to feel how light and compact they are. All my clothes I wasn't wearing fit in a 21 x 14 zipped pillowcase plus a gallon zip lock for the underwear and socks. I'd wear my hiking boots mostly but took some walks in the skeechers to give my feet a break. They are nice enough to wear in a restaurant and the pants are pretty nice/formal looking though comfortable.

I am planning a trip soon that will include a few days of cross country backpacking. So I am trying to limit myself to 8 lbs for in a 3 lb backpack. My cooler will be a very lightweight little insulated lunch box. This is great for being able to carry cheese and snacks if you are able to freeze a bottle of water each night at the guesthouse/hostel.

If this trip looks to be really rainy I may invest in a super lightweight and compact raincoat. Or pack an umbrella.

Old 03-12-2018, 08:12 AM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
I am 64, and here are some tips I have picked up, and they all involve color coordination.

I choose colors and separates that all harmonize together, so I only need ONE jacket and, at most, three pairs of shoes -- so you can get a lot of different outfits with just three tops, three bottoms, and one jacket.

Old 03-13-2018, 06:10 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,488,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
So I totally admit that traveling with me can be a little like riding on Cleopatra's barge. I am a chronic overpacker, I just break out in hives at the thought of needing something and not having it. And sorry I secretly think women who can go on a 7 day European vacation with 2 pairs of shoes are alien pod people..

Anyway, have a 4 day girls weekend in Florida coming up and trying to get down to 1 carryon.

Are you a light traveler? tips?
We are light packers. We can get by with a carryon for 7 days in Hawai'i, for example.

I wear polyester type moisture wicking undies. They scrunch well, dry easily overnight even if only washed in the sink in the hotel room.

EVERYTHING is mix-n-match, can be worn twice, even undies can be worn twice unless you've soiled yourself. The idea IS a bit repulsive in our wear once and wash society, but in a pinch it works. EVERYTHING can be washed together in ONE load with no bleeding, etc, so IF we do have to do a load, it's "one and done", not spending a day doing it.

I take: 6 undies, 6 prs socks, 3 moisture wicking tshirts, two or three short sleeve shirts. One long sleeve shirt, two prs shorts, one long khaki, one set "sleeping clothes "( lightweight pjs complete set), one extra pr shoes, slippers, one lightweight jacket, one "travel suit javket " and rolled up tie. One mini folding umbrella, one rain poncho ( $1 at the dollar store), several of dif. Sizes ziplocs. One swimsuit that can double as extra pr shorts.
Slightly different if going to a winter locale)

Professional packers say lay out what you want to take, and then put 1/2 back. Rinse and repeat a second time.

If, big if, I NEED something else I can buy at the end location in going to.

Most USA hotels, for example DO have laudromats.

I also scout out the UPS store and ship home slow ground all the souvenirs and extras home, to arrive after I get back. That eliminates the need for space in the suitcase. Yes, even from Hawai'i.

Hope this helps, eliza....have a fun girls weekend!

Old 03-13-2018, 06:42 PM

983 posts, read 2,774,128 times
I always do carry on and personal bag only ...no checked luggage....EXCEPT when we go on cruises and that's the only time I do checked luggage. That's because I like to have a larger variety of clothing types for cruises, including dressy clothes.

But for all other trips, carry on only.

Some of my tips:

Bring clothes that mix and match with each other.
One pair of black pants is all you need, pants-wise They go with every top.
1 pair of dress shoes (if you need them)....black, to match your black pants (that go with everything)
Mini bottles only for toiletrees. I have found a mini bottle of shampoo, for example, lasts a week for 2 people. No big bottles are necessary.
some clothes can be worn more than once, like shorts. Just bring a couple pairs. You don't need 7 pairs for one week.
Minimize shoes overall. Bring shoes that go with many styles of clothing so you don't need to bring as many. For a typical one week vacation (warm weather) I will bring casual sandals that can dress up or down, flip flops and one pair of dress shoes.
If you need to bring hair styling appliances like blow dryer or curlers, bring the smaller travel sized ones. They are a good investment and you can use them every time you travel.

Old 03-13-2018, 08:05 PM

1,174 posts, read 2,533,449 times
I’m quite a heavy packer. I’ve tried to pack lighter, but it seems difficult for me. Luckily DH and I are capable of lugging stuff around.

Old 03-14-2018, 01:43 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,888,406 times
We're going to Florida next week, for 4 days/nights. We're taking ONE carry on. I have 1 pair of flip flops, 3 pair of shorts, 4 t-shirts, and toiletries already in my half. It's Florida. What do you need other than shorts and t-shirts and sandals?? If you think you'll need a jacket, WEAR IT! I'll also be wearing jeans, tennis shoes, and my hat.
It's not a third world country, there's a Walgreen's on every corner for anything you can't fit in.

Old 03-14-2018, 01:51 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,888,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
I usually have a pair of sandals and a pair of nicer dress shoes. So 4 pairs of shoes, 5 if I am taking my ankle-supporting hiking boots. Unfortunately solid shoes take up a lot of luggage space.
She's going to Florida for FOUR days!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement